Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring - Recommended Replacement Interval

Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring - Recommended Replacement Interval

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring - Recommended Replacement Interval within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As an FYI for owners of the PM9 - Kahr tech support told me today that they recommend changing the recoil spring every 1200-1500 rounds. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring - Recommended Replacement Interval

Lightbulb Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring - Recommended Replacement Interval

As an FYI for owners of the PM9 - Kahr tech support told me today that they recommend changing the recoil spring every 1200-1500 rounds.

The old PM9 I had a few years ago had a different recoil spring design, and it started to fail to go fully into battery at 1400 rounds. Back then, the tech I spoke to said they needed to be replaced every 1000 rounds.

Personally, I would replace mine every 1000 rounds, just to be sure.
    gottabkiddin and bps3040 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    One Helpful Hint Indicator.
    If your ejected brass starts being tossed further than normal it's time for a new recoil spring.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    One Helpful Hint Indicator.
    If your ejected brass starts being tossed further than normal it's time for a new recoil spring.
    Good tip...though those of us who normally shoot indoors will probably not notice, as the brass usually bounces off the stall wall and down your shirt, inducing the "hot brass dance."
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

los
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Good tip...though those of us who normally shoot indoors will probably not notice, as the brass usually bounces off the stall wall and down your shirt, inducing the "hot brass dance."
    Collar buttons need to be replaced once in a while, too. ..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thank you 10thmtn: I have made a note of it.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    As an FYI for owners of the PM9 - Kahr tech support told me today that they recommend changing the recoil spring every 1200-1500 rounds.

The old PM9 I had a few years ago had a different recoil spring design, and it started to fail to go fully into battery at 1400 rounds. Back then, the tech I spoke to said they needed to be replaced every 1000 rounds.

Personally, I would replace mine every 1000 rounds, just to be sure.
    agreed. Can't go wrong with that approach.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    1000 rounds? Do they auto send them quarterly? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cnauman View Post
    1000 rounds? Do they auto send them quarterly? :)
    Ha ha! Unfortunately, the laws of physics dictate that a high pressure round like the 9mm + a light weight slide = less inertia to absorb recoil = beat up recoil springs.

I've previously suggested getting a spare recoil spring for the PM9, and using it for carry purposes only. Use a different spring for practice and range work. Mark them so you know which is which. This will ensure you have a "fresh" recoil spring for defensive purposes. You can always replace the "practice" spring when needed.

Here they are on the Kahr site:

Kahr PM9 - Style # PM9093, Kahr Arms Pistol Parts
    CT Lasers

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Not seeing just the spring, do you have to get the whole assembly? Never heard of any other guns requiring spring replacement so quickly, is there a better after-market spring like Wolff?

Edit:
    http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=1&mID=29

Anyone try those?

The Rohrbaugh R9 requires new recoil springs at a faster interval than the PM9. IIRC, they originally only lasted 200 rounds - the pistol actually comes with a spare spring assembly. I think they now last 500 rounds.

Personally, I would stick with factory parts and replace the whole assembly. YMMV.
    CT Lasers

I'm surprised that Kahr recommends letting them go that long. I would expect that 1000 rounds would be a maximum. The little autos chambered for 9mm, .40, .357 Sig and .45 ACP all eat up recoil springs quickly. Kimber Ultra Carry size pistols usually need new recoil springs at 750-1000 rounds, though I've seen some go 1500 without too many malfs. Baby Glocks seem to go longer, apparently in part because they are oversprung a bit when new.

To answer questions above, Wolff springs may or may not outlast factory springs, and factory springs might be made by Wolff, anyway. If ISMI makes recoil springs for whatever gun you have (not many besides 1911-types) they will last somewhat longer, but certainly not indefinitely.

You do not have to get the whole assembly for the little Kahrs, but you will have to unscrew the two-piece guide rod and screw it back together. It is not hard, but one must be careful to avoid damaging the plate at the rear of the guide rod.

informed owner
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

The baby glock has a longer barrel thus longer spring. this helps with spring life. It is my guess that the new Kimber Solo will suffer the same spring life as the other Micro 9's. Ruger LC9 should be right in with the Baby glock and Taurus 709.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Thanks for the heads up. I gotta be somewhere around 1000 rounds with mine.

I too am suprised at the short replacement interval for the PM9, but still want to get one in the near future . I have a Taurus PT709 and over 3300+ rounds through it still using the stock recoil spring that came with the gun. Some of the loads I have used are the +P and the Winchester NATO loads and it is still working fine. God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links