Narrowed it down, Kahr CW40 or Walther PPS .40?

This is a discussion on Narrowed it down, Kahr CW40 or Walther PPS .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've narrowed it down to these two. The criteria was a double action, single stack, .40 cal pistol. I looked at the Taurus and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Narrowed it down, Kahr CW40 or Walther PPS .40?

So I've narrowed it down to these two. The criteria was a double action, single stack, .40 cal pistol. I looked at the Taurus and was not a fan at all, and the Sig 239 is just too wide. Between these two I have found a couple good deals on them, but basically the Walther is $150 more than the Kahr. This will be my EDC during the summer time due to size, as I have an HK USP-C .40 for when I have a little heavier clothing on. Yes I know this thread is similar to my last, but it was kinda open-ended, and up for suggestions. I've come down to just these two, and unless a new gun has come out in the past 1-2 weeks that would meet the criteria, its gonna be one of these.

Any insight on these two is greatly appreciated, but please no rumors or any of that junk. Just because you heard Kahrs suck, doesn't mean they do

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Walther PPS easily wins. Just disassemble each gun and take a look inside. The quality of workmanship and materials on the PPS is clearly superior.

The Walther is much more comfortable to shoot. It has a far better grip. And you can make it even easier on your hand further, by slipping a Limbsaver Pro Handgun Sleeve over it. That is what I did on mine. DPMS even makes their powerful recoil reduction guide/spring system for the PPS. So you could always add that if you like to soften the recoil even more. I briefly owned a Kahr P40, but it just tore up my hand. It was way too uncomfortable to shoot.

Do realize, though, that the Walther PPS operates just like a Glock. It is not a DA type trigger like the Kahr has. Instead, it has the exact same type of striker trigger system that guns like the Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield XD pistols all use. And the gun even disassembles the same way as a Glock. In fact, you can quickly take it apart in just a few seconds, much faster and easier than you can a Kahr.

The magazine release is real easy to use too. Very similar in design to the mag release that HK uses on their handguns, but it is actually even easier to use than the HK release.

RockStrongo likes this.

Well, there you have it. To some folks the PPS is superior to the Kahrs and to them I'm sure they honestly feel that way. I have never owned a PPS, but I have checked um out at the GS and for me the Kahrs are the clear winners. The trigger system on the Kahrs is just unmatched IMO and the quality is definitely on par with any of the top manufacturers out there. I have two Kahrs and both are among the most accurate and reliable pistols I have.

I've read negative reviews on both brands and I'm sure the authors were trying to relate to others there concerns regarding their pistols the best way they could. IMO, both pistols are top choices for CC and either or would serve you well. but it's my opinion that the elite trigger on the Kahrs pushes the Kahr to the front of line and a trip to the range will back it up.

Good luck with your decision.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I love Walthers. I want a PPS so bad but wish it had the fantastic AS trigger system of the p99's. Still might buy it as Im in the market for a single stack. (9mm in my case)

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these, personally I'd go for the kahr just because I can't stand that goofy mag release the PPS uses and wouldn't trust myself in a life or death situation to quickly change mags with all my training and muscle memory using a standard release.

Long term Kahr durability ...not so much with their poly models...serious issues begin to arise after 3000 rounds...

never owned the Walther pps,but have a Kahr cw9, no malfunctions of any kind after nearly 500 rounds..super accurate too

This is rather a coincidence, because I was in the exact situation (except I wanted 9mm) a while ago.

I did tons of research, visited shops, held and fired pistols, and narrowed it down to a Kahr versus the PPS. I went to the local shop one final time to hold and compare the two contenders, and an hour later I went home with..........

an HK P7.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

my 2 cents is to try both at the range if your range or LGS has some for rental.

i own a PPS in 9mm. one of the things i noticed immediately when i got to the range was that the recoil feels like goes almost directly into the heel of the hand when you fire. this means a 2nd shot is very quick and easy. very little muzzle flip. it was surprising considering the size of the gun and the poly frame. i would assume that the 40 cal would be similar.

now since the grip is very narrow and it is grooved where it meets your palm, it can feel kind of rough after a box or two of ammo. a limbsaver would probably help, but ymmv.

If you are used to the HK already.. the PPS has a similar placement for the mag release... just a thought. You would probably be happy with either, but my vote would be for the PPS.

* noticed.. LanceORYGUN beat me to it.. I concur with his post.

jyo
    I have both---the PPS in 9mm and two CW9s (one for me, one for wifey)---both are good, solid, small, thin 9mm pistols---the Kahr IS just a tad smaller and just a bit lighter in weight, but has a DAO trigger that takes a bit of getting used to (not too hard to master) while the PPS has a very "Glock-like" trigger and I personally prefer the ambi mag release style that is like my HKs---take your choice and enjoy!

It's going to depend on what you are used to, and certainly try both if you can.

The PPS has the quirky mag release - if you are used to that style, then fine. If not, it could be an issue when trying to reload while under stress. For this reason, the PPS is not on my radar screen - I've never trained with that style of mag release, and I'd instinctively go for where it isn't...whoops...

I own a PM9, and have owned three other Kahr pistols. They also have their quirks. Most require the use of the slide release lever to chamber the first round properly (per the manual and my own experience with them).

If you are used to using the overhand or slingshot method to reload (which I am), you can flub the reload while under stress - the manual of arms is different and you need to use that slide release. Personally, I would not use a Kahr pistol as my "only" pistol - I back it up with an LCP for a "NY reload." If my PM9 fails for any reason, or it runs dry, I will dump it and use my LCP.

The Kahr also needs a 200 round break in. I know there are many posts here of happy Kahr owners who report no issues, even during the break-in period. My latest PM9 has had 3 failures through about the 225 round point. I have 300 rounds through it in total, and will try to get another 200-300 more this week. The jury is still out.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I completely agree here with Lance. There is no comparison in quality between the Walther PPS and the "CW" model for Kahr. You are comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy. The Magazine release is also a non-issue. It takes very little practice to master this style of release. I can switch from a trigger guard release to a standard release and back with no issues. The second that the PPS is in my hand, the muscle memory immediately has me going for the trigger guard release. You also have to consider longevity of your investment, many PPS owners are now reporting 7000-8000 rounds or more and still going strong.

jyo...if you could....as honestly as possible ....give us your opinion on felt recoil between your CW9 and the PPS...and if you wouldnt mind telling the load you ususaly use in both...

jyo
    Hey SGFvr---Sure, glad to help---honestly, the 9mm round just doesn't seem to recoil that much---the CW9 IS a little bit smaller and lighter than the PPS but I really can't tell much of a difference in kick. Both pistols have good feeling grips---I don't use the popular slip-on grip covers because I like the slim feel of the grip---oh, and I never choose between the small or large rear grip piece on the PPS---I find the smaller one better because the larger one makes the grip angle have too much slant---like a glock---the small one, for me, makes the PPS point more like a 1911/P35. The ammo I currently use most for SD is the Remington 115+P JHP simply because I have a large amount of it---feeds well in both pistols. On my larger (HK P2000 9mm) or full-size pistols (HK USPf 9mm) I like to use the Corbon 115+P JHP---this stuff is REALLY HOT!! I also found a batch of LE Federal 115+P+ JHP but this stuff is also hot and for whatever reason doesn't shoot particularly good groups from my P2000---the only 9mm pistol I have tried it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links