LCR Tamer grip mod

LCR Tamer grip mod

This is a discussion on LCR Tamer grip mod within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my LCR for some time now and I can say that IMO, it's a awesome little carry revolver. The only thing I really ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin

Thread: LCR Tamer grip mod

LCR Tamer grip mod

I've had my LCR for some time now and I can say that IMO, it's a awesome little carry revolver. The only thing I really didnt like about it was the Grip that came on it. It came with the Hogue Tamer grip and it felt great for range and OWB carry, but I wanted the deep concealment option available too, so I picked up the Boot grip that's available at the Ruger site. The Boot grip is perfect for pocket carry, but the Tamer seems to print way more due to the size and configuration of the grip itself. The problem with the Boot grip was, it's so small I never felt like I had a good and comfortable grip on it. So, I added a hogue slip over with the finger grove that I really liked. The finger grove gave me such a comfortable grip that after my last range session I search all over the place trying to find a grip that was similar to the pick shown below.
    LCR-BootG.jpg

Needless to say, no luck at all finding anything close. The hogue slip over was okay, but because it wasn't made for the Boot grip it was loose and would slip around after carrying it, and I soon decided it wasn't going to work like I had hoped it would. That's when I decided to alter the Tamer grip that had come on the gun when I bought it. I wasn't sure if I could reduce the grip enough to kinda simulate the overall size of the Boot grip, but if I screwed it up, I could fix it for about thirty bucks from the Ruger site

Anyway, below is the before and after and for me it's perfect! the overall size is pretty much the same as the Boot grip, but justa tad wider, but IMO the finger grove is worth it. I can now get two of my sausages on the smaller grip and the finger grove locks the grip perfectly for excellent control with follow up shots. I used the standing belt sander at my office and made short work of the rubber grip without any damage to any other part of the grip itself.
    LCR-before.jpg
    LCR-After-2.jpg

Now I can carry it in the same fashion as I do with the Boot grip installed, but when I grab it I can immediately tell my grip is solid and I have full control without the need to adjust my grip.

Just thought I'd share this in the event someone else has the same problem and looking for cheap and easy mod to the Boot grip.

Cheers.
    azchevy likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    looking at the pictures I'm having a hard time seeing what exactly you changed. I'm even staring at my own LCR to try and see. Is the only difference at the bottom of the grip?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    looking at the pictures I'm having a hard time seeing what exactly you changed. I'm even staring at my own LCR to try and see. Is the only difference at the bottom of the grip?
    Exactly...... That's the part that would print big-time when pocket carrying.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I know exactly what you mean. Very nice mod.

los
    The abundance of grip options available to the user is one of the biggest advantages of revolver carry.

Congrats on your LCR.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I have also found that the boot grip sucks.... and went back to the tamer grip. I may have to try this.

Nice work! I smell a business opportunity...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Awesome. Just what I need to do to mine. What did you use to grind it down? I'm guessing a dremel with a sanding drum. It looks nice and smooth. Do you think you could get away with removing some material where the middle finger rides just behind the trigger guard? I feel like I could have a higher and thus better grip if there wasn't as much rubber there but I do wonder that it might pinch. Might be worth 30 to try it. I bought the handall jr to go on the boot grip and it fits pretty snugly. No wiggling.

Unlike some light weight revolvers the LCR is reasonably comfortable to shoot and the Hogue Tamer Grip contributes much to that. I wouldn't think of altering mine. I bought a boot grip for occasional use but doubt it will see much service.

Thanks for sharing. Planning to get the LCR and was wanting the boot grip for concealability.. Now not so sure..

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Planning to get the LCR and was wanting the boot grip for concealability.. Now not so sure..
    Well, there's only one way to find out for sure. I've already spent my funny money for this month so it will have to wait till next month.

Yup, I'll see what's available and probably end up with a bunch of grips. Lol.

nice mod
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Links