weighing options on taurus small frame models

This is a discussion on weighing options on taurus small frame models within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking mostly at either the model 617 and 817 due to the 7 round capacity. I would like to have the option for ...

Thread: weighing options on taurus small frame models

weighing options on taurus small frame models

I've been looking mostly at either the model 617 and 817 due to the 7 round capacity. I would like to have the option for the magnum round but am fairly certain I would be more than ok just carrying .38 spc. If I did, is there a significant difference between the .357 M617 and the +p rated M817 firing the .38 spc rounds? I also noticed while looking at specs that the 617 weighs in at about 28 oz and the 817 being about 6 oz less - is this a significant difference for carrying? I am somewhat interested in the ultra light frames, but prefer having some weight to the gun as I'm used to firing an sp01. Thanks for any and all help!

2. Remove Ads

I had bad experiences with not only Taurus quality with NIB revolvers, but their customer service. My advice to you is to spend the extra couple hundred on a smith or ruger and save yourself from headaches in the future.

Yeah I was trying to avoid the price of s and w but its true how they say you get what you pay for. Thanks

My only real Taurus experience is with my Model 617. If I were choosing between the two guns you mention I would pick the 617'. You're getting a 7 shot 357 Magnum there. Also, I like the extra 6 ounces in weight. As for Taurus quality, I can only say that I haven't had any problems with my 617. It's a decent gun for the money.
    Attached Images

Links