Recoil Springs, Magazine Springs, Feed Ramps, YOU BET YOUR LIFE!

This is a discussion on Recoil Springs, Magazine Springs, Feed Ramps, YOU BET YOUR LIFE! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, what an eye opener, I have two carry guns that are down for repair, one new in the last 6 months Glock 19 gen4, ...

Thread: Recoil Springs, Magazine Springs, Feed Ramps, YOU BET YOUR LIFE!

Recoil Springs, Magazine Springs, Feed Ramps, YOU BET YOUR LIFE!

Wow, what an eye opener, I have two carry guns that are down for repair, one new in the last 6 months Glock 19 gen4, the other is a bug 380 that was new this week and it failed out of the box.

Both guns down for a recoil spring, makes you think, we bet our lives on a spring that has a life expectancy of a 1,000 rounds or so, in my case both new guns and defective springs.

While both are down I am glad I have a trusty S&W 642 to carry and a Kahr PM9 that has been flawless for 800 rounds, the Glock 19 has not been reliable enough to even carry yet with 400 rounds.

Revolvers can break, I have to admit I have never had any of mine break over the past 40 years.

That Ruger SP-101 that I have had my eye on might just replace the G19.

Just Saying we trust our lives to a couple of springs.

2. Remove Ads

Relatively speaking, revolvers are much simpler in their operation but you are still trusting your life to a couple of springs even in that platform. I was a died-in-the-wool revolver guy for 20 years and just got into semi-autos the last 2 years. I find myself gravitating to the revolver for my CCW needs more often than not. I think each platform has pros and cons that better fit some circumstances more than others. For most regular joe concealed carry folks in average settings, the revolver is still a good choice. I quite often find myself carrying my SP101 strong side with my S&W 442 in my weak side pocket and feel very well equipped to handle any situation I may encounter. I also frequently carry my 442 in tandem with my semi-autos...just in case. Can revolvers malfunction? Absolutely. Is the occurance rate of malfs in revolvers much lower than semis? Absolutely. When in doubt, the wheel gun can still get it done with a high level of confidence.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    What went wrong with the g19?

You can always go stainless steel with the guide rod.

The G19 gen4 has some problems with 115 Grain bullets is what I have read, the dual recoil spring in my G19 is a #3 and Glock is suppose to ship me a #4. My gun jams a lot with Federal Champion 115 FMJ, any range ammo I have found where I live is usually 115 grain.

I just got through watch Hikok45 on YouTube and he has a G19 gen4 with a #4 spring, it work fine on most 115 grain bullets, he did have to jams with his G19. On all 124 grain and heavier there does not seem to be problems, and on defensive ammo seem ok because it is loaded hotter.

124gr is what the 9mm was mean to shoot IMO & Speer Gold Dots +Ps ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Administrator
    Go for the aftermarket Chrome Silicon springs.
    The recoil spring life of the Chrome Silicon springs is unreal compared to traditional spring steel.

I bought mine from FALCON ARMS (Click Here) but, Wolff sells them now also.
    &ISMI

Links