Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers

This is a discussion on Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never feel under gunned with a revolver. Was a 1911 guy for the better part of forty years. Age caught up, bad shoulders and ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 2. Revolvers

I never feel under gunned with a revolver. Was a 1911 guy for the better part of forty years. Age caught up, bad shoulders and arthritis in the hands. Wife is the bottom feeder. Loves her Glock 27, carried a 642 for eight years. Both of us are closing in on sixty.

On a good day I may carry one of my Ed Brown's. When we go to the mountains it's always a S&W model 29 44 mag.

Thanks for letting people know it's "ok" to carry revolvers.

2. Remove Ads

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zzclancy View Post
    I never feel under gunned with a revolver. Was a 1911 guy for the better part of forty years. Age caught up, bad shoulders and arthritis in the hands. Wife is the bottom feeder. Loves her Glock 27, carried a 642 for eight years. Both of us are closing in on sixty.

On a good day I may carry one of my Ed Brown's. When we go to the mountains it's always a S&W model 29 44 mag.

What's the story on the gun in your avatar? Looks like a 1917 with a shorter barrel and some fancy grips.

S&W model 21 with Ahrends grips. I now have Ahrends Retro Combat grips on it. I also have two S&W Thunder Ranch model 21's. I use Winchester 200 gr Silvertips exclusively. Incredibly accurate.

I have never felt to be at a disadvantage when going out with my S&W Mod 36 and a speed strip.

Just wanted to say thanks for the information. First time visitor who's looking for first hand gun purchase. Very nice to get information that helps compare the options in revolvers. Problem is actually limited stock on hand. But now maybe I'll spend the extra $$ for the S&W .38 if I can find one. Thanks again.

That was great, I have switched from my 1911 to a sp101 with 38+p for some of the reasons you mentioned I am 60 and have had operations on left arm which left me a little weak on that side. I definetly shoot well with the sp101 fast presentation an on target would recomend it to anyone

Nice write up.... Thanks

People may say I'm overcompensating but I carry a .454 Super Redhawk with 2 HKS speedloaders and its fairly comfortable with my cross draw shoulder rig. I use Doubletap's 325gr Equalizer rounds (marketed as defense ammo) which can turn your revolver into a 12-shot gun, kind-of. Every round shoots 2 bullets at the same time. I gave it some range time and it makes tight groups at defensive distances every time. The versatility of this gun as far as ammo is amazing. If I'm going out into the woods I'll put something a little bigger in.

In the summer I carry an Airweight 642 in an uncle mike's pocket holster with Remington golden saber +p's (the best .38 round IMO).

I don't think there's many better deterrents out there then having both a shiny barrel AND bullets staring right at you.

My Taurus 605 Stainless .357 is one of my everyday carries. It is in the rotation with a Glock 30, a CZ P07 and a Taurus Judge (2.5" Poly). I shoot as good with the .357 as I do with any gun in the arsenal.
    TheBigWanad likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzclancy View Post

I haven't posted on this form in quite a while and it's refreshing to see that some are actually coming back to revolvers. I too hung up my 1911 and reverted back to my original heritage of revolvers. I didn't bother to buy an older model from the usual sources as I wanted something where I knew the history, so I ended up with a new 640 that I tweaked a little bit and it does me just fine.
    wmhawth, JD and bmcgilvray like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I carry the Ruger LCR 357 mag. Great gun and very concealable.

I have owned and shot many handguns over the 40+ years I have been around firearms...and I keep coming back to a S&W Airweight 642 with a speed strip in a pocket. It wouldn't be my first choice as a primary handgun in Some-Where-Istan but for here around my parts, I think it's just right.

I have several S&W J Frames that are excellent EDC types. Currently, if not my XDS, I carry a S&W 940 in 9mm. Actually, anything you like, shoot well and can conceal is
    an excellent choice.

I bought a Glock and a 642 earlier this year. Now I have a 686 2.5 and a 642, I just like the feel of steel and wood.

Distinguished Member
    Funny, but I went the other way. About five years ago I had a come-to-Jesus parlay after an afternoon at the range with several revolvers. I came to realize that I do not shoot well on-target with them, period. The pull always put me off. Secondly, I am just flat terrible with speedloaders and speed strips. Yes, I know, practice, practice. Still stunk. In a Mas Ayoob class he talked about adrenalin and what that does to eyesight and reflexes. I thought to myself, as clumsy as i am in "softball" IDPA nerves, can you imagine what I would be like trying to reload a revolver with shaking hands and poor eyesight?
    On the other hand, there is nothing, nothing, prettier than a well made revolver in satin, nickel, or royal blue. Nothing.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links