Kahr CW9 .... question of Kahr owners

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 .... question of Kahr owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I've wanted to add a Kahr CW9 to the collection, and the reports of high reliability was one added reason. I bought a Kahr ...

Thread: Kahr CW9 .... question of Kahr owners

Kahr CW9 .... question of Kahr owners

Ok, I've wanted to add a Kahr CW9 to the collection, and the reports of high reliability was one added reason.

I bought a Kahr CW9. I haven't shot it yet, but....... when doing the trigger pull, even un-cocked..... I notice when I pull the trigger the front of the gun rises..... I can't do it without this happening. It seems to have to do with the hump in the trigger guard.

Now, I've got to shoot it, but .... I don't have any trigger pull issues in any guns I have, and have never seen this happen when naturally pulling a trigger unloaded / uncocked. I can steadily pull the triggers of my guns without any movement up or down of the gun, either loaded or unloaded.

So, this has me scratching my head, because obviously it would effect aiming and follow on shots.

Has anyone else ever noticed this ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

My first handgun was (and still is) a CW9. It took me a long time to learn how to pull that long DAO trigger without changing the muzzle position during the pull. I just practiced a lot and over time any movement has pretty much disappeared. Try keeping a penny balanced on the front sight as you repeatedly pull the trigger.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    My first handgun was (and still is) a CW9. It took me a long time to learn how to pull that long DAO trigger without changing the muzzle position during the pull. I just practiced a lot and over time any movement has pretty much disappeared. Try keeping a penny balanced on the front sight as you repeatedly pull the trigger.
    I'm quite accustomed to a DAO trigger pull, being an old revolver guy and most of my guns are DAO. That's not the issue in itself... and do not have an issue with any of them. It seems when my finger hits about where that hump is in the trigger guard it occurs..... I would not have done it any smoother, since it was not even cocked.
    I guess I'll go shoot and find out what it does.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have a CW9 and I do not have this problem. And to be honest, I had never noticed the "hump" in the trigger guard.

When you pull the trigger, is your finger on the very bottom of the trigger so that it rubs the bottom of the trigger guard? Do you have unusually large or wide fingers?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Has anyone else ever noticed this ?
    Yes, this is common for the Kahr design. That's the cocking cam rotating as you pull the trigger and it pushes against the bottom of the slide and moves it a bit. None of the Kahrs are target guns. They are designed and meant for personal protection. They are however quite accurate, as you will soon discover.

I'd never noticed a hump before so I experimented a bit to see if I could find it. What I discovered is that if I let my trigger finger drag along the inside-bottom of the trigger guard then I feel a hump shortly after starting to pull the trigger back, but if I keep my finger up and away from trigger guard I can't detect any discontinuity in the silky-smooth trigger pull.

Could it be that you're letting your finger drag on the trigger guard, and could that be inducing the muzzle rise you're seeing?
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Yes, this is common for the Kahr design. That's the cocking cam rotating as you pull the trigger and it pushes against the bottom of the slide and moves it a bit. None of the Kahrs are target guns. They are designed and meant for personal protection. They are however quite accurate, as you will soon discover.
    I think I agree with this...

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    Could it be that you're letting your finger drag on the trigger guard, and could that be inducing the muzzle rise you're seeing?
    Initially, that's what I was doing, but I changed it so the finger was more 'up' on the trigger and no contact, and it improved, but still there. IT very well could be the cam as mentioned in another post.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I reread this post and think my answer was misdirrected. The cam causes frame to slide movement, whereas the OP was asking about front end rising... not the same thing.

One suggestion as to trigger movement, that some people find helps them in adjusting to the Kahr trigger, is to relax the first joint of your trigger finger as you squeeze. I usually place my finger in the middle of the trigger, the edge of the trigger neat the joint. Shooting a Kahr using the pad of my finger has never worked for me. This allows the finger to stay more parallel and seems to provide a more uniform pull with less movement. Relaxing the joint feels a bit unnatual, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I usually place my finger in the middle of the trigger, the edge of the trigger neat the joint. Shooting a Kahr using the pad of my finger has never worked for me.
    I had to experiment a lot to find out that what works best for me is to use the joint of my trigger finger.

After inserting my trigger finger into the trigger guard, I keep the base of my trigger finger against the side of the grip, and pull the trigger by simply rotating the finger at the second knuckle.

One of the issues that took me a long time to learn how to deal with is that the gun is small in my hand and can move around alot. I found that if I pinch the grip between my thumb and trigger finger, then wrap the rest of my fingers around the grip, that I get the best, strongest and most repeatable positioning. In actual use I do not apply sideways pressure with my trigger finger (I don't actually pinch with it), but it does lie against the side of the grip as if I was pinching. To get the trigger finger into the trigger guard I have to move the finger away from the grip, but then once inside it lies back down against the grip, then I rotate at the second knuckle to pull the trigger. My shots have become much more consistent since figuring out that the above is what works best for me. Maybe this will give you some ideas that will help.

jyo
    Practice - Practice - Practice---it all comes down to trigger control.

Links