New Ruger LC9 and range report with pics

This is a discussion on New Ruger LC9 and range report with pics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a new Ruger LC9 this week and took it to the range today. I generally carry Glocks, so the long double action ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger LC9 and range report with pics

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

New Ruger LC9 and range report with pics

I picked up a new Ruger LC9 this week and took it to the range today. I generally carry Glocks, so the long double action trigger pull took some getting used to. Even though it is similar, it seemed longer than that of my LCP.

After shooting a couple of mags full, I got comfortable with the "revolver-like" trigger pull. Recoil was sharp, but not difficult to manage and it was easy to get back on target for follow up shots.

I had no failures to feed or eject shooting 100+ rounds of Federal Champion 115gr, Federal LE RHT 100gr frangible and Federal 124 gr HST's.

I do have one concern that I will be contacting Ruger about on Monday. Once after loading up the mag with 7 rounds and sharply racking the slide, I pulled the trigger back about 1/2 way and it would not pull any farther. I double checked all the obvious problem areas: mag seated, slide forward & safety off.

The only way to continue firing was to remove the mag, eject the chambered round and start over. I loaded the round back in the mag, racked the slide and bang it worked like it should. This happened 2 times...this kind of made me feel sick...not what you want to happen with your carry weapon in a time of crisis.

I came home and dry fired over and over trying to make it hang up again, but it would not duplicate the problem. As far as how it shoots, here are 7 shots at 7 yards LC9 on the left and Glock 19 on the right. Notice 3 shots in one hole with the LC9. I'm comfortable with the accuracy coming from my new pocket nine.

IMG00126.jpg IMG00127.jpg IMG00128.jpg
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the range report, we saw our first LC9 at a gun show in Denver today. The question came up as to how the trigger felt so it was good to hear your perception of it compared to the LCP. I hope you get some satisfaction regarding the trigger lock up. It seems like a good small carry gun!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Thanks for the review. Nice shooting too!

Yes, the LC9 is a great little gun.
    I have not experienced the same problem with mine. Please keep us informed.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I spoke with Ruger's Customer service this morning and described the problem with my LC9. The representative was very understanding and helpful. She sent me a UPS next day return label via email within minutes. She said turn around would be about 10-14 days.

I asked her if they had seen similar issues with the LC9 trigger from other customers. She said there have been some other trigger problems and they wanted to correct my problem as soon as possible.

Here's hoping this will not turn into another recall like they had on the LCP.
    Proud NRA member

My guess is it is the trigger spring popping off the bar. After completely disassembling mine I can see where if this spring gets bent in any way, it will affect the trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    My guess is it is the trigger spring popping off the bar. After completely disassembling mine I can see where if this spring gets bent in any way, it will affect the trigger pull.
    If the spring popped off wouldn't it stay off? It only locked up 2 times and shot many more times after that.

Too bad you can't take a gun back to the store and exchange it for another new one. It's frustrating to own something for 4 days and have to send it back to the factory for repair.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    If the spring popped off wouldn't it stay off? It only locked up 2 times and shot many more times after that.

Too bad you can't take a gun back to the store and exchange it for another new one. It's frustrating to own something for 4 days and have to send it back to the factory for repair.
    Not necessarly, it can also get under the bar and jam. I am extremely interested on what Ruger says is the issue. Keep us posted.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Reading this has helped me make up my mind that the LC9 is just not for me. The cons far outweigh the pros of this gun. This is just my opinion, I'm sure it's a great shooter but if I'm going to buy a small 9 it will be the new Kahr CM9.

I do not Beta-test guns.

No Rugers till after they have undergone a "Factory Upgrade as a result of consumer feedback".

An SP-101 or a P95, sure. Any day.

A new design? No. (note the period after the "no"...)

Well I dropped my LC9 off at the UPS store this afternoon...now I wait for 2 weeks.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    We finally put some rounds through ours on Sat, various JHPs including the sizzling hot 80 gr. Double Tap.

Gun ran fine, but the long trigger pull was a negative on what is otherwise a great size for a slim 9mm
    intended for concealed carry.

Still a Ruger (and CZ ) fan, but more of a LCR and SP-101 cheerleader.

Why they didn't make it DA/SA is beyond me.

I don't want da/sa. I want a good da pull which it is and no manual safety

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I don't want da/sa. I want a good da pull which it is and no manual safety
    Agree 100%
    Proud NRA member

Update...got my LC9 back from Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Well I dropped my LC9 off at the UPS store this afternoon...now I wait for 2 weeks.
    I received my LC9 back from Ruger last Thursday.

The packing slip states they replaced the hammer and spring, hammer catch, catch pin and spring and the hammer roll pin. It also notes pistol was function-fired 28 rounds without malfunction.

With business travel, it may be end of next week before I can head to the range, but I'll update when I do.
    Last edited by orangevol; May 9th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links