Would you carry a .22 Mag? - Page 3

Would you carry a .22 Mag?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a .22 Mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; '75scout - I do nearly every evening on my wife & my evening walks... I carry i 'LIL .22 Mag. NAA Black Widow loaded w/ ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you carry a .22 Mag?

erh

Lightbulb .22 Mag carry?

'75scout - I do nearly every evening on my wife & my evening walks... I carry i 'LIL .22 Mag. NAA Black Widow loaded w/ 2 rounds of "Face-Shot.."; Oh excuse me; "Snake-Shot," followed by (3) Very "Hot" Mag. HP's.., in case the first (2) don't get the Bad Guy to "Re- Access the situation..!
    The "Snake'Shot" kept my wife from getting bitten by a "Substantial" sized dog not 1 week ago or so... So, Yes, I would & do..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

I am a big fan of the keltec p-32 . I know that a .32 isn't the ultimate man stopper but living in Phoenix I don't always have the motivation for the .357. with a uncle mikes pocket holster it disappears and stays put. I like that options because if things start feeling hinky you can put your hand in your pocket nonchalantly. My biggest gripe with the p32 is the sights.

At around 500 rounds the only problem I have had with it was when my brother inlaw stuffed the mag in backwards and seemed to think that pushing it against the counter would solve the problem.

Did you slap him in the back of the head? I'm thinking of getting the S&W 351PD to serve as my BUG pocket gun to my SIG 220. I'm sure I'll end up carrying it alone at times, but don't plan to much.

Unless my Kahr PM40 returns in working order. I can fire the Kahr with good accuracy and speed. I rented a S&W 340PD and shot the lightest 38 loads they had. I could barely keep them on the paper and my follow-ups were horrible. So the 340 or 360 might not be the best idea for a bug for me.

While I generally don't carry anything smaller than a .380, as some others have said, a .22 is better than nothing. I know if I was a bad guy, and someone pulled out a .22 and pointed in my general direction, I'd go the other way as fast as I could.

But that's just me.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Nope. If I were real desperate I would just get a second .38 derringer (or .45 for that matter).
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    75 Scout,
    Your getting lots of advice. Personally, I would carry a .22 mag as a BUG under some circumstances. Other calibers are better first choices, but at close range, such as would probably be the case for a BUG, several rounds of .22 mag can be very devastating if put in the right place. Rounds to the throat, face, or eyes would be hard to survive. The big question is whether they would stop a BG if he was in the process of shooting or stabbing when you hit him with the .22's. That's your biggest gamble. That said, many other chosen calibers don't always stop a BG quick enough either. Sure makes you wish you could carry a .50 cal Browning doesn't it!

I figure if I cannont shoot a 38 accurately and quickly it is just as good or bad as a .22 Mag I can precisely and quickly put into action. Another part of this is that I will practice alot more than I would with the 38 Airweight, due to how punishing it is.

Before I would buy the S&W 351PD in .22 WMR, I would buy the
    S&W 432PD in .32H&R. More Power, same size, hundreds of $ less.
    I would rather have 6- .32H&R than 7- .22WMR

That said, yes I would carry the .22WMR.

(I don't carry a BUG.) If I did I kinda like the idea of a BUG being of the same caliber as my primary. My primary is an XD-45.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

OD*
    Would you carry a .22 Mag?
    Sure, it's all about shot placement and not caliber, right?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If it was the only gun I could afford and have, yes I would carry a .22 Magnum. It could take a couple mags to knock the attacker down, but it can be done with a .22.

.22 magnum

Yes. Contrary to popular belief, .22 magnum is pretty powerful stuff. I carried a NAA .22 magnum mini revolver for several years. It would put a CCI Maxi-Mag hollow point all the way through a pine 2x4 at 5-7 yards. If it would do this, think about what it would do to a bad guy's chest or head. I would find that carrying a 7 shot .22 magnum revolver more than adequate for self defense.

PAPACHUCK where can you find the 432PD? I did not see them on the S&W website.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    '75scout-
    they stopped making those, but you can still get them from some dealers and order them- still in the system. that is one of my favorite calibers and is an interesting revolver.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    PAPACHUCK where can you find the 432PD? I did not see them on the S&W website.
    Unfortunately, S&W has discontinued both the 431PD and the 432PD.
    This I'm sure is due to lack of sales, but it is a shame because both of fine revolvers do make a wonderful BUG.

I have been watching Gunbroker.com and Auction Arms for them and they do show up occasionally. There are still some on dealers' shelves. An alternative would be the Taurus 731, albeit at the expense of 10 or so oz. increase in weight.

I had the opportunity to hold one at a dealer in Baton Rouge a few weeks ago, and I am still kicking myself in the a** for not buying it.

I will find one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links