Would you carry a .22 Mag?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a .22 Mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I'd rather have it than a rock - but it's a close call....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you carry a .22 Mag?

I guess I'd rather have it than a rock - but it's a close call.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

2. Remove Ads

I used to carry a NAA .22mag. because it was so easy to always have with me and I figured the small caliber was better than nothing. I now carry the NAA .32 as a BUG. I switched because the ballistics of the .32 ACP are significantly better. Oddly enough, the small mini revolver wasn't always 100% reliable. The cylinder pin used to back out and the cylinder would bind on the occasional spent cartridge. The NAA has been 100%. They are even close to the same size, but the auto is heavier.

Excellent as an ankle gun (351PD). Very light and reliable as a second or third gun. John

I see no problem with using a 22 magnum. My wife carries one in her bike. I carried and still have a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 with a 3 inch barrel. I can put six shots in three inches at face to face range, rapid fire. It has been across the U.S. several times with me on my bike. It is easy to conceal and fast to present. A .22 has long been the choice for hit men. You have to be very picky where you put your rounds. Choose good ammo. Use it till you can afford an upgrade.
    Plus ammo is cheap.

Semper Fi

Most people who show disrespect for the 22mag are also very likely to leave home some days without any gun at all. Sure, I'd love to bring an assault rifle with me to the store, but the NAA Black Widow is a gun you can carry every day. That is more important than a 38 special at home. If you are anticipating needing a 45 every day, consider moving.

Quote Originally Posted by whiffelball
    Most people who show disrespect for the 22mag are also very likely to leave home some days without any gun at all.
    Really? Most? Stats/proof, please. BTW, questioning the ability of a round to stop an assault isn't disrespect.

If you are anticipating needing a 45 every day, consider moving.
    That's simply not rational. Might as well say anticipation of needing defense at all requires moving.

Shti happens ... on the "good" side of the tracks and the "bad." Criminals have become so persistent and invasive they exist in many corners of our daily lives. Merely wishing away the severity of an attack or the relative usefulness of a given package/load for someone does little. There is no telling when or where, anymore. If it's going to go down, might as well be armed with what will stop the assault. Better training, better arms, better preparation: better than less, every day of the week. For those that would twist this, this isn't to say one's selection isn't enough. Merely, that there are more-powerful options available.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most people who show disrespect for the 22mag are also very likely to leave home some days without any gun at all.
    "Fatal Shooting in Doniphan Appears to be Case of Self-Defense"
    As reported on July 14th by KAIT Jonesboro, AR
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=11969
    Defense with a .22LR or Mag is not nuts and very many men including this wolf have been put to rest via as much as per history.

...If you are anticipating needing a 45 every day, consider moving.
    "Armed citizen stops stabbing rampage in Memphis Grocery Store"
    July 21st, 2006, 10:05 AM
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=12161

Where exactly would you suggest one move to.
    Every blue moon or so even the residents of 1600 Penn. Ave., the safest piece of air in the world, see a trepasser and/or crazy with malintent.
    Stuff happens everyday, everywhere to anyone and often at the least time one might expect it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

No -

And THIS:
    I believe the .22 mag won't be that much of a step down from .38 special and 380 and is just as good as .32acp.
    is very flawed thinking...

.22mag does no come close to a .38spl...

.32mag gets closer but is still a distant (but potentially effective) substitute.

IMO, a .22lr or a .22mag should be a LAST resort Carry weapon...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Federals wesite claims that their 110 38 Special Hydra Shok delivers 235 foot lbs of energy and a velocity of 980fps, both at the muzzle. While their .30 grain 22 Magnum V-Shok give 322 foot lbs of energy and a velocity of 2200fps, both at the muzzle.

Does the fact that the .22 mag delivers more energy make any difference? I'm not an expert on different ammunition. That's why I asked. I just thought that the more energy a round delivered over another made it somewhat better. Being that this is for a back-up gun I thought the .22 mag would be just fine.

Also Federals 32 auto delivers twice the grain weight but less than half the energy at 123 foot lbs. Is this still a better round?

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Make sure of the barrel length- the 22 mag is really a rifle round. Out of a short barrel pistol, it loses lots of its umph. But I have a chart somewhere that gives 22 mag ballistics out of a revolver (probably 4 or 6 inch barrel, however) and it wasn't too bad- maybe 100- 150 or so ft/lbs if I remember correctly. I will look for it.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I'd carry one as a BUG. You have to be a lot more certain you can put those .22 rounds where you want them, but as a BUG definitely. Even as deep concealment, it's better than the handgun at home.

Senior Moderator
    It's better than nothing, but as a general rule the .22 is the gun you carry when you are not going to carry a gun.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

i have a keltec p-32 what u mean not reliable with right ammo have 2000 rounds through 4 ftf in begining and they have lifetime guarantee just send back if something breaks

I used to carry a Sig Mosquito, in 22cal, With my bad arthritis, it was all i could manage, Since having therapy im up to carrying a glock19.
    The moral to the story?, carry what you can, but carry!!
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links