My review of the Ruger LC9 with video

This is a discussion on My review of the Ruger LC9 with video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The weapon is very good quality. It has a much better trigger than it's competition. It shoots well, worked flawlessly even when I got sand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My review of the Ruger LC9 with video

My review of the Ruger LC9 with video

The weapon is very good quality. It has a much better trigger than it's competition. It shoots well, worked flawlessly even when I got sand and dirt in it and the mag and it is easy on the recoil.

It hides well, carrying comfortably AIWB in a High noon Mr Softy.

Things I didnt like about it..... all of the Ruger "please protect me from myself" junk.... the loaded chamber indicator because we are too stupid to do a visual.... the weapon lock because we are too stupid to be responsible enough to lock it up... the mag disconnect safety because we really want to not be able to fire the weapon at least once in a high stress situation if the magazine is disengaged somehow while carrying or struggling... and of course the external safety because we really need that on a DA only weapon because god knows the LCR and LCP don't have one but work just fine.... Ruger really pisses me off sometimes. Of course I have fixes for all of these problems and have posted in other places how to: remove the mag disconnect and disable the safety, weapon lock, and loaded chamber indicator. however I shouldn't have to. Side note.... if you design a weapon to be for concealed carry... include a second magazine even if you have to increase the sale price. One magazine... really Ruger? Keltec does this as well and I just don't like it.... don't make me have to hunt for another mag.

Otherwise it was great to shoot and much better than the keltec pf9 I shot ( and made the decision right there after a range session, not to pursue it anymore and to look for another slim baby nine) and it will serve me well as a lightweight summer carry weapon.

I plan on doing more reviews on different carry ammo in the future... I was low on DPX and Ranger and I have more on order so more videos will be posted in the future.

This was done with the external safety disengaged at all times and the finger extender removed and the flat baseplate installed... I see no need to further extend a weapon I plan on carrying concealed and find the finger extended useless for this type of weapon.

http://youtu.be/-R5asyQt08o
    rammerjammer and Buckj like this.

2. Remove Ads

Good review. I'm curious to see how the LC9 will hold up to some of your torture tests.

My LC9 now has 400 rounds through it with only the one malfunction in the 100-150 round count.

I plan on not cleaning or lubing it until I get a failure. My G17 is at 6K + and counting

nice shooting,i think that bad guy is toast :)

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I appreciate this report, I've been considering adding a LC9 for pocket carry during the dog days of summer.

Looks like a few of your shots darn near took out the video camera!!! That would have been bad.
    Proud NRA member

los
    Another great handgun review and point shooting demonstration.

I think you draw your weapon from the ground much quicker than I do while standing. (Sad)

Thanks for posting.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I finally got a chance to shoot my new LC9. My experience parallels yours except mine ejects the brass and throws it 12' to 15' (reloads that duplicate WWB MV). I'd like to experiment with a slightly stiffer recoil spring to see if I can get it to pitch it 3' to 6' like my Glocks do with the same ammo.

I've ordered some Hornady FTX to test as carry ammo. It shoots the +P COR-BON DPS which I usually carry in my Glocks and doesn't malfunction, but I like how it shoots standard pressure ammo better. The Hornady isn't +P so I'll carry it with that.

I can shoot my Glocks all day with +P ammo and not have an issue. The skinnier profile of the LC9 (which is why I bought it!) is not nearly as comfortable with the +P ammo.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I finally got a chance to shoot my new LC9. My experience parallels yours except mine ejects the brass and throws it 12' to 15' (reloads that duplicate WWB MV). I'd like to experiment with a slightly stiffer recoil spring to see if I can get it to pitch it 3' to 6' like my Glocks do with the same ammo.

I've ordered some Hornady FTX to test as carry ammo. It shoots the +P COR-BON DPS which I usually carry in my Glocks and doesn't malfunction, but I like how it shoots standard pressure ammo better. The Hornady isn't +P so I'll carry it with that.

I can shoot my Glocks all day with +P ammo and not have an issue. The skinnier profile of the LC9 (which is why I bought it!) is not nearly as comfortable with the +P ammo.

Fitch
    I already went through a box of 20 +P 115 gr DPX and about 12 +p bonded 124gr Ranger ammo and found it not to be bad at all, I have more on order I will do some vid reviews with the ammo when it comes in. I have a lot of 115gr standard federal and such but I dont plan on carrying that ammo

Looks like you almost shot the camera a couple of times! Nice video, thanks for sharing. You practice the way a true confrontation would probably go down... hats off to you! Good luck with the nice Ruger. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

That camera has nine lives. it has almost been shot multiple times. When it survived a tannerite toilet bowl explosion at close range I knew it was a keeper

Nice review. I would try some of that quick draw point shootin BUT I would like to keep my "boys" a few more years. Nice shootin.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Nice review. i like the concept of "self defense" in the video.
    NRA Life Member

Very nice. As a novice I find reviews very very helpful. Thanks for taking to test, tape, and post.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Nice review looks like a great place to shoot, miss the pits back in the old nieghborhood.

It shoot in the desert, lots of it out here, I had to leave my usual place due to gas lines being put in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links