Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a new Sub-compact

11K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  Cattus Vir 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am looking for some options as I prepare to buy a new sub-compact pistol. I am leaning very much towards the Sig P239, H&K P2000SK or Springfield XD. However, i havent made up my mind just yet. One thing that I am sure about is that I want 9mm so this rules out some of the really fun/small .380 calibers.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a 9mm sub-compact are appreciated.

#4 ·
I recommend you buy the Heckler & Koch P2000sk with LEM trigger. It is an amazing, reliable, tough and accurate sub-compact pistol! You might also want to check out the Walther PPS or the Walther P99AS Compact.

#5 ·
I'd get the SA XD9 SC, if I wanted a 9. I took the SA XD40 SC and love it.

#6 ·
I love the Sig P239. I regularly carry one for work (.40S&W) or off-duty (.357Sig). I recommend them highly. Particularly in .357Sig, I consider just about the ultimate CCW package. However, I would not consider a "sub-compact". A concealable compact, yes, but never in a million years a "sub-compact".
Gonzo

#7 ·
The HK on your list is a very nice handgun. The XD subcompact is also an exceptional firearm. In the subcompact category I personally own several that have been flawless in their operation:

XD40sc (you are considering the XD9sc, same dimensions just different caliber). Great handgun, good fit, reliable, great sight picture. Can't go wrong.
Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact - this is a GREAT handgun. Not ammo picky at all, can't limp wrist it, and it doesn't care if you clean it. It just goes and goes. 13+1 capacity and slim, comfortable in hand.
Taurus PT709 - ultra slim, light, small. Mine has over 1500 flawless rounds through it. A little snappy, can be ammo picky and sensitive to limp wristing, must be cleaned meticulously.

These are ones I have personal experience with. The Bersa is a great gun and inexpensive. The XD is a great all around handgun as is the HK. The 709 is a niche carry piece for deep concealment needs, not really an EDC for me.

Another good one to consider is the CZ Rami. It gets great reviews. The new Ruger LC9 and the SR9c are good options to look at as well. Ruger is a good company with a good quality and CS reputation.

#8 ·
I think the best and most widely used sub-compacts in 9mm for concealed carry are the following:

• Glock 26
  • Springfield XD9SC
  • Heckler & Koch P2000SK
  • Walther PPS
  • Ruger LC9
  • S&W M&P9c
  • Kahr PM9
  • Kel-Tec PF9

As long as you buy any gun from this list, you are in fantastic hands for self-defense.

#9 ·
I personally dont like the XDSC...just feels funny. The HK and Sig wuold be my first choices. The P239 is a nice weapon but is heavy and kind of big for no more capacity than they offer. The P2000SK has better capacity and would make just as good a choice.

#10 ·
Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro. People can say what they want, but my PT140 is one of the most accurate and controllable sub-compacts I've ever shot. The price isn't too bad either. I think mine retails for $483, but they can be had for much cheaper. The only thing is that mine doesn't like reloads. The PT111 might be different, since it's 9mm.

#11 ·
Glock 26

#12 ·
I agree. For a 9mm sub-compact double stack pistol, I think that the Glock 26 should always be on top of everyone's list. I am currently torn in between the HK P2000sk and the Glock 26 for my next purchase. I am a sucker for German firearms, but the more I read about Glock pistols the more I convince myself that I need to have at least one of them in my collection.

#13 ·
I don't have much experience with other subcompacts, but I would recommend the Ruger LC9.

It sounds like you are going with a more expensive and higher end gun, but don't rule out the LC9. I did own a Kel Tec PF9 and would highly discourage you from getting one. Kel Tecs seem to be a mixed bag. You either get a great gun out of the box or a lemon that will constantly be going back and forth to the manufacturer.

Good luck finding a new subcompact.

#14 ·
I am curious as to why you are so opposed to a sub-compact. What are your thoughts?

#15 ·
Thanks to all who contributed. I appreciate your insight.

#16 ·
I have the Springfield sub-compact in 9mm. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Have over 1000 rounds without any issues. Goes bang every time. It is also very accurate. Shoots as well as my service model pistols. Also Springfield has a life-time warranty if anything goes wrong. Can't beat it. Also has 13 round flush magazine along with a 16 I believe. I put a Pearce extension on mine and love it. You can't go wrong. I also like the grip safety for ccw. It is a little wide but I don't have any trouble with ccw. Can't tell I even have it on.

#30 ·
Same here with the SA XD9 C. A lot of firepower in a small package, reliable and accurate as heck. I also got a surprise in a trade from a Kel-Tek P11. A 10 rnd firecracker that's under $300 and has proven reliable enough to carry for backup. It is accurate even with the stiff trigger. I have to say that little package surprised me. It goes with me on bike trips.

db

#18 ·
Glock 26 if you want a double stack. XD9Sc if you can't stand the Glock grip. Kahr PM9/CM9(depending on what you wanna spend) if you want a single stack.

Reactions: bps3040
#22 ·
Springfield's new XDm subcompact looks really interesting as well. I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet, but I love my XD subcompact 40, XD compact 45, and my Glocks 27 and 23. But, I am pretty sure you can't go wrong with anything from HK, Sig, Rohrbaugh, or heck, you can even get a Colt compact 1911 model in 9mm, like a New Agent or a Defender.

#25 ·
Hopefully there is a range in your area that rents guns. If so, go try the three you mentioned, as see which one is best for you. For me, the XD 9 SC was my choice.

#31 ·
My recommendation would be the Taurus PT709. Very light and slim and the manual works just like the 1911 up is safe / down is fire. Mine has been very reliable. You can usually find them NIB at some gun shows for an all black for about $275 and 2-tone stainless for about $300. I hope this helps. God Bless :smile:

#32 ·
I got rid of my hk 2000sk because I could not carry it. Its too chunky, if you dont think thats a problem then the gun is nice. I heard the sig 239 was heavy but nice to conceal, rounds isnt a issue for me so I would sway towards the 239. That said I really carry a SW 3" 1911, and just bought a kahr mk9. I like steel guns and weight doesnt bother me I use a holster and gun belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.