weighing options on taurus small frame models

This is a discussion on weighing options on taurus small frame models within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking mostly at either the model 617 and 817 due to the 7 round capacity. I would like to have the option for ...

I've been looking mostly at either the model 617 and 817 due to the 7 round capacity. I would like to have the option for the magnum round but am fairly certain I would be more than ok just carrying .38 spc. If I did, is there a significant difference between the .357 M617 and the +p rated M817 firing the .38 spc rounds? I also noticed while looking at specs that the 617 weighs in at about 28 oz and the 817 being about 6 oz less - is this a significant difference for carrying? I am somewhat interested in the ultra light frames, but prefer having some weight to the gun as I'm used to firing an sp01. Thanks for any and all help!

I had bad experiences with not only Taurus quality with NIB revolvers, but their customer service. My advice to you is to spend the extra couple hundred on a smith or ruger and save yourself from headaches in the future.

Yeah I was trying to avoid the price of s and w but its true how they say you get what you pay for. Thanks

My only real Taurus experience is with my Model 617. If I were choosing between the two guns you mention I would pick the 617'. You're getting a 7 shot 357 Magnum there. Also, I like the extra 6 ounces in weight. As for Taurus quality, I can only say that I haven't had any problems with my 617. It's a decent gun for the money.
    Attached Images

Links