Looking for a new Sub-compact

This is a discussion on Looking for a new Sub-compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I am looking for some options as I prepare to buy a new sub-compact pistol. I am leaning very much towards the Sig ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking for a new Sub-compact

Looking for a new Sub-compact

Hello All,

I am looking for some options as I prepare to buy a new sub-compact pistol. I am leaning very much towards the Sig P239, H&K P2000SK or Springfield XD. However, i havent made up my mind just yet. One thing that I am sure about is that I want 9mm so this rules out some of the really fun/small .380 calibers.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a 9mm sub-compact are appreciated.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

2. Remove Ads

los
    Do you have a budget..?

Less than 1K,..$600..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ruger LC9
    keltec Pf9
    rohrbaugh 9mm

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recommend you buy the Heckler & Koch P2000sk with LEM trigger. It is an amazing, reliable, tough and accurate sub-compact pistol! You might also want to check out the Walther PPS or the Walther P99AS Compact.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I'd get the SA XD9 SC, if I wanted a 9. I took the SA XD40 SC and love it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I love the Sig P239. I regularly carry one for work (.40S&W) or off-duty (.357Sig). I recommend them highly. Particularly in .357Sig, I consider just about the ultimate CCW package. However, I would not consider a "sub-compact". A concealable compact, yes, but never in a million years a "sub-compact".
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

The HK on your list is a very nice handgun. The XD subcompact is also an exceptional firearm. In the subcompact category I personally own several that have been flawless in their operation:

XD40sc (you are considering the XD9sc, same dimensions just different caliber). Great handgun, good fit, reliable, great sight picture. Can't go wrong.
    Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact - this is a GREAT handgun. Not ammo picky at all, can't limp wrist it, and it doesn't care if you clean it. It just goes and goes. 13+1 capacity and slim, comfortable in hand.
    Taurus PT709 - ultra slim, light, small. Mine has over 1500 flawless rounds through it. A little snappy, can be ammo picky and sensitive to limp wristing, must be cleaned meticulously.

These are ones I have personal experience with. The Bersa is a great gun and inexpensive. The XD is a great all around handgun as is the HK. The 709 is a niche carry piece for deep concealment needs, not really an EDC for me.

Another good one to consider is the CZ Rami. It gets great reviews. The new Ruger LC9 and the SR9c are good options to look at as well. Ruger is a good company with a good quality and CS reputation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think the best and most widely used sub-compacts in 9mm for concealed carry are the following:

• Glock 26
    • Springfield XD9SC
    • Heckler & Koch P2000SK
    • Walther PPS
    • Ruger LC9
    • S&W M&P9c
    • Kahr PM9
    • Kel-Tec PF9

As long as you buy any gun from this list, you are in fantastic hands for self-defense.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I personally dont like the XDSC...just feels funny. The HK and Sig wuold be my first choices. The P239 is a nice weapon but is heavy and kind of big for no more capacity than they offer. The P2000SK has better capacity and would make just as good a choice.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro. People can say what they want, but my PT140 is one of the most accurate and controllable sub-compacts I've ever shot. The price isn't too bad either. I think mine retails for $483, but they can be had for much cheaper. The only thing is that mine doesn't like reloads. The PT111 might be different, since it's 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Glock 26
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Glock 26
    I agree. For a 9mm sub-compact double stack pistol, I think that the Glock 26 should always be on top of everyone's list. I am currently torn in between the HK P2000sk and the Glock 26 for my next purchase. I am a sucker for German firearms, but the more I read about Glock pistols the more I convince myself that I need to have at least one of them in my collection.

I don't have much experience with other subcompacts, but I would recommend the Ruger LC9.

It sounds like you are going with a more expensive and higher end gun, but don't rule out the LC9. I did own a Kel Tec PF9 and would highly discourage you from getting one. Kel Tecs seem to be a mixed bag. You either get a great gun out of the box or a lemon that will constantly be going back and forth to the manufacturer.

Good luck finding a new subcompact.

I am curious as to why you are so opposed to a sub-compact. What are your thoughts?
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Thanks to all who contributed. I appreciate your insight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links