Beginning the journey

Beginning the journey

This is a discussion on Beginning the journey within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am very very new to firearms. Last week, I purchased my first handgun a Taurus Judge 45-410 3" barrel which I plan to use ...

Thread: Beginning the journey

Beginning the journey

I am very very new to firearms. Last week, I purchased my first handgun a Taurus Judge 45-410 3" barrel which I plan to use for personal protection in our home. Since then, I've been reading threads on this forum as well as articles on the web, watching videos, and visiting manufactures web sites. I've spoked with individuals who have been shooting for years. Later this month, my local sheriff is sponsoring a class for beginners like me. My plan was to purchase a 22 and learn the basics. I thought that with a good 22 I could learn and shoot without breaking the bank on ammo. Then, I planned to purchase a 45, a 9, and a 380 that I could carry. Manufactures that I was considering Glock, Kahr, Ruger, and Springfield. Yesterday, I walked into a Cabela's so that I could handle a few different weapons.

We started with a Glock 36 and Kahr PM9. Honestly, I had my heart set on the Glock. However, after handeling the Glock and Kahr I felt the Kahr was right for me. Next, we moved to the 22. After trying several different models I tried a Sig Sauer Mosquito which ended my search.

I walked out with the Sig Mosquito and 1,000 rounds of ammo.

Now, I need to get to the local range and test phase one of my plan.

Other thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Mike:

Your plan is sound, with a few changes only you'll notice. Congrats on beginning the journey. Get all of the training you can. Invest in yourself. Welcome!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Shoot a lot and shoot often. When you pick pistols, your main consideration should be for how the gun feels in YOUR hands. Does it feel balanced? Is it a natural pointer? Basically, does it feel right. Of course go with one of the major makers like Glock, S&W, Ruger, Kahr, Springfield etc.

It sounds like that's already how you ended up with the Sig Mosquito.

I have a friend who has a Sig Mosquito that I have shot. You are in for a good time. You will be shopping for more ammo soon.
    Good advice from Rock and Glock also. Learn--Train-- Practice.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Congrats. Remember safety first!!
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Welcome! I was just like you a few months back and I've been learning ever since. Here is something someone posted about when to use lethal force. I though it was excellent and worth sharing.

Drill this into your head... When there is an immediate, and otherwise unavoidable threat of death, or crippling injury to yourself or another innocent person!

Dissect and understand each and every word in that statement. Each word in that phrase has literal meaning to it. Learn it, know it, live it.

The two words, "otherwise unavoidable" are just as important as the rest. Live by that phrase and employ lethal force only when that situation presents itself and you'll generally be okay in all 50 states.

Just to help you out as to what constitutes an "Immediate and otherwise threat of death" is generally looked at in terms of the attacker possessing the following three components: Ability/Opportunity/Jeopardy

Ability: The attacker must possess the ability to kill or cripple you. This generally means that he has a weapon capable of inflicting lethal or crippling injury. A gun, a knife (or other edged weapon), a club of sufficient size and weight capable of killing or maiming, etc.

Opportunity: The attacker must at least have the opportunity to use the weapon to kill or cripple you. For example, a gun can be used against you at considerable distance, whereas a man threatening you with a two foot piece of lead pipe, but is standing across the parking lot 30 yards away does not have the opportunity to kill you with it (at least not until he closes the distance and gets a lot closer).

Jeopardy: Often the word is interchanged with intent, means that the person must be actively threatening to harm you with deeds, actions, behavior or verbal threats which are believable. A man casually standing there with a holstered weapon on his person certainly has the opportunity and ability to kill or cripple anyone in the immediate area, but unless he is actually placing you in jeopardy by deeds, actions, behavior or verbal threats, you aren't warranted in responding with lethal force until said person actually places you in jeopardy by his actions and intent to hurt you.

All three of those components, (ability, opportunity and jeopardy) must be present all at the same time to be construed as placing a person in what is referred to as "Immediate and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or crippling injury" in which you would be justified in using lethal force of your own to repel the attack.

Each state has their own nuances and specifics you should be aware of. And there are a lot of "grey areas" which may make a difference. Each situation is going to be unique to you and your specific situation, but generally speaking if you stick to the tenants of the fact that you must be in "immediate and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or crippling injury," which also means the person possesses the "ability to kill or cripple, has the opportunity to kill or cripple, and has placed you in jeopardy by deeds or actions", you should be okay to employ lethal force in that instance.

Take the time to learn your state laws!
    Last edited by SAR in FL; April 8th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Best regards,
    Steve
    Ruger P345 Ruger LCP

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." - Winston Churchill

Make sure you know the "rules"!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Focus on training first, and then practice what you learn. Practice without knowledge can just ingrain bad habits. Know what you are doing, do what you know

Woot! Way to go Mike!!!

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

gtv
    Congratulations!! Good choice on your first firearms, I am sure you will enjoy the Mosquito immensely. But be warned -- there is no known cure for the addiction. Luckily, you have already found a support group
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by gtv View Post
    Congratulations!! Good choice on your first firearms, I am sure you will enjoy the Mosquito immensely. But be warned -- there is no known cure for the addiction. Luckily, you have already found a support group
    The addition was short and swift just like my Android phone! Wow two addictions! I will need a lot of help ;)
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Your plan sounds just like my plan just over two years ago. I, too, was new to handguns.

I bought the wife and me each a Ruger Mark III .22 for practice. After a few hundred rounds through each, they are now certified safe queens, and haven't been fired in about two years. They are difficult to clean and both liked to jam. I'll save them to take the grandkids to the range when they get older.

We then got ourselves nice, slim carry guns - each a Kimber Ultra. She ended up having trouble racking hers (the Ultra Aegis II has a slick finish on the slide), and my Kimber had reliability issues early on that have since been remedied by a pistolsmith.

Lately, I'm most likely toting my Glock 19, and she carries her S&W 642 when she feels like it. I also managed to pick up a beautiful Sig Sauer P226 that now does home defense duty in a small safe in the bedroom.

I own too many darn guns, now, but I bought them when I could afford them, and they aren't eating anything. I take them all out and shoot them occasionally, and plan to hold on to them. ...unless I need to sell them to pay rent...

MadMac, the time to sell anything is when you DON'T HAVE TOO. Never sell wen you need money. It gets very expencive to replace them later. Don't ask how I know......
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Congrats! You're off to a good start. This forum is a great source of info. Like others said, memorize the basic safety rules. Practice often (especially if you plan to carry). Learn as much as you can to be knowledgeable about the diverse field (ammo choices, gun handling techniques, safety, defensive scenarios, gun law, case studies, etc.).

As much as possible, try out potential guns at the range before buying. Reading lots of great reviews about Glocks and Kahrs can make you want one, but it may not work for you at the range. I'd also check out the S&W M&P line in addition to the ones you mentioned in your post. Also consider a short barrel revolver for its reliability and concealability. Examples would be S&W 642 or 442 (airweights), Ruger LCR, Ruger SP101 (heavier, but .357 magnum).

Four Rules of Gun Safety:
    1. Always regard and handle any firearm as though it is loaded, at all times.
    2. Always keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have made the decision to shoot.
    3. Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
    4. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond.

Sponsored Links