Narrowed it down, Kahr CW40 or Walther PPS .40? - Page 2

Narrowed it down, Kahr CW40 or Walther PPS .40?

This is a discussion on Narrowed it down, Kahr CW40 or Walther PPS .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SGFvr jyo...if you could....as honestly as possible ....give us your opinion on felt recoil between your CW9 and the PPS...and if you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Narrowed it down, Kahr CW40 or Walther PPS .40?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    jyo...if you could....as honestly as possible ....give us your opinion on felt recoil between your CW9 and the PPS...and if you wouldnt mind telling the load you ususaly use in both...

I briefly owned a Kahr P40, which is the more expensive version of the CW40, and could not stand the feel of the grip when the gun recoiled. The plastic texture on the front and the back of the plastic frame of the Kahr handguns is far sharper and more aggressive than that on the Walther PPS. It really was quite painful to shoot, the way grip would dig into the flesh of my hand. The recoil had a particularly nasty whiplash effect to it, which I believe is cause by the slide being so much heavier than the ultra-light frame.

I had previously shot a friend's K40, and had found it to be most comfortable. But with the P40, I wish that I had shot one before buying the gun. For it turned out that the ergonomics were totally different, and recoil was far worse. I ended up selling the gun a few months later.

In comparison, the weight, balance, and feel of my Walther PPS in .40 S&W was much, much better in my opinion. No sharp grip texture cutting into my hand and causing pain. Both guns are very narrow, though, so if a person has big hands like me, you might want to consider putting a Hogue or Limbsaver Grip sleeve on the gun. The Limbsaver not only improves the grip, but also has an effect to help dampen the effect of recoil. I too, use the smaller size grip insert in my Walther PPS.

So at least when it comes to the recoil of a .40 S&W, I noticed a tremendous difference between the two guns. I found the Kahr P40 to be most unacceptable, while the PPS is very controllable to shoot in .40 S&W, without any discomfort.

The PPS also disassembles just like a Glock. Except that its disassembly levers are far easier to operate than those on a Glock, making it even easier to take apart. So I can break down my PPS for cleaning in just a few seconds. The trigger on my .40 S&W PPS also breaks cleaner than the one on my Glock 17, despite the fact it uses the same type of striker trigger system.

So in my mind, there just isn't any contest here.

NOTE: I just bought a new Sony camcorder this week, so I will have to make some videos of shooting my guns this year, now that I have a real camcorder to work with. It is the brand new Sony Sony Handycam HDR-CX160, and Costco had it for only $449 Quite an amazing little camcorder, that can even record 1080 resolution at 60p ( 60 frames a second progressive ).

jyo
    I don't have an issue with the grip on my CW9s at all---simply not enough recoil with the 9mm to be a problem---have not shot this pistol in 40 cal. but could be much harsher than the 9mm. I DID have an issue with the grip surface on my P45 pistol---this little guy barks! The checkering on the P45 seemed much sharper then the CW9s and I took a nail file to it for a few minutes (didn't change the look of the grip at all, just knocked off the sharp edges)---MUCH BETTER! I also tend to use my shooting glove for casual shooting of the P45---takes a lot of the bark out.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Bottlerocket, I was in the EXACT same situation as you a short while ago. I also carry an HK USP Compact in .40 S&W and wanted to buy a sub-compact 9mm pistol for concealed carry. I was in between the Walther PPS, Glock 26, Kahr PM9 and Ruger LC9. After handling them all, I chose the Walther PPS since it is very lightweight, thin, reliable, ergonomic and has a similar magazine release as HK pistols.

You can't go wrong with the Walther PPS. Even Hickok45 already bought one!!!!

Last edited by alachner; April 25th, 2011 at 07:36 AM.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I only have experience with the walther PPS. The PPS was my first pistol purchase for a CCW, and also my last. I have never felt the need to search for another. 2 years and 1000rds later and I still have no regrets on my choice.

sorry to revive a dead thread walther wins hands down any day of the week , especially one 100 percent german made imported from interarms or earls. i have an interarms gen 1 p99 .40 cal , its the est pistol i have ever shot sa/da trigger is outstanding.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links