Help me Choose.. S&W 3913 vs CW9

This is a discussion on Help me Choose.. S&W 3913 vs CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ugh. Decisions. I have been doing a bunch of research about the two and cant really decide. Im looking for a new carry piece. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me Choose.. S&W 3913 vs CW9

Help me Choose.. S&W 3913 vs CW9

Ugh. Decisions. I have been doing a bunch of research about the two and cant really decide. Im looking for a new carry piece. I have read so many good things about the S&W 39xx series. Unfortunately I cant find one around here to even shoot to see how I like it.

The CW9 on the other hand is at my local range for rent. I need to get down there and run a few rounds through it to get the feel. The CW9 seems to have been praised around here a lot. It seems they both share the same dimensions, with the CW9 winning in the weight category.

Opinions? Suggestions? Any one here own both or shot both? I currently carry an FNP9 and although it works, its not ideal in Florida heat. My other criteria would be that holsters are somewhat easy to find. I heard the 3913 will fit a Sig 239 holster but that was only from 1 person. The CW9 does seem to have more options for holsters out there.

Let me know what you think!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum. I carried a 3913 for years down here in S.Fla. when my departments duty weapon was a 5906 before going over to Glocks when our duty weapons changed over to them. It is an older design but a great weapon as is the Kahr so you are going to have to decide. I have gotten away from DA/SA style weapons and magazine disconnectors but I felt completely comfortable carrying it and used an inexpensive Galco IWB holster. I know High Noon makes holsters for the Kahr and S&W. Have fun choosing.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

never shot the S&W 3913 but own the Kahr cw9,no regrets buying..almost 500 rds through it,no failures of any kind..very accurate too..

Thanks Old School and Crue. Im going to head down and rent the CW9 and see how it feels in my hands. Maybe I just need to get both :)

Toss up

I have handled these two guns, but don't own either one. I admire the 3913 and have heard many good things about it. It is a slim, single stack 9mm that is highly concealable. But it will be slightly larger and weigh more than the Kahr CW9. For concealment it is hard to beat the Kahr. I could see using either one, and would recommend trying them at the range if possible to decide.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I do not own a S&W 3913 but I have shot one. I do own a CW9. My vote is with the CW9.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Well I stopped at a local pawn to see what they had and to my surprise there sat a PM9. Wasnt the CW9 I was looking for but it gave me an idea on how slim it really it. I couldnt believe it. I need to go back down the my gun shop because they have a CW9 for rent. Just a little bit of a drive.

Does anyone know the width on the 3913?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I had a 4013, (same gun .40 S&W) and sold it a while back and bought my 1st Glock, a 27. I did not like DA / SA and wanted the same trigger pull on every shot. I now own 4 Glocks.
    Proud NRA member

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog22 View Post
    Well I stopped at a local pawn to see what they had and to my surprise there sat a PM9. Wasnt the CW9 I was looking for but it gave me an idea on how slim it really it. I couldnt believe it. I need to go back down the my gun shop because they have a CW9 for rent. Just a little bit of a drive.

Does anyone know the width on the 3913?
    The 3913 slide is probably just as thin but the overall width is more because of the safety/decocker.

I have owned both and the CW9 will be the easier gun to carry. It is lighter and overall thinner.

Whether you like or don't like the different triggers would be personal choice.

I have an original model 39 and own several Kahrs my suggestion is go for the Kahr. The 39 is a fine weapon but it is no longer made and may be hard to get repaired if it happens to need it. The 39 is an excelent weapon but I feel like it is old school but then again I carry one of my four 1911's fairly often. Go with you gut feeling you won't go wrong.

^^^Ppretty much ditto High Altitude. I have shot the 3913 (and the 5906). I own a Kahr. Both are excellent pistols so you can't go wrong with either. No problem concealing either. The 3913 is a DA/SA with thumb safety/decocker and the Kahr is D/A with no safety per se. My personal preference is one consistent trigger pull per gun, but which trigger system you like best should be your answer.

I've got a 3913NL and think it's a great carry gun. I had a problem when shooting the CW45 because of the odd shaped trigger guard rubbing on my knuckle- making it difficult to get a comfortable grip. The slide is .91", with release is 1.1" and at safety/decock is 1.168". You might also want to look at the 3913's little brother -the CS9.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    You can not go wrong with a Smith and Wesson. I would go with the 3913 based on that fact alone. Better warranty, great reviews on it, etc.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

If you want DAO just get a 3953 version. I have a 6946 which is DAO and was my first carry gun. The 6946 has over 8k trouble free rounds down range so reliability is great and S&W will support them for a long long time. The Smith will be slightly longer and tad wider in the grip but you can get your whole hand on it so easier to shoot.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Im going to go try and get my hands on a CW9 today. Unfortunately I doubt ill find a 39xx locally to play with :( The 39xx series I have found all are about $100 more then CW9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links