What do you think about the 9mm Beretta Storm Series for CCW?

This is a discussion on What do you think about the 9mm Beretta Storm Series for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a Beretta .380 Cheeta for years. Taking forum advise to increase the caliber of my weapon; I am thinking Beretta Storm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What do you think about the 9mm Beretta Storm Series for CCW?

What do you think about the 9mm Beretta Storm Series for CCW?

I have been carrying a Beretta .380 Cheeta for years. Taking forum advise to increase the caliber of my weapon; I am thinking Beretta Storm in 9mm. Glocks cut my hand, so I need the high slide for my fat hands. In the Army, I was never "good" with the .45; all of you that are have my respect. I want a caliber that is cheap to shoot but effective. I am thinking the subcompact for ccw and the larger one for range fun. I have never fired a Storm, but I try to be loyal to things that serve me well, and my Beretta .380 has been a real friend. What do you think of my thought process?

2. Remove Ads

I am a huge Beretta fan, but just can't get into the Storm series. They have reintroduced a small run of the 92-series compacts in the last couple of months. I would pick one of these over a P4 any day.

I would try one out in the store before making a final decision. IMO, the Storm is a heavy, thick gun. It wouldn't be my first choice for a CCW.

Personally, I prefer the 92f model.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Everyone who handles my Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact absolutely loves it. Once they shoot it, they have to have one. I also really like the CZ Rami, Ruger LC9, Kahr (several models) but I don't have those. I'm moving more towards .40 calibers now, so no more 9s being added at this time. There are so many great choices in 9mm, it would really pay to look around, handle a lot of them in the stores, and rent some at a range and try them out. You'll know the one when you find it. Fit in hand, sight picture, etc. Happy shopping!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    I don't see anything wrong with the Cheetah. And yes, the Storm pistols leave a lot to be desired. I would not buy one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

They seem like nice guns, but they sure are a chunk. Don't think they'd be easy to carry.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

VIP Member
    I typically like berretta, but I think there are better options in this category.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have the PX4-SC.... and I would not trade it for anything. Those that I know that have the full size PX4, love it. It's good quality, and shoots fantastic, and the PX4-SC has become my main carry gun because of how easy it is to carry, how comfortable it is, how well it shoots, and how reliable it is. I also like the changeable grip straps.

Personally, I like it much much better than the 92 or the Cougar.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hi, I have the full size PX4 9mm.. I open carry alot and occasionally conceal. I love the way it shoots but it is a challenge to conceal.

I really wanted the px4 compact but couldn't wait.

It's heavy, If I conceal I usually do deep conceal with a bushwacker chest holster.
    Maybe the compact or sub compact might be a better choice.

I fondled a PX4 sub-compact at the LGS. It felt good, I liked the pistol, but it just seemed too thick as far as concealed carry goes. If they came out with a single stack I very well might bite the bullet, so to speak, on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have the PX4-SC.... and I would not trade it for anything. Those that I know that have the full size PX4, love it. It's good quality, and shoots fantastic, and the PX4-SC has become my main carry gun because of how easy it is to carry, how comfortable it is, how well it shoots, and how reliable it is. I also like the changeable grip straps.

Personally, I like it much much better than the 92 or the Cougar.
    Good post from an owner of the firearm being discussed. To the OP, I'd like to ad to my post that if you are interested in the PX4sc then you should look at one in the store, hold it, see how it feels and how intuitively it sights in your eye. Remember though that the actual carry weight will include the weight of a loaded magazine. If it still appeals to you, then you should try to find a range or a friend that has one and shoot one. I'd also recommend looking at the myriad of 9mm handguns designed for concealed carry currently on the market. This is probably the most wide open the CCW market is right now and there are more 9mm options available now than ever. I hope you find something that fits your needs perfectly.

I also suggest deciding the purpose this gun will fill (concealed carry only, open and/or concealed, home defense duty) and making out a list of desired characteristics that fits your purpose and needs. Things such as:

- Double action/single action
    -manual safety (or no manual safety)
    -hammered or striker fired
    -if hammered, with or without de-cocker (with ability to de-cock and fire DA mode)
    -capacity
    -grip features (length, thickness, how many fingers you can get on it, formed finger grooves)
    -single or double stack
    -type of sights you like
    -overall size of gun (length, height, thickness)
    -weight of gun

I find that when I approach a particular purchase in this manner, I usually find something that really fits that need well by using a structured approach. I have many handguns, and they all have a particular carry purpose (deep concealment, secondary access, pocket, etc.). If you want one gun that meets many purposes, you have to find balance and comprimise over the entire list of characteristics to fill multiple needs.

I hope this helps and that you find something that fits your needs perfectly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I might add, didn't know if you knew, but the PX4-SC has been used by several Law Enforcement Agy's for a few years before they put it out into the public market, many using it as a back up gun. They took the good and bad feedback , and made improvments in the gun for LEO's. They wanted high usage and actual usage to go by, so they refined the gun before it was in the public's hands. The reviews by LEO's using it over about 3 yrs were very very positive about his gun.

Few "newer " gun models put out there have that background.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
    I am a huge Beretta fan, but just can't get into the Storm series. They have reintroduced a small run of the 92-series compacts in the last couple of months. I would pick one of these over a P4 any day.
    THIS. The Beretta is a fine weapon indeed. I just picked up a CZ75D compact in 9mm and it is very "Beretta like" in how it holds, shoots, and accuracy. May want to try and find one to look at, it makes a good CCW gun too.

Had a problem with the take down " gizmo " on my Storm SC and got frustrated and traded it on a Ruger SP101. It's big but not too big for carry(NOT a pocket gun!). tell the truth, I wish I still had my Bersa Thunder Plus 380 with the 15 round mag; thought it was a little too heavy, but it was not bad at all, on 2nd thought!
    And as a WWII vet told me many times: " it's not the caliber, it's where you place the shot and how many times!" A former Airborne officer I have done business with has said the " little" 32 ACP is overlooked when it can be as deadly in the hands of a good shooter as anything else. So good luck and practice, practice, practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links