For the Kahr guys: Question regarding my new (to me) MK9

This is a discussion on For the Kahr guys: Question regarding my new (to me) MK9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a farily recently purchased MK9 with a GAXXXX serial number. I noticed a "WTB" post on another forum today that states the poster ...

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

I have a farily recently purchased MK9 with a GAXXXX serial number. I noticed a "WTB" post on another forum today that states the poster is looking for a MK9, but specifically does not want a GAXXXX gun. Are there some issues with this particular run of the MK9 that I need to be aware of? I did some research, but the only thing my Google-Fu came up with was that Kahr made a slight frame change after the GA guns and that their current wood and rubber grips won't fit the GS series guns. Any info would be apreciated?

Thanks,

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

The only thing I've heard is that you won't be able to find grips for it because of the frame change so many people do not want one with that prefix.

I don't own a MK9 but have shot one several times and say you bought a wonderful pistol! Congratulations! I am sure if the frame or grip of that model is different it will not be long before grips will be available for your pistol. Enjoy shooting the pistol, I am looking forward to a range report.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

gig
    I have heard that at some point Kahr started factory installing their so-called "elite" triggers on all guns whereas they were only available on select models before this point.
    Might be something to investigate.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gig View Post
    I have heard that at some point Kahr started factory installing their so-called "elite" triggers on all guns whereas they were only available on select models before this point.
    Might be something to investigate.

The Elite trigger is a separate issue. I think the concern with the "GA" prefix guns is related strictly to the availability of grips due to the change in frame. That is whay all the research and opinions seem to indicate.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Call Kahr and aske them directly but I believe this is an old issue. Your gun is probably more than a few years old. You may not be able to put wood on it but you can always get the oem grip. I have an MK9 and it's a fantastic gun but I do wish they had the same grip material as it's big brother the K9. It would be perfect then. There are almost zero aftermarket grips for the K9 and MK9. Can't imagine why but they don't exist.

I tried wood on my MK9 and although I liked how it looked it did make it thicker so I returned to the hard black plastic. Then I added a little bit of step traction strip to the front strap. you buy it at Lowes; it's about an inch wide strip by 15" or so. it's the perfect width for the MK9 front strap. Adding the little thing to the front looks very good (black & black) and makes a great difference in holding it.

My final step was to put a bit of bicycle inner tube over that and the grip. It's soft, the inner tube doesn't move around because of the grip tape, etc., and it's still thinner than just about any gun out there.

It's a very soft shooter, accurate, and more concealable IWB than a J frame.

The PM9 is a LOT lighter but it's a LOT snappier to shoot. I can shoot the MK9 all day at the range.

Enjoy and call Kahr.

Gideon

If the GA serial numbers are from the initial run, it's probably a grip frame issue. I have a LTD serial number (Black-T slide, silver frame) and the grip frame is smaller than the newer MK models. I originally bought Crimson Trace LaserGrips for it, but there was a large gap since the rubber was too large for my MK9.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    To my knowledge, the MK9 GA series grip problem involves mainly the Crimson Trace laser grip. The polymer grips should fit and wood grips may need a slight fitting. Here's a link to a short discussion...
    crimson trace laser grips - questions - KahrTalk Forums

Links