Defensive Carry banner

new Colt Commando Special .38 snub

16K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  crzy4guns 
#1 ·
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel
Product Revolver Tool accessory

OK, I'm impulsive. Just a little. But the tax return has this one covered. I hope this gun shoots as well as it feels, because it's pretty awesome.

All steel, parkerized, 6 shots, and weighs in loaded at 28 oz, exactly the same as my Glock 27 loaded 9+1. Nice smooth trigger, nice sight picture.

If things work out, this could definitely be a carry gun. Maybe with the hammer spur ground off. Hopefully do a range report for y'all next week.

Here's something about the gun I found on the web:

A Little History

The Commando Special was a limited time offering from Colt.

During the big Colt strike of the mid-1980's, Colt didn't have enough polishers still working to do the amount of work needed.

So, they introduced a series of Colt revolvers with unpolished black finishes, and had the available polishers concentrate on the premium guns like the Python, and the easier to polish 1911 autos.

These were nothing more than standard guns, only unpolished and with flat black parkerized finishes.

There was a "Peacekeeper" which was an unpolished Trooper Mark V, an unpolished Detective Special known as the "Commando Special" and an unpolished Cobra and Agent.

For unknown reasons, Colt didn't assign special names to the unpolished Agent and Cobra versions.

The Commando Special was only made from 1984 to 1986.

See less See more
#9 ·
Great, practical concealed carry revolver! Easily concealed and easy to shoot well and accurately.

It's your revolver to do with as you please but the hammer spur represents choices. Once removed, a choice is removed. A draw from the pocket is easily accomplished by lightly pressing the tip of one's thumb against the end of the hammer's spur with no need to take the thought and trouble to "cover the hammer spur with the thumb."

How'd you manage the photo of the sight picture? I've tried for those before and never seem to get a good result.

A range report is anticipated.

Oh Bunker. $225 was half price.

#12 ·
How'd you manage the photo of the sight picture? I've tried for those before and never seem to get a good result.
Just luck. I have this basic Kodak digital that has a close-up setting, but it decides what is the point of focus. Smart camera, knows where to sight!

#21 ·
^^^^^^^^Thats kinda what ^^^^I was thinking^^^^^^^

And even if it had a little rust on it.

Good score!! :35:

Think carefully about bobbing the hammer though as it is a one way trip. You can't "un"bob it if you change your mind. :nono:

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

I agree.
If you want to carry a bobbed hammer firearm, go pick up one from S&W or Ruger.
I would leave this piece untouched.

#13 ·
Colts are smooth shooters. You'll love it. I carry a Detective and Cobra 38 (twin of the Detective but alloy). Highly accurate - especially the Detective with the added weight of all steel. Mine are both early-60s. Great Carrys - and they shoot 6.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

#19 ·
Nice gun

Your Colt Commando snubby should function as well as any other Detective Special, even though it is lacking in finish detail. If the finish bothered you, you could have various aftermarket finishes applied, such as conventional polish and blueing by a company like Ford's

Fords Guns

Or you could have black Duracoat or hard chrome done as well.

I've had a Detective Special for about 20 years, buying it new in the early 90s. It is a wonderful gun and I have often carried it in a high ride belt holster where it conceals easily.

#23 ·
If the finish bothered you, you could have various aftermarket finishes applied, such as conventional polish and blueing by a company like Ford's
Actually really like the flat black. It's ugly in a good way. Yours are really nice, though.

#22 ·
Well, you guys are all right about the hammer... including all the good points made above, took it out shooting today and thumbing it back was way too much fun. I think I can work around it.

A brief range report: Tried several kinds of ammo. 130 gr winchester FMJ was definitely something you could shoot all day. 125 grain Remington +P hollowpoints were comfortable and controllable, as were Hornady critical defense +P. In fact the only round that was kind of a handful was 158 Buffalo Bore +P semi wadcutters, but even they would be ok for a self-defense situation, as opposed to shooting them out of my 642, which really felt like being on the wrong end of a well-swung hammer. Accuracy was great. Double action pull was really butter smooth, and since I've fired almost exclusively DAO, SA felt really light and really short. In summary, this is going to be a really enjoyable gun to work with, and definitely a carry piece.

Thanks for all your feedback.

#24 ·
Good for you and your initial range report. Glad to read that you felt the Buffalo Bore +P 158 grain load was at least manageable. I've never shot Buffalo Bore in my Detective Special. Ran out before I got around to it. That Buffalo Bore +P is some tough stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.