So I ended up with a glock but there is an issue

This is a discussion on So I ended up with a glock but there is an issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after much debate I found a Glock 19 hiding in the lower shelf at my local gun store and the price was right so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: So I ended up with a glock but there is an issue

So after much debate I found a Glock 19 hiding in the lower shelf at my local gun store and the price was right so i bought it. Well when i took it to my in laws house for some play time I noticed it's shooting rather high. If i'm aiming at the center of a beer can at about 10 yards it goes well over it. I have to aim a couple inches below my target to make a hit.

The gun is uses and has the factory rear sights but a fiber front sight. I have no idea how to adjust for this. Any tips?

Is the gun new or used? The first thing I would do is to have someone else shoot gun at the same distance to see if it shoots low consistently.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Is the gun new or used? The first thing I would do is to have someone else shoot gun at the same distance to see if it shoots low consistently.
    if it's still shooting high i am almost positive that you can buy different height rear sights that are just like the glock factory....or just put some night sights on it all together. what bullets were you shooting? maybe a light weight bullet with a very high velocity was causing the high rounds
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

The gun was used and i've had 3 people shoot the gun and it's consistant

You live mere minutes from me. Go to The Gun Cellar and see the big dude with black hair. If anyone can handle this issue, he can. I take you snagged the nicely priced one from Mark's huh?

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    The gun was used and i've had 3 people shoot the gun and it's consistant
    I have heard that certain aftermarket night or fiber optic sights can drastically change the characteristics of where a Glock tends to shoot. My guess would be that the issue with the front sight. You have a couple of options. First make the the front sight is cranked down securely. You could replace the front sight with either a new night sight or with a Glock factory sight. You could also replace both the front and the rear sights.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    You live mere minutes from me. Go to The Gun Cellar and see the big dude with black hair. If anyone can handle this issue, he can. I take you snagged the nicely priced one from Mark's huh?
    actually I found it at hoover tactical for $463 out the door with 4 mags. Could have spent $498 out the door for a new gen 4, 3 mags, and a glock shooting sports membership but I was pushing it for the one i got.

Yeah I'm not sure why the person before me put a fiber front sight on and left the factory rear sight... guess i'll just invest in some new night sights

VIP Member
    Your aftermarket front sight is too high. This can eb fixed very easily by replacing your front sight with a stock factory sight. OR if yo like the fiber optic sight you can replace the rear sight for not too much money.

Glock Square Rear Sight .270" Height Polymer Black White Outline - MidwayUSA

Glock Square Rear Sight .290" Height Polymer Black White Outline - MidwayUSA

One of these should help ^^^^ At the price I'd buy both and install the one you like best.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Actually this looks exactly like the front sight that's installed now

HIVIZ Front Sight Glock All Models except 24C 4.3mm Height Steel Blue Fiber Optic Green - MidwayUSA

If it is shooting high for all the shooters then you need to fix your sights like suggested.

Once you get those kinks worked out you should enjoy your new find much more fun to shoot.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    So after much debate I found a Glock 19 hiding in the lower shelf at my local gun store and the price was right so i bought it. Well when i took it to my in laws house for some play time I noticed it's shooting rather high. If i'm aiming at the center of a beer can at about 10 yards it goes well over it. I have to aim a couple inches below my target to make a hit.

The gun is uses and has the factory rear sights but a fiber front sight. I have no idea how to adjust for this. Any tips?
    It wasnt you who emptied the beer can before shooting was it? That could explain alot.

Actually, I prefer a 6 oclock sight picture. This is not really a problem if you adapt to it, and makes long distance shooting easier, but, if it bothers you, either get a lower front sight, or taller rear one.
    Dragman likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ...Your aftermarket front sight is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ... either get a lower front sight, or taller rear one.
    I think you guys have it backwards.

The OP is shooting high, therefore, front sight needs to be taller, or rear sight needs to be shorter.

just saying....
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Dang, I always get that messed up!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    I think you guys have it backwards.

The OP is shooting high, therefore, front sight needs to be taller, or rear sight needs to be shorter.

just saying....
    Yeah, I think the front sight should be around .215 to .240 tall and your FO sight seems to be 4.3 mm (.169) tall. That will certainly cause the issue you are experiencing.
    Glock 26
    Ruger SP101
    S&W Bodyguard .38
    Walther P22

VIP Member
    Just get a lighter and melt them down to size!
    oneshot likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links