P45 or CW45?

P45 or CW45?

This is a discussion on P45 or CW45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just posted this on the Kahr Forum, but would appreciate any feedback. Kahr haters need not comment (Who am I kidding, have at it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: P45 or CW45?

P45 or CW45?

I just posted this on the Kahr Forum, but would appreciate any feedback. Kahr haters need not comment (Who am I kidding, have at it )

So I'm going to the gun show tomorrow with a S&W 1911 to trade for a Kahr, I am ready to own a .45 I will actually carry. I know the only difference is supposedly the slide machining and the barrel rifling, but if you were in my shoes, would you save the cash and get the CW or pony up a hundred or so (you know they'll only give me 25-40% of the retail on the Smith) to get the P45?
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

VIP Member
    First, I don't know why you'd wanna trade a SW 1911 for any Kahr. I had a CW9 that was a nice carry gun. I really wasn't worried about the few bells and whistles on the higher priced models. Also with the CW rifled barrel you can shoot round nose lead bullets (reloads) for practice. Most ranges sell them and they're quite a bit cheaper if you're on a tight budget.

What's wrong with the 1911? I've carried full sized Government models for years with out a hitch...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have always wanted to be a "1911 guy." My father loved them (WWII vet), the pedigree is awesome, I "get it." In my experience, carrying anything that heavy is just too much. I've read all the posts about how a good gun belt makes the gun disappear, but having carried a PM9 for awhile, I just don't want to carry a steel gun. I have good gun belts, I'm a pretty big guy, but I just don't want to tote that much steel. Also, I have narrowed my stable to double action revolvers, Kahrs and Glocks. Seems like I should stay consistent with the manual of arms.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    ...I am ready to own a .45 I will actually carry. I know the only difference is supposedly the slide machining and the barrel rifling, but if you were in my shoes, would you save the cash and get the CW or pony up a hundred or so (you know they'll only give me 25-40% of the retail on the Smith) to get the P45?
    My CW45 is a GREAT carry gun. I do not regret at all not spending the extra dough for the P45. For the same reason, even though I've been coveting a PM9 for months, I'm going to wait until I can find a good deal on a CM9.

FWIW.

Regards,
    Jim

I really love my P45. It has been very reliable and accurate. Recoil is negligable. I guess with the CW you get some non movable sights, one less magazine and some squared off slide corners. If you will own it for life, get what you want!!

jyo
    Well, I purchased a slightly used all-black P45 a couple of years ago from a guy who was absolutely DISGUSTED with it after sending it back to the factory several times for various problems---as luck would have it, the damn thing works PERFECT for me and shoots right to point of aim with a very nice, light DAO triogger. Very slim and lightweight, a fine carry gun if you want a small .45. I also own two of the small CW9s (one for me. one for wifey) that run 100%. The only negitive on the .45, is that the little thing KICKS! Love the poly Kahrs!

The difference between the P45 and the CW45 to me are really almost negligible. The front sight isn't dovetailed into the slide on the CW45 but it is on the P45? Big deal. The slide is a bit less refined as far as the milling on the CW45 as opposed to the P45. Again, big deal. I have a CW9 and i like the way the slide looks. And the fact that it comes with just one magazine instead of two? I don't mind that either because every gun I own have at least 4 magazines for it. So I just bought 4 or 5 other magazines for the CW9 and you should do the same if you get the CW45. If that one mag breaks, that gun you bought just turned into a paper weight until you can get another mag.

All things considered, I think the CW series from Kahr is a great value and for me anyway, I see no need to go to the higher end versions. Can't wait to get my CM9.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The Kahrs are great guns IMO. I have two of um, a CW9 and a PM40, both run as well if not better than any other autoloader I own. I've never had any problems with either of um and I find that I'm a darn good shooter with both. If it was me, I'd go with the P45 over the CW series, but honestly IMO you really can't go wrong with either. I also agree with ya on the weight of the 1911's, I find it much more comfortable to carry my 20oz PM40 than my 25+oz Kimber Ultra II. Plain and simple fact for me is, I can conceal and carry my PM40 all day long where most all of my other options in the larger calibers would fail.

I love the 1911 platform and I'll add more to my inventory down the road, but IMO, the Kahr DAO semi autos are among some of the best defensive carry options out there. The manual of arms and the overall build quality is excellent, and the trigger is better than anything I've seen on any DAO pistol. Good luck on the trade.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    These are the reasons to buy a P45 instead of a CW45;

* If you want an all black gun. The CW only comes with a stainless slide.

* If you want particular night sights. I'm partial to Mepros, which are not available for the CW line.

* The only other reason would be to have a polygonal barrel instead of conventional. Personally I prefer the polygonal, but it wouldn't be a game changer.

If none of these reasons is a priority, then your best buy is to save your money and buy a CW45. If you want your CCW to be a certain configuration, all black with Novac tritium sights for example, then buy the P45.
    Last edited by ripley16; April 10th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Many thanks for everyone's input, I'm taking off shortly, we'll see what's out there to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I just posted this on the Kahr Forum, but would appreciate any feedback. Kahr haters need not comment (Who am I kidding, have at it )

So I'm going to the gun show tomorrow with a S&W 1911 to trade for a Kahr, I am ready to own a .45 I will actually carry. I know the only difference is supposedly the slide machining and the barrel rifling, but if you were in my shoes, would you save the cash and get the CW or pony up a hundred or so (you know they'll only give me 25-40% of the retail on the Smith) to get the P45?
    This doesn't help I get the if you don't carry it trade it for something you will use aspect of it but "still" look at what the 1911 Smith's are going for in price nowadays..Keep the Smith sell one of your kidneys and get the Kahr...hahahahaha
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

CW45 and spend the balance on ammo and range time.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

And the winner is, the CW45. I am such a shmuck, I made a deal with a guy having gone three quarters of the way through the show. I make the deal for a straight trade, and then walk an aisle over and find a used PM45 for $650. Oh well, what's done is done. I will post some photos in the next couple of days, I'll do a range report on the break in when I get to the range. Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

Congrats on the new Kahr. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Looking forward to the range report and pics.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Congrats! 'Looking for that range report now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links