Down to Three Choices

Down to Three Choices

This is a discussion on Down to Three Choices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking in to handguns for a gift to myself for my 21st for concealed carry, and have been looking around online for a while ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Down to Three Choices

Down to Three Choices

I'm looking in to handguns for a gift to myself for my 21st for concealed carry, and have been looking around online for a while now. I have it narrowed down to either a Sig P220 Carry, Springfield Compact XD 45, or the Springfield Champion Operator.

Any thoughts on these?

Firing is more or less not an option. The most I can get is just getting a feel for them in the shop.

Three guns, three different operation systems. Sig 220 is a "traditional" double action, where the first shot has the trigger cock the hammer and subsequent shots are single action. The XD has a trigger similar to a Glock or Smith & Wesson M+P. The Springfield Champion is the classic 1911 single action, carried cocked & locked.

All are good guns, and .45 is a reliable fight-stopper. It really comes down to what you feel most comfortable with, both from the standpoint of what feels good in your hand and the ease of manipulating controls, as well as your comfort level with the operating system. Some folks are nervous carrying Condition One (cocked & locked); some can't tolerate the long trigger pull of the first shot with a traditional DA; and some don't like the longish reset of the 'safe-action' triggers of the Glock/SD/M&P design.

You won't go wrong with ANY of those... all quality guns. Personal choice? I own and carry 1911s, a Sig 220, and a Glock 23... but from your list, I'd choose the Springer Champ... flattest & most compact of the bunch (but not the lightest). Huge assortment of aftermarket support parts, holsters, mags, and gunsmiths. Plus nothing feels quite as "right" in my hand as a 1911!

Do post back with what you ended up choosing!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Those are 3 handguns with significant differences. I would try to handle/shoot all of them, and see which one feels best to you.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

why these ?

Why did you choose those 3? What is your criteria and/or specific purpose? We have a Springfield but not that specific one. It's awesome. Have you held or shot any of them? I think it's interesting to see what others are looking for and the guns that they find to suit their purposes.

If you like SIG and don't like traditional DA/SA triggers, you could always look at the P220 Carry SAO. It has a short light trigger pull and a thumb safety. It is the only one of the three w/out a grip safety.

You might want to look at the Glock 21SF or the Glock 30SF. I've never had a single problem with my G21 even after I had Robar reshape the grip to fit my hand better. I understand the SF versions are similar in feel from the factory compared to my customized frame.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I'd go with one of the Springers, just for their customer service. Their guns are great also.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have owned a springfield and sig 220 for all day carry the good old 1911 can not be beat but it is a matter
    of personal comfort.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Get the 1911 Springfield Operator. I love the 1911 out of those choices.

Springfield Champion Operator.

Of the three choices you mentioned, I would pick the Springfield Champion Operator for a carry .45. I don't own this particular gun but have looked at the specs, which show an aluminum framed 1911 with 4 inch barrel and government (not officer's) grip length. I linked to a picture of it below from the web.

I am biased by the fact that I prefer a 1911 for carry in .45 caliber, and like the flat profile of the gun, the SA trigger and the ergonomics of the grip. I have a Kimber Pro CDP which corresponds closely to the Springfield Champion Operator.

I would modify the Springfield slightly with a single side thumb safety instead of the stock ambi safety, as well as thin grip panels. This would make the overall gun a thinner package for concealment. I would also find the accessory rail on the gun to be slightly superfluous, as I don't use lights or lasers on a carry gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Such a range! This is where you need to shoot/handle each and decide for yourself. Your list of choices is good, but what will work best for you is something you need to figure out.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Pick the one you think you'll carry and practice with the most. Don't worry about brands, looks, capacity, whatever. Size, weight, and reliability are paramount in my opinion, with caliber being a close second consideration. All three are reliable, and all are .45s, so size and weight are what you should be looking at the most, especially thickness...in my opinion the most important dimension in a carry gun.

When I bought my first gun, I bought one I knew I'd carry...it was small, and lightweight (Smith and Wesson 637). A perfect carry gun. But unpleasant to shoot for any amount of time, so I never became proficient with it. Bad choice.

You'll need to handle all three and take a look for yourself, but FOR ME, the Springfield 1911 would be the one I'd choose. A compact 1911 is a joy to carry, even the larger sizes aren't too bad. Double stack firearms like the XD don't always work best for carry in my experience, sometimes they can be a bit uncomfortable and harder to conceal during warmer seasons. Either case could end up with you leaving it at home. The Sig P220 is a close second as it is a single stack, but looks to me like it's a bit larger than the 1911...so my vote goes to the 1911.

My judgement is not based on personal experience on any of these (other than a 1911), but just on some accepted norms and photo comparisons. Try them all out for yourself for a better idea.

Cliffs notes: if this is going to be your first (and only for a while) carry gun, pick the one easiest to carry. I strongly recommend picking the thinnest of the three, which is likely to be the 1911. Much more comfortable and easier to conceal.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Thats a tough one, especially since you will not have an opportunity to shoot one prior to purchasing it. Another thing you might want to consider is the cost to feed your new present. Ammo in general isn't cheap and 45 in particular

Cool

I know it may be a tad large for some however I felt this should atleast be a consideration as 14 rounds of .45 ACP can be quite comfoting.

photo.jpg

Click photo to enlarge.

Also the G-36 is a nice compact package.

photo.JPGphoto.jpg
    Last edited by Old School; April 8th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

All of them are fine weapons. I love the 1911 but I would probably go with the XD 45C out of those choices.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Several years ago I looked at 2 of the same, XD .45 Compact and Sig 220 carry. I chose the XD because I didn't like the Sig double/single action and favored the XD's higher capacity. Now that I have a Glock 19 9mm & 23 and 27 .40, I carry the XD less than before, it's a lot heavier than the Glocks.
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links