smith 60 stainless

This is a discussion on smith 60 stainless within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think I will pick one up this week. Carry 357 and shoot 38s. Ought to be a fine carry iron. All stainess. Used for 500 ...

Thread: smith 60 stainless

smith 60 stainless

Think I will pick one up this week. Carry 357 and shoot 38s. Ought to be a fine carry iron. All stainess. Used for 500 with two holsters, iwb and paddle. Let me know what you think.

2. Remove Ads

Though the Model 60 is not my choice for carry, both my wife and daughter, years apart and independently, after shooting a wide variety of handguns, chose Model 60's for carry. They liked the small size of snubbies for conceal-ability but did not like the sharper recoil of lightweight snubbies. Hard to go wrong with one of the standards, if you don't take to it, you can easily sell it for what you paid or nearly so. Enjoy!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

S&W Chiefs Special

The stainless S&W model 60, also known as the "Chief's Special", is based on the original model 36, a blued gun. I believe I have read that the model 60 was one of the first stainless handguns on the market, introduced about 1980. I have one of each model, shown below.

The model 60 is a highly concealable 5 shot J frame gun which resists wear and corrosion well. It has a more durable finish than the blued model 36, and handles recoil better than the airweight J frame revolvers because of its greater weight. I bought the one shown below a couple of years ago for $500 in unfired condition and have kept it unfired. The model 36 shown is also unfired and cost me $450 about the same time.

When I want to carry and shoot a J frame I tend to go with the internal hammer model 642, which weighs 15 ounces and can be pocket carried with no hammer to snag on the draw.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Good looking pair, I have been looking to buy something like these to carry myself, let us know what you think about how they shoot.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The stainless S&W model 60, also known as the "Chief's Special", is based on the original model 36, a blued gun. I believe I have read that the model 60 was one of the first stainless handguns on the market, introduced about 1980.
    The Model 60 has been on the market since 1965.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Taurus makes a Model 617 in stainless that is based on the S&W K frame (pretty much identical) that holds 7 rnds. of .357 mag. It's only slightly heavier than a Model 60 and a better shooter. Too many folks are scared off by the Taurus name. I've had mine for several years and it's my carry gun for fishing. I keep it loaded with 5 rnds. of snake shot and 2 rnds. of .357 mag. for 2 legged snakes. Oh, and it cost about half the price of the Smith NIB.

Ex Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

The 60's? Yea. I kind of like them.

Links