Woods gun: Glock 22 vs SP-101 .357 mag

This is a discussion on Woods gun: Glock 22 vs SP-101 .357 mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spend alot of time in the woods all year long. Fishing, hiking, hunting etc. I usually carry a 3 inch SP-101 in .357mag loaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woods gun: Glock 22 vs SP-101 .357 mag

I spend alot of time in the woods all year long. Fishing, hiking, hunting etc. I usually carry a 3 inch SP-101 in .357mag loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets. But I have fallin in love with a Glock 22 and Im trying to justify buying it by replacing the Ruger with the G22 for a woods gun. So would you rather have 5 rounds of .357 Buffalo Bore or 16 rounds of .40 S&W? We have black bear here and the chance of wandering upon a back woods "pot" patch. For that reason Im thinking the 16 rounds of .40 would be better.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Take both.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I just use a plain ol' revolver, generally in .38 Special or .32-20, occasionally a .22 LR for such purposes. No bear or pot patches on our property though.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The G22 with 16 rounds of 180 grain bullets traveling at 1000fps. I think that would be good bear medicine.
    NRA Life Member

I think that either would suffice for the bears and niether is going to be very comforting against the AK/ARs of the proprietors of the pot patch.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have seen a magazine of .40 emptied on a black bear and it just make them mad. The .357 would be my medicine for all the above. Just carry reloads.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

We have a lot of bears around here...I've come way to close to them leaving work late and they've been spotted out on the golf course I frequent. If I were going into the woods in my area, I'd be packing my 44 magnum. That's about as good a woods gun as you can get. A small .38 snub tagging along wouldn't hurt...perhaps with 2 snake shot loads ready to fire first along with the other 3 chambers loaded with good SD rounds and a few speed strips with SD rounds in your pocket.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

If you're thinking Glock for the woods, go for the gusto and get the 20. 10mm and high capacity is hard to beat!

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Take both.
    This !

With 180 gr .40 S&W because of the bears. They will work fine on two legged critters also. As Guantes said neither will be comforting againsts AR and AK's.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Take both.
    What he said
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I think sometimes the only reason we worry about such things is cause it's fun. Either will serve you well. A good choice for the 40 are the Double Tap 200 grain hardcast gas checked flat nose bullet. But I would never worry about bear, and here's why; when you realize you are in trouble , it's too late. And, more often than not, you won't see it comin.

Spend more effort on prevention than the cure. Make noise when you walk, stay away from dead animals, and avoid cubs in the spring and summer. Don't carry around food that is not in containers, and always share your food with the bear if he wants it.

I had an encounter on a rainy day where a big black bear crossed the trail in front of me no more than 10 yards. It was raining hard and I think the bear could not hear or smell me. We stared at each other for about 5 seconds before it bolted in the brush. The only weapon I had on me was a recurve bow. Even if I had a pistol in my hand, and that bear wanted me, I doubt if I would be here now.

Nature is not your real danger, people are. The good news is they are stupid, have poor smell ability, don't hear that well. So plan accordingly.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I carry a Ruger SP101 3" barrel .357 magnum also loaded with the Buffalo Bore hardcast loads and it makes for a dandy woodsbumming handgun. I also have a Glock 20 10mm that I have been carrying more as my go to hiking and trail companion. You can find heavy loads for the 10mm from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap that approach the .41 magnum in power, around 780 fpe for example. By having my Glock 20 with me I have 15+1 rounds of powerful medicine for black bears, cougars or anyone involved with illegal drug activity out in the boonies.

My suggestion would be to keep your Ruger SP101 for a camp gun and get a Glock 20 10mm for those extended forays in the bush where you are a long way from help. Unless you are in big bear country or run a chance of crossing paths with an angry bull moose in the rut season, you should be adequately armed with either. However with the Glock you have greater firepower with you just in case you run across Yogi bear and he goes on a bender around your picnic basket while toting an AK.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think sometimes the only reason we worry about such things is cause it's fun. Either will serve you well. A good choice for the 40 are the Double Tap 200 grain hardcast gas checked flat nose bullet. But I would never worry about bear, and here's why; when you realize you are in trouble , it's too late. And, more often than not, you won't see it comin.

Spend more effort on prevention than the cure. Make noise when you walk, stay away from dead animals, and avoid cubs in the spring and summer. Don't carry around food that is not in containers, and always share your food with the bear if he wants it.

I had an encounter on a rainy day where a big black bear crossed the trail in front of me no more than 10 yards. It was raining hard and I think the bear could not hear or smell me. We stared at each other for about 5 seconds before it bolted in the brush. The only weapon I had on me was a recurve bow. Even if I had a pistol in my hand, and that bear wanted me, I doubt if I would be here now.

Nature is not your real danger, people are. The good news is they are stupid, have poor smell ability, don't hear that well. So plan accordingly.
    I agree. I aint worried about no bear. Ive encountered them several times. You leave them alone 99.99% of the time they will leave you alone. I was just trying to make a excuse to buy a G22 to go with my G27.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I think the bears will leave you alone too; having said that. I carry a G-22 that is my carry gun and I love it just like you said you do. I live on the VA / NC line and spend a lot of time in the woods. When in the wood I carry my 44 MAG.... Just me but I want 6 rnds of 44 mag for a wild hog angy bear etc... (although i have never needed it) HOPE I NEVER DO!!! then again I never needed my G-22 in town either but I have it on me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links