Question for the Engineers & Scientists ?

This is a discussion on Question for the Engineers & Scientists ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it malfunctions, it will be right when you need it the most; ie Murphy's Law....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Question for the Engineers & Scientists ?

If it malfunctions, it will be right when you need it the most; ie Murphy's Law.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Wink

I have a background in chemical engineering. I like to take beer , wine and vodka and turn it into urine........... I have nothing to really add to this discussion.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gig View Post
    Get a good quality revolver....No break-in period,,,,less to go wrong,,,,,,,and since they are not as much fun to shoot as a semi-auto, it will probably still be like new when you drop dead of old age.
    Since when are revolvers not fun to shoot? My .44 magnum is my favorite gun to shoot
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    The MIM Factor.
    You need to also factor in MIM parts which historically have catastrophically failed at a much higher rate than investment cast or forged/machined steel.
    On the plus side - Usually when MIM (Metal Injection Molded) fails it fails rather quickly and dramatically AKA it's either a good MIM "part" (that will be serviceable) or there is a QC problem & it will fail in a big hurry.

ammunition type and individual magazine
    Don't forget powder brand, FMJ versus HP, primers.....................I think Hopyard is correct anyway, since he answered the Train question............and studied the use of statistics in consumer advocacy.

Or you can just forget all the math...and carry two guns. IMHO you are better off with two smaller guns, than one big blaster. The probability of both guns failing during the same incident are virtually zero. And no reload is quicker than a "NY reload."

Just sayin'...
    QKShooter likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

This is a lot like trying to 100% test fuses. Instead of looking for a "pass" result, you want to test till "fail", which leaves the test article useless. Look for makers that use good materials and reliable processes. The internet has made it easier to gather accounts of a model repeatedly failing. Buy the proper tool, I won't buy a race or target gun for carry. And for the most part, you're gonna have to chip loose of a little money.
    QKShooter and Rock and Glock like this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I generally adhere to a break in period of 300 or so rounds. If the gun performs well for that round count I consider it reliable. I make sure to fire as many rounds of the type of ammo I will carry int he gun as i can afford.

I consider the gun reliable if it fires those 300 rounds with out jamming or failing to fire in any way. If it does, then I contact the manufacturer and give them the chance to make it run correctly. If this can't be done, I get rid of the gun and get one that will run. I don't get emotionally attached to guns until they prove to me that they can be trusted with my life and the lives of my family.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

gig
    My local Game Warden carries a Glock and the local LEO's I know all carry Glocks. They turn them into their armor about every 6 months for a check up.
    They say the armor replaces every spring or small part that is prone to failure. (If this is the practice around the country, no wonder Glocks have a good service record.)

But as they say, even if the basketball shooter has a 90% record at the free-throw line; it's still 50-50 everytime he goes to the line.

Quote Originally Posted by gig View Post
    ...But as they say, even if the basketball shooter has a 90% record at the free-throw line; it's still 50-50 everytime he goes to the line.
    "They" are mathematically challenged.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I am not a scientist nor do I play one on TV, but my answer is very simple. Everytime you pull the trigger there is a 50% chance it will work and another 50% it will not. It does not matter if it is a Glock, HiPoint, etc. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Actually, the "average" handgun will NOT fail to fire 50% of time. If you have one like that = get it fixed ASAP!
    The other variable in this is the cleanliness of the gun. If you were to actually run this reliability test, I would think you would want to clean it after each shot to remove the variable or powder residue build-up so that you are truly taking a measure of the mechanical component failure rate, not the rate at which the firearm becomes too dirty to be reliable.

SO, back to the original post/question.....

If the first 15 rounds from a properly cleaned brand new handgun fire without malfunction, does firing another 100 or 200 rounds for a so-called "break-in peiod" actually increase (or decrease?) the likelihood of the the next 15 rounds firing without malfunction -- from a mathematical/statistical standpoint? Or is that break-in concept just a "FEEL GOOD" consideration?

It would mathematically seem that the more rounds fired, the higher the probabability of some other part breaking or wearing out (spring, extractor, firing pin, etc.).

JERRY

Ouch, this string is making my head hurt!
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Administrator
    And then after all is said and done and a scientific determination is made that the handgun is completely reliable....the homicidal maniac bad guy is running at you at top speed ready to hack your head off with a machete and you get a squib round due to a bad lot of ammunition.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    And then after all is said and done and a scientific determination is made that the handgun is completely reliable....the homicidal maniac bad guy is running at you at top speed ready to hack your head off with a machete and you get a squib round due to a bad lot of ammunition.

That was good! Hence another reason I have been liking revolvers and 1911's more these days. They make great pistol whippers! Plastic does not have the umph!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links