The Ultimate J Frame w/XS Big Dot Front Sight

This is a discussion on The Ultimate J Frame w/XS Big Dot Front Sight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wanted to encourage anyone who's ever thought of changing the front sight on their S&W 640 or a Ruger SP101 to try it. I recently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Ultimate J Frame w/XS Big Dot Front Sight

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Wanted to encourage anyone who's ever thought of changing the front sight on their S&W 640 or a Ruger SP101 to try it. I recently changed out my Ruger SP101 to a Mepro night sight and then I put an XS Big Dot sight on an old S&W 640-1. I used the "standard" dot size on that.

They both turned out well but the XS Big Dot, Standard Dot size front sight is by far the best. I'll be replacing the mepro light on my Ruger SP101 someday.

I learned a lot doing this; little things like making sure you have a solid base under the gun when you start tapping out the pins. the Ruger SP101 gave me a hard time getting the roll pin out. I bought a drill press but now I believe it's not necessary if you're. A variable speed dremel with the drill bit will work fine if you have the right chuck to hold the tiny screws.

The XS front sight on the 640-1 is quick to acquire and I'd recommend it even if you don't want it for the night sight. It's perfect during the day and I believe the Big Dot size would be too big. It looks good, sights good and I just plain love it. Best possible upgrade to these two guns that I can think of!!

So if you've thought about it, give it a try. It's easy to get the drill size and punch size and I can give it to you if you'd like.

The other good thing about the Big Dot sight is that the base is actually hollow inside which makes drilling through one side and then the other easier than with the mepro light.

Bad quality pics but you get the idea. I think this all stainless old 640-1 with the XS is about the ultimate J frame. Handles .357's very very well and .38's are a pleasure!

Gideon

DSCN3329.jpgDSCN3332.jpgDSCN3328.jpg
    maclean3 likes this.

Thanks for sharing. I've been considering Big Dot for my M&P.

I've been thinking about the XS dot brand for my Ruger SP101s- just didn't know which size. I've got the "Big" dot on my Colt Defender and like it a lot, but didn't know how the "standard" would be. Is the POI about the same as the ramp sights?

Cool

I love the XS Big Dot. I have them on my SP-101, Glock 19 and Glock 23. Quick front sight picture and great for my 64 year old eyes.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

Click to enlarge.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

anyone out there replace the sights on a S&W 642? what's involved?
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

i have the Big Dot on my 640 and it works great. i'm glad i got the large size dot, it works perfect for me . i also have them on my 23 and 27.

I just put the Trijicon RR14F on my Sp101.
    NRA Life Member

I have them on my M&P9c and Glock 22. My J frame has fixed sights so I can't put them on, though I would if I could.

Glad to hear it's working for you. I'm thinking about an XS Big Dot for my 640 I got late last year. Sounds like it would be winning combo!

What model # XS sight did you get?

to answer a few questions....

-The POI on the standard dot is the same as it was. It's a natural fit.
    -On a 642 you can't change the front sight without getting it milled and professionally done. It's expensive and will end up costing you nearly as much as the gun. The 642 is best left as is.
    -Larget dot would be fine for what this gun is intended for, i.e., 3 yards and closer. Still, I like the standard dot for a bit cleaner and more proportiantely sized sight. I have a true big dot on a shot gun and it's pretty big. You can't go wrong with either one!

Gideon

Magna Port will mill off your front fixed sight and install a XS for around $115. I have had it done to three different revolvers. I think it turned out real nice:

If you remove your cylinder then you don't have to overnight the frame, and that saves quite a bit of money. The downside is waiting for it to get back. I am thinking about getting a Smith 638 and having Magna Port give it this same treatment. With a XS Large Dot of course.

I really like how they did that. I have a 642 that I would love to have them do that to. Now for a dumb question, it is $115 plus the cost of the XS sight or is it included?

Gideon

Just the cost of milling the sight off, and installing a replacement. I just buy my sights directly from XS. I think the last time I did this it was $65 plus $7 or $8 for shipping.

I put the XS big dot on my Ruger LCR it makes a big difference on acquiring the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Wanted to encourage anyone who's ever thought of changing the front sight on their S&W 640 or a Ruger SP101 to try it. I recently changed out my Ruger SP101 to a Mepro night sight and then I put an XS Big Dot sight on an old S&W 640-1. I used the "standard" dot size on that.

They both turned out well but the XS Big Dot, Standard Dot size front sight is by far the best. I'll be replacing the mepro light on my Ruger SP101 someday.

The XS front sight on the 640-1 is quick to acquire and I'd recommend it even if you don't want it for the night sight. It's perfect during the day and I believe the Big Dot size would be too big. It looks good, sights good and I just plain love it. Best possible upgrade to these two guns that I can think of!!

So if you've thought about it, give it a try. It's easy to get the drill size and punch size and I can give it to you if you'd like.
    I just bought a S&W 638. It has a roll pinned in integral front sight.

I wanted to put the Big dot on it but was a little worried that I might wollow out the roll pin hole if I used it as a guide to drill the sight.

Let me know what sized drill you used.

Did you use the roll pin hole as a guide for drilling the sight?

Here is another link for this upgrade:
    http://www.gunblast.com/XS_BigDot.htm
    Last edited by crankinNM; April 24th, 2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links