Initial Range report Bodyguard .380 Serial EAK...

Initial Range report Bodyguard .380 Serial EAK...

This is a discussion on Initial Range report Bodyguard .380 Serial EAK... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been waiting to buy and take this gun to the range for a long time now and finally got a chance yesterday. I ...

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member Array Lanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    263

    Initial Range report Bodyguard .380 Serial EAK...

    I have been waiting to buy and take this gun to the range for a long time now and finally got a chance yesterday.

    I wasn't going to say anything here buy came up with a few things I thought might help people thinking about a BG .380.

    1. I had NO Fte or FTF or anything malfunction through 150 rounds of crap ammo and 50 rounds of Self Defense. The gun was horribly dirty at the end of this from the crap ammo and I intermingled ammo between SD rounds, Crap Rounds and Some SD/Crap mags.

    2. I have no idea about the actual stopping power at 25 yards of a .380 but I doubt I would want to get hit by it. That being said the ironsights were good out to 25 with a 7 inch circle. Enough to at least put a few in the chest. Not great, but still...

    3. Laser was useless during daylight hours past 7 yards. I didn't even turn it on.

    4. Loved the ironsights for shooting at the 15. Groups were 5 inches at 15.

    5. The trigger is tough. Not for someone with a weak finger. And you need to strike it smoothly and with conviction. Staging the trigger works but sometimes creates a misfire. No missfires if you don't stage the trigger. Strike it cleanly and crisply.

    Love the gun. Its only slightly larger than my iphone. This is my new EDC because I can really EDC it ALL the time.


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array bunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    work
    Posts
    797
    Cool gun, glad it has worked out well for you. Post some pictures, its always nice to see a new gun
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

  3. #3
    Member
    Array SwatMedic338's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    144
    Was going to do a write up as well since I too went to the range yesterday with my new BG 380, serial EAL, but will piggyback on this one. Hope the OP doesn't mind. :)

    I too experienced zero FTF's or any malfunction of any kind with 100 rds Winchester white box and 25 rds of spear gold dots.

    Iron sights worked well. Used the laser for one magazine and turned it off as I found it not necessay in the bright lights of the range.

    The trigger is the longest pull since the invention of the trigger. Staging is possible and recommended if you want nice tight groups. I doubt you will ever read about a ND involving this gun because to make it fire the trigger has to travel a country mile before firing

    Recoil was brisk but tolerable which is expected in a gun the size of a pack of smokes. After 100 rounds my hands were starting to take a beating. Those last magazines with the gold dots were quite uncomfortable. I switched to my Ruger SR9C immediately following my BG and it felt like just brushing the trigger was enough to actuate it. (The Ruger does have a sweet trigger though)

    No real complaints about the BG and it will figure in nicely as a summer time/quick trip to the store EDC. No real surprises as what I experienced seems commonplace from other reviews. If you're looking for a small EDC or BUG this little S&W fits the bill. Paid $325 for it, $25 for extra mag.

  4. #4
    Member
    Array SwatMedic338's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post

    The gun was horribly dirty at the end of this from the crap ammo and I intermingled ammo between SD rounds, Crap Rounds and Some SD/Crap mags.

    Don't know if it was the ammo as mine was filthier than any gun I've ever shot before. It was covered in residue and powder, a real mess.

  5. #5
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    Glad you like it. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,414
    I've been interested in this gun since I first saw it mentioned here in other pocket gun topic.

    Have either of the reviewers shot the keltec .380 or the Ruger? I know the trigger pull on the S&W is long, but is it really longer than the other two?

    Dry firing the Kel-tec, the Ruger, and the S&W, I found the S&W trigger to be much smoother... and only slightly worse than the Kahr which had (to me) the sweetest pull, but not for nearly double the $$$.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array JOHNSMITH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    1,726
    Quote Originally Posted by SwatMedic338 View Post
    I switched to my Ruger SR9C immediately following my BG and it felt like just brushing the trigger was enough to actuate it. (The Ruger does have a sweet trigger though)
    Heh, I know what you mean. I shoot my Diamondback 380 nowadays when I go the range. It has a long, but smooth and "tight" trigger. But it's still quite long. I've gotten used to it. Now when I shoot my XD, my shots often seem to break before I'm "ready" - takes me by almost complete surprise. Funny, before I started shooting the 380, I thought the XD had a long-ish, decent trigger. Now it feels quite mushy and very short! haha.

  8. #8
    Member Array Lanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by SwatMedic338 View Post
    Don't know if it was the ammo as mine was filthier than any gun I've ever shot before. It was covered in residue and powder, a real mess.
    It was dirtier than anything I have ever shot before either. I thought it was just the PMC Ammo. The laser was totally covered in residue and I would say it took a good half hour 45 minutes to get the gun clean again. It was filthy.

    On the other hand I put 150+ rounds through it and even though it felt gummy, it was still feeding and firing so that part at least was good.

  9. #9
    Member
    Array SwatMedic338's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    It was dirtier than anything I have ever shot before either. I thought it was just the PMC Ammo. The laser was totally covered in residue and I would say it took a good half hour 45 minutes to get the gun clean again. It was filthy.

    On the other hand I put 150+ rounds through it and even though it felt gummy, it was still feeding and firing so that part at least was good.

    You're exactly right. Could care less that it gets dirty as long as it fires when you pull the trigger...and it did just that. :)

  10. #10
    Member
    Array SwatMedic338's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I've been interested in this gun since I first saw it mentioned here in other pocket gun topic.

    Have either of the reviewers shot the keltec .380 or the Ruger? I know the trigger pull on the S&W is long, but is it really longer than the other two?

    Dry firing the Kel-tec, the Ruger, and the S&W, I found the S&W trigger to be much smoother... and only slightly worse than the Kahr which had (to me) the sweetest pull, but not for nearly double the $$$.

    I have held both of those guns but never fired so I cannot give you a comparison, sorry.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bg 380
,
bg 380 review
,
bg380 review
,
bodyguard .380 reviews
,
bodyguard 380
,
bodyguard 380 eal
,
bodyguard 380 parts
,

bodyguard 380 review

,

bodyguard 380 reviews

,
bodyguard 380 serial number
,

bodyguard 380 serial numbers

,
bodyguard 380 stopping power
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors