Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers - Page 4

Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers

This is a discussion on Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rdpG19 Outstanding thread, thank you OP! Love revolvers. After I finally found my Ruger SP101 357 3" barrel, it has become my ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    Outstanding thread, thank you OP! Love revolvers. After I finally found my Ruger SP101 357 3" barrel, it has become my main carry gun.
    This is my main carry gun now!!

sp101-rs.jpg
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

G'morning Ladies & gentlemen: I would add one thing, learn to open and load a revolver cylinder 'in' your left hand. Any mis aligned cartridges will automatically fall into your hand where they can easily be re-entered into the cylinder, not on the ground !

Also, this tends to eliminate the rediculous movie trick of snapping open and shut the cylinder, which can distort the crane alignment of the cylinder to the barrel. Only an amature does this foolish trick learned from the stupid TV series..

I remember one night at the river when the other man in attempting to reload his revolver in the dark simply dropped 18 crtridges into the weeds, He spent most of the time on his hands and kneees feeling / scrambling around in the weeds looking for his dropped cartridges.

Don Jose d eLa Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist"
    380ACP and wmhawth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post
    Also, this tends to eliminate the rediculous movie trick of snapping open and shut the cylinder, which can distort the crane alignment of the cylinder to the barrel. Only an amature does this foolish trick learned from the stupid TV series..
    So glad someone posted that! Here's an addendum to the original post for when you're inspecting revolvers.

You can tell if someone played TV detective with their revolver by looking at the front of the crane when the cylinder is shut. There should be no misalignment or gap between the crane and the rest of the frame.

Good (left) vs. bad (right).

Unfortunately many otherwise well-meaning gun owners simply don't know that this habit is bad for their gun, as like many other stupid habits it is commonly displayed by role models on TV. It can be fixed, but it's an additional cost and not something you want to deal with when shopping for a defense gun. Always open and close your cylinder with care, don't flick it or sling it.
    Tayopo and Aphdmansoc like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Well Said! Excellent info
    Tayopo likes this.

Excellent post. Thank you!
    Tayopo likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Importance of the Defence carriying Revolver

Carrying a pocket revolver, for many CCW Permit holders, is the optimal concealed carry solution.You could spend a ton of time and money on a custom build, like say, a Smith and Wesson Stainless steel snub nose or a Ruger SP101 with some trigger work and some other minor modifications. But if you want a dedicated and well priced defensive carry piece that has a perfect trigger, the Ruger LCR might just be the ticket.Defensive Carry is an important theme these days; more and more women are starting to get indoctrinated into the fold of the defensive carry crowd.So a defensive carry and shooting instructor decided to do a torture test on a Heckler and Koch P30; it lasted 91,622 rounds before it couldn’t safely be used as a “public weapon”.

JD:

A few friendly suggestions that would improve your post. Consider adding info on the relationships between barrel length and increased muzzle energy and barrel length and sight radius. For new shooters, the advantages/disadvantages of a first gun with or without adjustable sights.

Also pointing out to neophytes that aftermarket grips can make a considerable difference in improving the feel, comfort and ability to handle the recoil in shooting. Although hard to find a 3 inch barrel has considerable advantages over the shorter snubbies both in energy level generated, site radius and shootability (usually a little heavier thus helping in recoil control).

Perhaps mentioning some sources on the internet (videos on youtube and some of the better gun websites) for beginners could help them get off on the right foot.

I concur with the suggestion of some photos of different revolvers - especially different barrel lengths and grips.

great post. cleared it up

JD, I commend you for this clear, detailed and thoroughly excellent commentary.

I have owned and handled handguns since 1948 and yet found things you discussed to add to my understanding and knowledge of revolvers. I thank you for this and wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    So glad someone posted that! Here's an addendum to the original post for when you're inspecting revolvers.

You can tell if someone played TV detective with their revolver by looking at the front of the crane when the cylinder is shut. There should be no misalignment or gap between the crane and the rest of the frame.

Good (left) vs. bad (right).

Unfortunately many otherwise well-meaning gun owners simply don't know that this habit is bad for their gun, as like many other stupid habits it is commonly displayed by role models on TV. It can be fixed, but it's an additional cost and not something you want to deal with when shopping for a defense gun. Always open and close your cylinder with care, don't flick it or sling it.
    Yeah, my revolver is babied and I always cringe when people flip it shut. I'm gentle with it.

I would carry a revolver for self defense and suppose my 4'' Model 10 could work, but it might be too uncomfortable for me. I'm surprised people carry an SP101 or GP100 comfortably! I'd have to be IWB holding to keep it concealed.

Excellent piece of writing! I have a S&W 38 hammerless (5rds) and a S&W 22 mag hammerless (7 rds). Both have Crimson Trace grips and both have very light frames. With personal defense ammo from Hornady the .22 mag is supposed to perform with the ballistics of a 380. I still trust revolvers more than semi-autos. My S&W M&P 45 will feed anything, but my Springfield 45 XDS can be picky, especially if there is any type of rubber filling the void in the hollow point.

Howcum no mention of Colts? They have made many fine revolvers with some of the best triggers ever devised. Every caliber, frame size, metal one could imagine. They just haven't made any lately. Quality is excellent. The Detective Special is the best snubbie ever made.
    Eldon Hickey and Rebel like this.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepzilla View Post
    Howcum no mention of Colts? They have made many fine revolvers with some of the best triggers ever devised. Every caliber, frame size, metal one could imagine. They just haven't made any lately. Quality is excellent. The Detective Special is the best snubbie ever made.
    From the original post:

While a Colt revolver is a fine piece, they are no longer currently produced and in keeping with Part 1 I'm only covering this on the perspective of buying a new current production gun. Sure many still carry them, but they are getting harder and harder to find.

Yup..............New York Reload...........when the lights went out here in Jersey during Hurricane Sandy......carried 2 handguns day and night...wasn't going to concern myself with reloading in pitch blackness......one being my Model 36 S&W......very reliable wheel gun.

Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers

Excellent article on revolvers. I feel I am we'll protected with my 3" model 10 and my 4" model 15.

Scott Campbell
    Remember wheel guns are real guns too
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links