Defensive Carry banner

Bersa .380 or S&W 442 .38 for summer carry?

9K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  zacii 
#1 ·
I carry my G23 and love the .40. I live in so fla. and looking for a small
piece to carry on hot steamy days. I'm looking at the bersa .380 and the S&W 442 .38.
Let me throw in one more choice also, the kahr CW9, thin for iwb carry and more firepower.
Shorts and t's dress calls for smaller more comfortable carry. Jeans and loose T's,G23
is very nice to carry. Revolvers are kinda like glocks, always fire when needed. I really like
the look and feel of the bersa Thunder but how reliable are they? Thanks in advance for all replies!!

#3 ·
I got a 642, absolutely love it. It's not true what they say about snubs not being accurate, they just take practice. A .380 is thinner, and often smaller in every dimension, but the rounded off shape of a j frame takes some of that away. For me, reliability is at the top, so I've pretty much gone to the revolver over my autos.

#4 ·
The 442 is a very versatile carry piece...everyone should have one. The Bersa is a good weapon and reliable, but I'd opt for the snub revolver over the .380.

I've had a 442 for several years with over 1,000 rounds through it. It is a great pocket carry piece, jacket pocket in winter (can fire through pocket), and a secondary access weapon in my weak side pants pocket riding in tandem with my primary carry piece.

My buddy has a Bersa .380 and it is a smooth and accurate shooter. I have a Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact and it is an awesome handgun (the 9mm version of the .380).

Either is fine, so it comes down to personal preference.

#5 ·
I'd say 442. I've got a 642 that sees about 50% carry time in the summer. It disappears in jeans or shorts pockets in an uncle mikes pocket holster. While I carry my XD9sc most of the time when not summer months... the 642 is my quick go to piece when walking the dog at night if I don't want to fully gear up. Love that lil smitty!

#7 ·
Bersa .380 -- 23oz.
S&W .38 -- 15oz.
Advantage: S&W

Bersa starting price @ Gallaryofguns.com $325
S&W $ 459
Advantage Bersa

Capacity Bersa: 7+1, or 15+1 depending on selection.
S&W 5
Advantage Bersa

Personally, I'd give the advantage to the revolver. If you're partial to an auto, there are sub-compact 9mm's the same weight as this .380. The Glock 26, for example, actually weighs LESS!
If you're looking for light weight summer carry, then weight really should be a significant factor.
Nothing against Bersa, but there are much lighter .380's with very solid reputations.
Also ballistics. There's no arguing, in my opinion, that the .38 will stand a better chance to end an attack in fewer rounds.

#8 ·
Thanks all so far on your replies. I agree the quick go to option of the revolver is a great feeling. The size and weight of the bersa is more and i have looked at Kahr CW9 which is light and slim + more KD power and very comfortable to carry. I will probably go with the snubbie but a used Kahr 9 can be found for around $300. Found the 442 NIB online for
$329.00+ 20 shipping + 30 FFL. Upcoming show next wkend is the best place to find a desperate seller walking around with possibly one of these .

#9 ·
Perennial question - .38 or .380

I've read a lot of gun chat threads on the question of carrying a .38 snubby or a .380 semiauto. There are pros and cons of each, and I think it comes down to personal preference for each individual.

I have .38 J frames, a Walther PPK that resembles the Bersa, and a Kahr 9mm mousegun. The comparative size of the J frame and the PPK are shown below, and they are quite similar. The Walther (or Bersa) is also similar in dimensions to the smallest Kahr 9mm, either the polymer PM9 or the steel MK9 as shown.

If you go with the hottest ammo, you can get about 288 ft-lbs of energy from 95 grain Double Tap .380, 336 ft-lbs from 125 grain Double Tap .38 +P, and about 450 ft-lbs from 115 grain Double Tap 9mm +P (in a short barrel). So the 9mm is the most potent.

#10 ·
It's hard to beat a J-Frame for summer carry. But a comparably sized, slim automatic is just as easy to conceal and carry 24/7. Will you be carrying a reload? If so, consider your options with the revolver. Regarding caliber questions, Manufactures offer a variety of formidable defensive loads in both calibers .

Which ever platform you decide to carry, become proficient with the Piece. Above all, make sure the weapon is reliable.

practice, Practice, PRACTICE.

#11 ·
I have always been an auto man but have shot .38 snubbies very well. I like the kahr CW9 because of it's slim and light size but also the j frame is a solid shooter.reliability is most important for me,that's why I carry a G23 mostly but very hot weather moves me into a small but potent choice. Thanks for the pics and ballistics,very thoughtful and informative. No reloads for me,always new ammo.

#12 ·
bikerboy, LOS was refering to an extra reload of ammo either speedloader for the revolver or magazine for the auto. A common misunderstanding. I like to carry my G-23 or G-36 anytime I can but in the hot South Florida summer something smaller and lighter without giving up to much ballistically would be prefered. I like the 442 and that may well be my next purchase since my wife has taken my 638 for her CCW. The Kahr is pricey but a good choice but I would definately carry a reload with it or the 442 or Bersa if that is the way you go.

I have a Diamondback .380 I carry as a BUG but for me a .380 as a primary is a little on the light side so the Kahr or S&W would be my choice leaning towards the S&W. If you go to the gun show next week I am sure you will come home with what you found to be your favorite of the three.

#13 ·
Yeah the snubbie is what I will look for. I just sold my G23 today and picked up a Sig P228 w/night sights,
a little heavier than the glock but what a sweet pistol. 9MM is gonna give me more range time w/ammo prices
and I have some good hornady & Win. SD ammo for it. So off to the show this coming wkend to find a snubbie!

#14 ·
The Bersa Thunder 380 is a great buy: fires every time, is very inexpensive and lasts forever. What else is there? I've had two and just might make it three one day.
Philly Boy in Cincinnati.

#16 ·
I had an LCP, but switched to a 442 and haven't looked back.

For me it carries just as easily, plus it's more reliable and I can shoot it better, than the LCP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.