New Springfield EMP 9mm

This is a discussion on New Springfield EMP 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I broke down and bought a new Springfield EMP 9mm. It was a trade in at a local shop and came with two sets ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Springfield EMP 9mm

New Springfield EMP 9mm

Well I broke down and bought a new Springfield EMP 9mm. It was a trade in at a local shop and came with two sets of grips (the ones pictured and the Cocobolo grips) and the Springfield Holster and Mag Holder. I paid $1099 for it.

EMP 1.jpgEMP 2.jpg

Sorry for the horrible pictures. They were taken on my Blackberry.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats ! ! ! ! I sure love mine.

If you have "any " issues, let Springfield know and they will take care of it quickly. I had a couple , and they had the gun back within 1 week and it had been totally reworked. It made me wonder if I should send every new gun back into them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

sgb
    The EMP is a great little carry gun. Congrats.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Congrats! Well done. That's a nice little pistol. I've shot one and liked it a lot. I keep looking at them in the store but they are a bit pricy for a retired guy.

I'll be interested to hear how you like it at the range.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Nice gun, I love those grips!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very nice. I'm on the fence about one and pictures like your aren't helping my meager firearm budget.

GM
    Very nice! Congrats and enjoy
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

One of my favorite 9mm to shoot. You will love that little gun. Enjoy!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Congrats ! ! ! ! I sure love mine.

If you have "any " issues, let Springfield know and they will take care of it quickly. I had a couple , and they had the gun back within 1 week and it had been totally reworked. It made me wonder if I should send every new gun back into them.
    This is true if he were original owner. Since the gun was a trade in at a LGS, Springfield will do repairs at the owners expense.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Very nice. I think you're gonna be real happy with it.

Absolutely love mine as well. It's definitely a shooter. Use it.
    Put some holster wear on it. Don't let it become a safe queen.
    It's made to carry and shoot.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

You will he very happy with it.

I have a little over 750 rounds through mine so far and it is dead on accurate.

Take it out and enjoy.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I took the EMP out the the range and it did not go as well as I hoped. I had issues with the gun going into battery when I would load a new magazine into the pistol. When I slingshot the slide it would fail to go into battery by about 1/8" to 1/4" of an inch. And then when I dropped the mag and tried to eject the case from the chamber it would hang up between the feed ramp and the breach. After reading some other forums It looks like potential causes are a non polished feed ramp, the ejector needs to be tuned, or the mag springs are too weak. I have noticed that on some occasions when it would fail to go into battery the bullet in the mag would be pushed down when it was inserted into the mag well. I also noticed that the magazine will hit a small bump or snag in the mag well before being fully inserted. Is this normal with the EMP? I'm thinking that the magazines might be causing most of the issues a it seemed that a the pistol would also sometimes try to insert another round after the first failed to go into battery and that round would fall out of the magwell when I would try to clear the pistol. Do you guys have any ideas on how to resolve these issues?

On a more positive note: when the pistol was set into battery, It ejected and fed every round shot perfectly. For some reason I shoot the EMP better than my PPS .40 and XDm .40 (normally my targets are spread all over the target). If I can get these issues worked out this will probably be my carry gun.

Congratulations on your new EMP, I have been wanting one since they first came out, and I may just get one before I retire. I always start with the magazine(s) first on any semi automatic pistol that is having issues as about 90% percent of the time it's a faulty magazine that is the cause. Take some masking tape and put a small section on the bottom of each magazine with a number 1,2,3 etc. and take note of which magazine or magazines that are in the pistol when the issues occur. If you still have problems no matter what magazine is used, you could try a different brand of ammo and see if that helps any. If you are still having trouble you may have to do what Eagleks did and send your EMP back to Springfield and let them make it right for you. Contact Springfield and have them quote you a price, I would wager that they will work with you on one, or maybe you would only have to pay for the shipping.

Hopefully, your EMP will be up and running smoothly in no time whatsoever. I forgot to mention that the initial break in period of any handgun is usually anywhere from 200 to 500 rounds for some semi automatic pistols. The original owner may not have completed the break in period and traded the pistol out of frustration.

You should see your pistol start to settle down after the first 100 rounds or so as parts begin to wear smoother and mate better. I know it can be extremely frustrating when a quality pistol is not performing right, but hang in there, you have one of the most visually stunning pistols ever made and it will be worth your while to keep it and let Springfield make it reliable for you if is not so after the initial break in period. Good luck to you, I know you will be glad you kept your EMP!
    God bless our troops!

Springfield Armory .40 EMP

I was looking for a new conceal carry weapon, and after reading numerous reviews of all types, I decided to get the S.A. .40 EMP. When the gun first came out, it seemed there were quite a few ftf and fte's. Most of these problems were solved by just feeding several hundred rounds through the gun. I think they may of solved their problems.
    I took my brand new gun apart and cleaned and lubricated it well. I just got back from the range and after shooting 100 rounds of gold dot 180gr.hp's, I am glad to say that I had no problems what so ever. I used all three of the magazines that came with the gun. I was expecting at least a few failure to feeds or eject, just because the gun is so tight, but to my surprise, it functioned flawlessly. This gun is ACCURATE. I have been doing most of my .40 shooting with an H&K USP compact. I just love this 1911 style and will use it exclusively for carry. I got a Bianci snap paddle holster that fits it like a dream and should conceal real well.

Newbie from Minnesota

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links