Purchase new vs used

This is a discussion on Purchase new vs used within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to firearms. One thing I've learned this can become expensive very quickly. I'm retired and a disabled vet. I would value thoughts from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Purchase new vs used

Purchase new vs used

I'm new to firearms. One thing I've learned this can become expensive very quickly. I'm retired and a disabled vet.

I would value thoughts from anyone who purchased used vs new and if budget restrictions was the driving factor.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

2. Remove Ads

I'll buy used if its a really great deal but often the guns don't depreciate much and I can buy new for $50-100 more. One tip I can give you is wait until right before Christmas time, guys start dumping guns like crazy to come up with spare cash!

Buying used vs new is not a problem if the gun is in pretty good shape. That said, I would stay away for off/cheap brands to save money.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    I'll buy used if its a really great deal but often the guns don't depreciate much and I can buy new for $50-100 more. One tip I can give you is wait until right before Christmas time, guys start dumping guns like crazy to come up with spare cash!
    Thats right. I buy new. Usually you can new for not a whole lot more $.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

You can sometimes find a good deal at this site. gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals
    It links to various gun sites around the country. If you have a local FFL who'll give you a break on the FFL transfer fee. You can really do well.
    It includes both new and used gun deals. And some you'll find are out of stock, but it's worth checking out.

Used are fine IF you know how to inspect one for safety or have a gunsmith check it out for you before you buy it.

Glock and SIG (just an example folks!) have a reasonable selection of police turn ins for sale at used prices. These were usually carried A LOT but rarely fired (annual qualifications). They show cosmetic wear but function perfectly.

You can find great deals out there for a good amount of savings over new. Sometimes the difference is ~$100 or so. If $100 buys you peace of mind, go for new. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Iv never bought used, as has been said, normally the price is not much different and iv never had a new car so I like new guns.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I currently own no guns that I bought new. I have a Marlin 336 that is in great shape and paid less than $200 for. I have an old Colt Agent, a Kahr MK9 and 2 HK P7PSP's. Last is an old Glenfield .22 bolt action that I bought for less than $100. Took it home, cleaned it up and found it to be in outstanding condition. It was dirty, as in dirt covered, but no big dings or scratches and the wood was very nice. The blueing is at at least 90% still. Based on what I could find, the gun is at least 50 years old. None of my guns have given me any problem.

latest purchase was used

About a month ago I bought a S&W M&P 9 full size that was used. I called S&W with the serial number to see when it was produced. It was about a year old, clean, looked to be in excellent condition. So far, several hundred rounds through it, all brands, it has been flawless. I saved $150 over new, but really it was more a matter of finding the gun I liked.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I appreciate your input and time.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

IT really depends on what you're looking for. In a lot of cases, you can get something that's almost new but at a used price.

I've bought both new and used... I've had better luck with the used ones. Of the 2 new ones I've purchased, I'm 50/50 for reliability. One was a utilitarian Ruger P89 (shot everything I fed it) and a doorstop Taurus PT1911.

I'll be buying used again.

Four Glocks - all new - they don't depreciate much so new is just easier with little incremental cost. Most other used, as I "stumbled" onto a good deal for something I'd taken a "shinning" to. It is highly dependent upon the gun, the market, your attitude and patience. I only buy used when I am totally comfortable with the seller or my ability (very limited) to "grade" the gun. If a gun has a "lifetime" guarantee from a major company, that helps too..........

CL
    While its true that their isn't a big difference in used and new price on most guns, but ever so often you can find a really good deal on a used gun. Especially at gun shows, you can really get some great used guns at some good prices. From the kiosks to people that go to sell one of their personal guns. Like everyone else is saying though, you need to be able to tell if its in good condition. Good luck, sometimes its only by luck if you stumble on that great deal on a great gun.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    mixed emotions with this, I got a bersa used that was not as great as I had hoped it would be. Great little gun, just not right for me. My Smith and Wesson 629 I got for 700 was a hundred and 50 bucks cheaper, but still looked and functioned like new. No minor or major flaws with it, and by my estimation it had 10-30 rounds through it max. It now has a few hundred more than that and it is my favorite gun by far.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I've bought both new and used. Usually it's not based on money but the individual make and model I'm looking for. I've been fortunate to have had good luck with both. My advise: Don't buy cheap just to save money. Buy a quality firearm that has a lifetime warranty. You will be better off in the long run.
    Question Everything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links