Show Us Your Ugly Guns

This is a discussion on Show Us Your Ugly Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Loaded Pipes started a great thread where we can post photos of our "safe queens." Let's try a thread on showing our ugly guns. Doesn't ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Show Us Your Ugly Guns

Show Us Your Ugly Guns

Loaded Pipes started a great thread where we can post photos of our "safe queens." Let's try a thread on showing our ugly guns. Doesn't matter if they are homely by design or from use, modification, abuse or neglect. I'm on a little private forum and we just did this last week to much hilarity. We'll see how far it goes here.

Here's a couple of obscure classics. These aren't mine but they are ugleeeeeee...
    Can anyone name them?

red13 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Don't have any Ugly guns, I will have to work on that.

Mossberg 500, about 20 years old and beat up every way you could imagine. I cracked the wood stock at some point and replaced it with this mismatched pistol grip the finish is destroyed and scratched up but she goes bang every time. God only knows what the round count is I bought it used too.

That top ones a Gyrojet Modern Firearms - Gyrojet

http://gastatic.com/UserImages/2441/...wm_1342013.jpg

WW II .45 cal Liberator...... not mine wish it was they are selling for $2500.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    GryroJet- used rocket propelled rounds. The idea was to be used by astronauts.

Dardick- used a caseless round, in this case a TROUND since it was three sided.........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Don't really have any guns I would think of as ugly.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think of my guns as beautiful, their owner, not so much.

In the interest of full disclosure, here's some genuinely ugly guns from the menagerie here.

Helfricht Model 3 .25 ACP. Produced in Germany sometime between 1920 and 1929. This one is just ugly to the bone! Ugly looking design and with a ugly neglected finish. It shoots. Went to a local gun show a year or two back intending to buy a 1000 primers and came home with this instead for the same price. The primers might have been a better deal. Barrel is so short and bore line is so low that it is almost conceivable that one could shoot the tip of his left index finger if he didn't mind its positioning while shooting the pistol two-handed.

Colt New Navy .32-20 from 1906. This sad old revolver was mis-labeled as a Colt Police Positive .32-20 on Gun Broker. It was "accidentally" won with an impulsive $50 bid which was the opening bid. Someone had ground down the firing pin flush with the hammer and the internals were a mess. It is actually quite a rare Colt with very few made. Some references don't show the New Navy even produced in .32-20. I only need one more small part to put it back in shooting condition and would like to find a better set of original grips.

Colt Army Special .38 Special from 1915. Another sad old abused Colt that was once a gem, this one was obtained solely to use as an educational tool to see if I could repair and rebuild the Colt lock work mechanism. The internals of this revolver are a duplicate of the Colt Python. It was another low-ball GunBroker auction, purchased for real cheap. By the time shipping and the FFL fee was paid I'm not certain it was worth it. With a replacement hammer and some tinkering it was a rehabilitation success. The bore is uniformly frosted with very fine pits but the rifling is still strong and sharp. The old thing actually shoots fairly well and is now dependable. It's still not worth anything but I'm sort of fond of it. It has been tested with +P ammunition.

Before (note the "factory original" electrical tape holding the shattered grips together)

The hammer had some home made junk attached for a firing pin that pierced every primer and wallowed out the hole in the frame. The rivet that held the firing pin to the hammer had even wallowed the sides of the frame.

After

Webley Mark IV .455. The design looks ugly and this one has seen a lot of use since it left the Webley factory in 1899 headed to either India or the Boer War. Pretty is as pretty does though and it is fast and slick to shoot with really astoundingly good ergonomics! The ol' .455 is a thumping good close range big bore round for throwing heavy lead.

A neglected and shabby nickel Smith & Wesson Military & Police 5-inch .38 Special from 1904. This one looks horrid but has a mirror bright bore and perfect action. Can rip off 6 rounds double action rapid-fire as pretty as you please.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    GryroJet- used rocket propelled rounds. The idea was to be used by astronauts.

Dardick- used a caseless round, in this case a TROUND since it was three sided.........
    Goawayfarm is quick and has a good eye.
    oneshot likes this.

Fun thread and great reading. I don't have anything to compete with the above other than a couple of Glocks........but I am enjoying this!

It didn't start out ugly but after some hot reloads I'm guessing it makes the cut. Got this in a email last week, don't know who's it is/was but they sure made a mess of their 44 MAGNUM
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    It didn't start out ugly but after some hot reloads I'm it makes the cut. Got this in a email last week, don't know who's it is/was but they sure made a mess of their 44 MAGNUM
    Somebody had a real bad day!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Many people consider the camel hump S&W model 49 to be rather unattractive. Mine is an old steel model with a ton of carry wear. It's so ugly, I like it. Still shoots like a dream.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's some ugly I could do, BigDude.

I once thought those to be unacceptably ugly. So much so that I wouldn't even look at them and wouldn't have been caught dead actually owning one, and all based on nothing more than appearance. Some years after getting my S&W Model 642 I had an opportunity to carry one for a few days on loan on an occasion when I flew out of state. Now they look like the most practical S&W snub of them all to me and seem endearing.

I want one.

Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links