Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry

This is a discussion on Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I figured this is worth another thread. I just bought a CZ75 compact for myself and here is the issue. It has a decocker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry

Full cock, half cock, or not at all for IWB carry

So I figured this is worth another thread. I just bought a CZ75 compact for myself and here is the issue. It has a decocker on the side and is double or single action. So in essence, I can carry hammer all the way back (shortest trigger pull), half cocked, or not cocked at all (very revolver like trigger pull and first shot this way). I always carry with one in the pipe. The gun has no manual safety to speak of. All my other guns have been revolvers or striker fired so this is my first hammered gun. What do you all do? Carry half cocked? That seems to be the preferred method, just curious.

2. Remove Ads

After you load one in the chamber. Decock and then carry from there. Leave the hammer in whatever position it falls.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

los
    If you have a good holster, carrying S/A w/ safety engaged is no problem. But carrying D/A would virtually eliminate the odds of an AD.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    If you have a good holster, carrying S/A w/ safety engaged is no problem.
    His gun doesn't have a manual safety
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

If it had a safety I'd carry cocked&locked but with no safety decocked hammer down for me.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    His gun doesn't have a manual safety
    I see, said the blind Man...

I don't know. One can't ignore Murphy's Law ..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My 24/7 is striker fire, but with one in the pipe, I can only recommend de-cocked. If it has an external hammer, you might be able to cock before firing; but I definitely wouldn't count on it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'd carry it hammer down first pull double action. I carry a 1911 on a daily basis and I carry it in condition one, cocked and locked. The 1911 has a grip safety and a thumb safety though and even with that I don't recommend that type of carry unless the shooter has some training and experience.

Carry DA first shot, SA thereafter...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So mixed bag. The guy I bought the gun from CC the same gun and said it was intended to be carried in the position the hammer falls after pressing the de-cocker. It basically falls between DA and SA with an in between trigger pull. Guess some more range time will tell. I feel I can be more accurate with the de-cocked condition as the trigger is quite heavy with the hammer down (DA).

VIP Member
    I see, said the blind Man...

I don't know. One can't ignore Murphy's Law ..
    From my experience, auto-loaders and Murphy's Law, goes hand-and-hand.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

After you load one in the chamber. Decock and then carry from there. Leave the hammer in whatever position it falls.
    ^^^this^^^

Good advice there. And the same thing I was thinking.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

RKM
    This is why I like to carry stirker guns. Consistent trigger pull, usually no safety. Just draw and fire. 1911's are great, but I don't want to count on clicking off the safety on the draw. DA/SA's are nice, but the heavy first pull is what bugs me. The first shot could be the most important. I'd only carry if it has a fairly light DA pull and is smooth. I LOOOVVVE my Hk, but I'll say, the DA trigger pull is heinous. The SA trigger pull however, rivals 1911's :) So carrying that is usually a no go for me. I've pondered the thought of carrying my 1911 condition 0. Yeah, the safety is off, but the trigger is covered and you still have the grip safety.... but, I still can't get past the idea... yikes.

So, I just carry striker fired pistols as they're easiest to shoot under street and safe to carry due to being DAO.

But as far as your situation goes, if I had to carry your CZ, I'd carry it half cocked (decocked), assuming the putting the hammer all the way down requires you to manual drop the hammer with your thumb on a live round, which is a little intimidating to me. When I decock my Hk (my only DA/SA gun), it goes to half cock.

^^^ I have several hammered semis with de-cockers and this is what I do. I really like hammered semis with de-cocker.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you have a good holster, carrying S/A w/ safety engaged is no problem. But carrying D/A would virtually eliminate the odds of an AD.
    It is a BIG problem in a gun with no grip safety. I know of two instances where the safeties on CZ's have come off when carrying 'cocked and locked'. Both times, the guy carrying the gun wound up shot. The CZ company is really irresponsible for suggesting that a CZ could be carried safely and operated in SA mode. DO NOT DO IT.

The gun has a decocker, use it and carry it DA/SA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links