Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers

This is a discussion on Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GlockJS Wonderful post. How long before a Sticky? Not long. Thanks for all the feedback folks....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Wonderful post. How long before a Sticky?
    Not long.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

2. Remove Ads

Very well done, and thanks for your hard work. This is a subject near and dear to me as I am a revolver guy from way back. I use a Dan Wesson .357 and have for over thirty years, what I like about a revolver is when you pull the trigger it's going to go bang just about 100 percent of the time, in fact in my 30 plus years I have never had one fail to fire. Semi auto pistols are great fun to shoot, I have several different ones of different calibers that I shoot regularly but when it comes to protecting my life, my wife, kids and grand kids I just feel more at ease using a revolver because I know it will go bang when the trigger is pulled. Thanks again for your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    In summary, the revolver is not in moth balls yet and should not be overlooked in selecting a handgun and for some may be a better choice than an auto, but they are not necessarily the best choice available right out of the gate. While they do have a role to fill, in my opinion their shortcomings of low capacity and a more complicated reload process makes autos the better choice for those willing to put in the work to proficiently operate an automatic.
    Great post.

I think the highlighted portion sums it up very well. A novice shooter who will probably never practice again (unfortunately a higher % of gun owners than we would like to admit) would be much better served with a revolver. Nothing to manipulate, just point and press the trigger. An often overlooked advantage of a revolver is that you can leave it loaded for a much longer period of time without having to worry about magazine springs taking a set (if you worry about that kind of thing, that is).
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I cut my teeth on a .22caliber Ivers Johnson top break super 8. ( Thanks Grandpa ) It now resides in my safe when not at the Range. ( Thanks Dad ) My first hand gun purchase was a S&W police special .38, which I later sold to buy a Ruger Super Red Hawk .44 for hunting.
    Long live the revolver
    Another job well done JD.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Awesome post, JD.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    Awesome post, JD.
    Thank you.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

VIP Member
    JD - good job. The only thing I would add is that removing the lock from a S&W is child's play. I removed the locks from my 640 & 642. Neither procedure took longer than 15 minutes. The second one was done in under 10. Sure, you still have the lock hole, (it looks the same as before you took the lock out), but if that does not bother you, then they are easier to find.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Not only is removing the lock from a S&W trivially easy - a 10 year old could do it in a few minutes - but you can get a very nice insert that matches the frame metal and finish and eliminates the hole in the frame. You can order here. (registration required)

This being the case, a lock is a non-issue on a new Smith. All my Smiths were bought NIB pre-lock, but I'm pondering a 2.5" 638 and if it has a lock I have a plan.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Not only is removing the lock from a S&W trivially easy - a 10 year old could do it in a few minutes - but you can get a very nice insert that matches the frame metal and finish and eliminates the hole in the frame. You can order here. (registration required)

This being the case, a lock is a non-issue on a new Smith. All my Smiths were bought NIB pre-lock, but I'm pondering a 2.5" 638 and if it has a lock I have a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    JD - good job. The only thing I would add is that removing the lock from a S&W is child's play. I removed the locks from my 640 & 642. Neither procedure took longer than 15 minutes. The second one was done in under 10. Sure, you still have the lock hole, (it looks the same as before you took the lock out), but if that does not bother you, then they are easier to find.
    The reason it's omitted is that this piece is geared toward beginners and many are not going to have the guts to open their side plate, then there's the issue of "removing a safety device" etc. Would rather leave that to them to find out about on their own.

Excellent post, thoroughly enjoyed the read. Much of what you covered is exactly why I now carry the revolver as my primary CC gun.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    I'll tell you what's funny is that at least twice since posting this as I've been dry practicing with two different autos I've either been sliced open by the rear sight of an XDM or sliced open by the ejection port of an HK45, neither are known for being "edgy" but I've torn up my left thumb pretty good each time. Tap, rack, band-aid, , bang. I imagine it's harder (not impossible) to beat your self up with a revolver.

Nice job. Thank you taking the time to do this.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Great post !!! As the boomers age, I am 55 , I am finding shooting my revolvers are much more enjoyable than the auto. Various heath issues have
    made raking the slides on the auto's difficult.I own glock,spingfield1911,springfield-walther99,ruger lcp,s&w sigma (don't laughthis has over 2k rounds no failures of any kinds)

My ruger security- stainless i bought 1983 357 I love shooting this revolver.
    Charter bulldog 44spl (son of sam) 1977 Weighs 21 oz empty. Kicks like a mule with defensive loads.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Kudos to DC for allowing a revolver forum. I noticed that on another Internet forum today a guy was banned simply for posting why he thought the revolver was a superior way to go. This on a forum that constantly prides itself on being all about "I am the warrior" and being able to fight with what you have.

A revolver might not be the way I would go but to ban somebody just for talking about a revolver because it doesn't fall in line with your Glock 17 red dot pistol view of the world is pretty shallow.

Again, thanks DC.

Thank-you, I enjoyed it immensely. I have a Taurus .44 stainless 6.5 inch produced in 1997 that has been flawless in form and finish.
    I have more recently purchased a Taurus .357 4 inch primarily for the 8 round capacity which I feel is a nice compromise between a six shooter and a semi-auto without sacrificing stopping power.
    The detail on the newer one (.357) doesn't seem as crisp as the .44, and defintely not on par with the comparable model S&W, but it has proved reliable for a not so frequent shooter like me and I have confidence in it as a self defense piece.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links