Would you carry a .22 Mag?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a .22 Mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so here's the senario. I have a Kahr PM40 that should, fingers crossed, get back from the factory next week sometime. If it continues ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you carry a .22 Mag?

Ok so here's the senario. I have a Kahr PM40 that should, fingers crossed, get back from the factory next week sometime. If it continues to be unreliable after another 250 to 300 rounds I'll be getting rid of it. So I've been look at my options for a good pocket pistol to replace it with. Hopefully I won't have to but I'm looking none the less.

I'm looking at Kel-Tec P32s and P3ATs. But they seem to have the same crap shoot reputation that Kahr has. And I've already fired a P3AT. It was crappy and the KT's are at the bottom of my list. I also like the Seecamp LWS32. The one in my local gun store is only $409 and seems to be built like a tank.

However, I'm starting to believe that in this small of a platform it might be better to go with a revolver. Especially for a pocket gun because pocket lint can get inside and clog up the works. I like the S&W 351PD. It weighs 10.5 oz and carries 7 rounds of .22 mag. I believe the .22 mag won't be that much of a step down from .38 special and 380 and is just as good as .32acp.

But because this is mostly for a BUG and will be carried as a primary on very rare occasions when concealment is a problem. I think 22 mag isn't all that bad. I like the 7 round capacity because I won't be carrying reloads for this gun and I think rapid shot placement is more improtant that a slightly more powerful round. If I do have a FTF because its a rimfire I can instantly pull the trigger again.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I believe the .22 mag won't be that much of a step down from .38 special and 380 and is just as good as .32acp.

But because this is mostly for a BUG and will be carried as a primary on very rare occasions when concealment is a problem. I think 22 mag isn't all that bad. I like the 7 round capacity because I won't be carrying reloads for this gun and I think rapid shot placement is more improtant that a slightly more powerful round. If I do have a FTF because its a rimfire I can instantly pull the trigger again.
    Gee Scout, I don't know about a .22mag being as effective as a .38...there's always +P....Personally I'd get the .38, I'd rather hit a BG with 2 or 3 +p .38s than some .22 mags. I think that based on the velocity and size of slug that you might over penetrate and not relly do enough damage.

I've met 2 people from Detroit that have been shot with .22's, and all they needed was some antibiotics and a bandage. Wether or not they were mags or not I don't know. But the fact remains that .22 is not all that big. What puts targets down is impact trama, organ damage, and arterial blood loss. IMHO the .22 won't provide enough of any of those factors, the round probally won 't muchroom and that will leave a smaller wound track.

Personally I'd rather have a good caliber Derringer in .45 or 410 than a .22 revolver. I'd still stcik with a Simth 642.

Senior Moderator

No.

IF it was the ONLY gun I could afford I would get another job just to buy something more effective.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Nope unless it was the bug to the bug to the bug

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - but it is BUG or under-bug! The NAA Mini in .22 mag is so easy to slip in a pocket - hardly need to ever be without it.

The round from the small NAA gives a velocity apparently about same as .22 LR out of a rifle - so I am guessing maybe 1200 or so. Not hyper effective but - sure worse than a pin-*****!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I wouldn't go that small for a primary gun. A j-frame is a great pocket carry gun, but I would go with a .38 or even .32 mag for caliber over the .22 mag.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    No.

IF it was the ONLY gun I could afford I would get another job just to buy something more effective.
    Agree 100%--would be carried as a last resort only, and for as short a time as possible.

LWS32--not a gun for a lot of rounds--KTs more reliable. LWS service has been poor at best.

Just me, but 38 Special +P is the least gun I carry, and when I carry one, well I carry two.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I use a P3AT and have not had any problems with it and I have over 500 rounds through it without a FTF or FTE. It is a second generation and works well. My wife has the P-32 and it shoots fine as well.

I would not be very comfortable with a .22 mag as a primary carry. The reason is a story told to me by a deputy sheriff. He said that a very large BG attempted to rob a man and wife outside a local restaurant and began beating the husband senseless. The wife, fearing that he was going to kill her husband, pulled out a .22 mag (don't know the make) and emptied the magazine into his back. All COM at a distance of about three feet, with almost no effect as he continued beating on her husband. The BG took off running and was caught when he went to a clinic, a few days later because the bullets holes became infected.

I know that a .380 isn't the best gun to have in a situation, but this time of year with shorts and a tee shirt, it sure slips nicely into a pocket holster.

Well I know that many people think .22s suck. If the .22 mag out of a NAA mini is the same as a .22lr out of a rifle I don't think it's that bad out for a BUG. Back Up Gun is the context in which I was speaking. I'm not talking about for primary carry. Thats what my SIG 220 and it's nine 230 grainers are for. The only time this will be my primary is when my dress doesn't allow me to carry thhe SIG. I'm just tired of buying guns that don't function properly. I'm a student so funds are tight and I need the best pocket gun I can buy.

I have seen what a .22lr did to a jack rabbits head at 50 yards or so out of a Marlin bolt action. The only thing left was the ears, cheeks, and wiskers. The entire skull was detroyed. I was impressed at the destructive power of the .22lr. Sure it didn't have enough power to send the rabbit flying end over end.

Also I am a little leary about firing 38+Ps out of a 12oz J-Frame. I have never shot one. I know alot of members carry them so if any of you could tell me what its like that would help alot. 165 grainers out of my Kahr PM40 isn't bad at all, although my follow-up shots are a little sluggish. Would it be easier/worse to shoot the J-frames in 38 over the PM40? I believe my range has some airweights to rent, if so I need to give them some range time.

Well, I'd much rather have a .22 mag than nothing. With that said, if I was buying a gun right now and it was for pocket carry, and used for self defense I would probably opt for a small 9mm, or .38/.357. Sure, a .22 Mag can get the job done, but the odds are much better with the 9 and .38
    Beretta 92FS

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have a 351PD and have had big time ejection problems, as in i have to tap the empties out. I have written SW and started a thread about this a few topics down.
    I like the guns, but I wouldn't use one as a concealed handgun except maybe when flyfishing (which i bought it for). They are cool and have lanyard rings!
    but get a smith airlite 38 special instead- those are also cheaper than the 351PDs.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

The 637's are about $350-400 on gunbroker. But they weigh 15oz, which is 50% more. Granted that's still not that much. But thanks for the heads up on the ejection problems. That's exactly the thing I'm trying to avoid. I would think you could polish the chambers of the cylider, but how the heck could you fit anything in there to polish it with.

How sturdy is the fiber optic sight? They look a little to flimsy for pocket carry. If the sight got caught on the pocket it seems like it would get ripped off.

I like the lil' magnum, but I prefer it in a long gun.
    Theres always the .38 special. How about Taurus' lil' 9mm revolver, or even a .32 magnum if you wanna be different...

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    75scout-
    I am not sure how to polish titanium, or if that is even feasible. The sight on the gun seems very sturdy and would be no problem. Do not get me wrong- the gun is very cool and I really like it, but I am not sure it has any practical use (except maybe when flyfishing as I said). But so what? I like it anyway. Now, the ejection issue is important, and I await word from the Sages of Springfield.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Well, I'd much rather have a .22 mag than nothing.
    Ditto. However, I would never consciously go out to purchase a .22 for carry as a primary weapon, when there are many better options out there. There is simply too little damage done by a .22 round. If you find yourself having to fire to stop an attack, you want to create the largest, quickest amount of internal damage as possible. Part of that is accuracy, 'cause you can't drop what you don't hit. Part of that is penetration and expansion, 'cause you can't damage what gets poked with a pinprick. You had better strike vital organs immediately, if you hope to stop an attacker.

Think how quickly an attacker at 10yds can approach, if riled. In such a situation, could you really hit vital organs damagingly enough in that short space of time to stop the attack? Think hard about that, before making a decision to go .22 as a primary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links