1943 Walther P.38

1943 Walther P.38

This is a discussion on 1943 Walther P.38 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not exactly a carry gun (and I certainly won't be carrying it) but I wanted to share my latest acquisition. My grandfather captured this P.38 ...

1943 Walther P.38

Not exactly a carry gun (and I certainly won't be carrying it) but I wanted to share my latest acquisition.

My grandfather captured this P.38 south of Munich near the end of the second world war. I picked it up today and have been learning more about it since then.

It's a CYQ c-block, meaning it was produced in May of 1943 at the Spreewerk manufacturing facility. It's all numbers matching and in great condition.

Pics:

I also have 6 boxes of unfired Nazi produced 9mm ammunition ranging in years from 1936 to 1943. It's interesting to see the progression, they start off normal brass/copper but then end up steel cased and perhaps an iron bullet? I used the 1943 produced steel/iron for all these pictures since that was the year the gun was made in.

As you can see here, the grips are not black as they appear in most of these pictures but rather a dark brown. I'm glad because I somewhat prefer the brown color. You can also see the Nazi approval stamp.

It's a really fascinating piece of history.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Sweet.
    If I remember right, mine was made in '42. My father told me he "took it off dead German". He was a Darby Ranger in WWII. He said he had an officer's Beretta, too, but he threw it overboard when someone said they were getting inspected, so that one didn't make it back.

Very cool, and more so with the family history! The period ammunition is a nice addition as well..

Never part with it, unless it is someone else in your family that can appreciate it.

Nice piece of history, and a nice gun to boot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very nice example and with the family history an important handgun.

Thanks for posting the photos and also showing the ammo!

I have a Spreewerk P-38 with a Y-block serial number and the same brown grip panels. Some say Spreewerk used slave labor to manufacture their guns which are more prone to slide breakage but I've yet to have a problem with mine which shoots quite nice.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    During WWII someone in my Dad's outfit found a wooden case of P-38's that were brand new, still with cosmoline. They shared them so he had one and he said that someone stole it from his duffle bag while he was on the transport ship headed back to the U.S. Well, he may have lost it in a crap game too and just didn't want to admit it.

I bought one a while back, supposedly it was a Russian capture gun. It shoots good, but boy does that DA need some pounds to pull
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

And you are right about that...the trigger pull in DA is intense. Reminds me of shooting an old DA revolver. It's not too bad in single action though.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    thats an amazing piece, i love old historical pieces more than new modern marvels
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I really enjoy shooting the P-38 that I have access to. It tends to shoot a bit low, but generally makes one ragged hole out of a magazine.

That one is awesome to because you know the personal history behind it, definitely something to hold on to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Super cool!!! Historical significance and family history. That's a keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    Ahhhh....The exact klunko gun that I absolutely love to hate.
    A great family heirloom or a super-neat paperweight though.

Links