Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry - Page 2

Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry

This is a discussion on Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by enk5 After you load one in the chamber. Decock and then carry from there. Leave the hammer in whatever position it falls. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    After you load one in the chamber. Decock and then carry from there. Leave the hammer in whatever position it falls.
    Same here, with no safety hammer down with a loaded round in the chamber is the way to go.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Your gun is designed to carry hammer down first shot DA,do not carry with the hammer cocked,the decocker allows for safely returning the gun to DA after chambering a round or shooting with the gun still loaded prior to reholstering
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

DX .40 with one in the pipe. ready to go at a moments notice because that may be all you have.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Smolck,

Carry it decocked with the hammer down.
    My Berettas (92FS) are DA/SA, only the decocker is also a safety.

Many do not like or complain about DA/SA pistols, citing the long pull on the first shot and the variation in trigger pull. I do not find it to be a problem, but I have my own manual of arms for operation. If I am firing from the draw, I use a trigger squeeze draw. That means that I am depressing the trigger druing the draw and the gun fires as soon as it comes on line. The trigger squeeze draw is a good tactic for a DA/SA pistol but requires time and diligent practice to become proficient with. IIRC Jordan favored this method of draw/firing and the BP taught it up until the early 2000s. Safety is not the problem that many would imagine as with the long trigger pull I find it virtually impossible to get on the trigger and depress it to firing befor the gun is drawn and nearly on line, if your draw speed is good. From there on all rounds are single action. If I draw the weapon and do not need to fire immediately, I manually cock the hammer and it becomes similar to a 1911, with all rounds fired SA.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My FNP is SA/DA with a decocker. It is there for a reason-use it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

My Ruger P90 functions in the same manner as the OPs. I don't carry this gun often, but I recommend carrying it chambered but hammer down. I trust the gun but Murphys law and all, without having a safety I would be too concerned to carry it cocked in single action.

Administrator
    Insert the stoked magazine - chamber a round - point the firearm muzzle in a known safe direction - then use the firearm decocker which will lower the hammer down to the carry safe position and holster the firearm.

I should add - Do not ease the hammer down with your other hand while you are using the decock feature to decock the firearm.

Only use the decocker. That is why it is there.

It does not need your help to accomplish the task that it was designed to do.

VIP Member
    DO NOT carry with the hammer at full cock. The gun is has no manual safety and is NOT designed to be carried in the fully cocked position. Drop the hammer using the decocking lever and carry with it in that (half cock) position.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks to all! I have been carrying decocked and it is fine that way. Don't like the trigger pull in that mode, but as fast and accurate as this thing is, it isn't a big deal. What a gun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links