Going back to carrying a revolver.

This is a discussion on Going back to carrying a revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For some reason I have gone back to carrying a revolver as my primary carry. Funny thing is I don't know why. I have some ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Going back to carrying a revolver.

For some reason I have gone back to carrying a revolver as my primary carry. Funny thing is I don't know why. I have some nice semi autos for carry but for some reason when I put my gun on lately for the day I grab one of my Wheel guns. Maybe it is because I am getting old and have gone back to where it all started. Any way, have any of you gone back to revolvers?
    candalos, awoodpd13 and ArmyCop like this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

have any of you gone back to revolvers?
    Some of us dinosaurs never left.

Yep,
    Two days now, grabbed my little j-frame and nemesis pocket holster and away we went.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I do go on a revolver only snit occasionally and carry either my Ruger SP101 .357 magnum, my S&W Bodyguard .38 Special +P or my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special. I really don't have a good reason as to why either, save perhaps for the fact that I still do enjoy my revolvers.
    God bless our troops!

Haven't gone "back" to carrying revolvers, but I do quite often chose to carry my LCR over my Kahr PM9.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

After starting with a revolver in the mid-1970s, I frequently toted a 1911 for some years, but never completely stopped carrying a revolver. These days it's all revolver, all the time.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I guess the fact that I like to carry a revolver makes me an "old guy" trapped in a young guy's body. I like carrying my security six and my LCR. If it's just a quick trip to the store it's the LCR or if i'm going somewhere to or from work since I only want 1 gun in the truck due to break ins @ work.

I started with a Glock 30, but find myself more often than not carrying one of my (many) J frames. You cannot beat the weight, ease of carry, and reliability of a revolver. Carry safely. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Also admire revolvers

Although I probably carry a semiauto more than half the time, I have always admired revolvers for carry and have a number of suitable candidates that I sometimes carry. The things I like about revolvers for carry include:

1. The shape of a revolver conceals very well compared to a semi auto. People make much over the thick cylinder on a revolver, but the grip area and barrel are thinner than most semiautos, and the entire revolver has rounded contours, so it does not tend to snag or print on cover garments like the sharper corners on a semiauto.

2. The reliability of a revolver generally exceeds that of most semiautos, in my experience.

3. Revolvers are simple - no safeties or decockers to mess with, no feeding problems, you can see if it is loaded or not.

4. You can shoot a quick DA shot at close range with heavier trigger pull, or thumb cock for a light single action shot at a distance.

5. You can shoot a wide variety of ammo types in the same revolver, especially if it is a .357 magnum.

6. The 5 or 6 shots in a typical revolver are enough for me and my anticipated needs - I am not hung up on high capacity. And you can carry a small back up revolver if you want.

7. I have found revolvers to be fully as accurate as semiautos.
    borglyn likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I still juggle back and forth between my SA XD40 SC and my S&W Airweight.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I carried my Glock 23 forever and for the last few years carried two or three different pistols... Now I carry a LCR as my primary and my BUG is a PM40, does that count.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Here in Orlando it`s the weather thing. Hot= 642 and Uncle Mike`s in the front shorts pocket. Cool=Shoulder holster under a light jacket with a RIA 1911. Works for me.

I had been carrying semi's and one day, I did a timed accuracy test with a few semi's vs revolvers at a decent distance. This is unload them as fast as you can, timing it, and examing accuracy as well. After seeing the difference between a small circle and accuracy with the revolvers vs the semi's , although not bad to fairly good with the semi's ... it was obvious I was much more accurate with the revolver. I thought .... I should be carrying the revolvers. Since then, the majority of the time I have a 7-shot .357 on me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I carry my LCR every day. Once I get the LC9 to a place where I am comfortable I may alternate, but right now 5 rounds of .357 suit me just fine, if I go remote the G29 is my sidekick.

I switched from Kahr PM9 and Glock 27 to S&W 642 and Colt Commando. They just seem to fill the defensive carry role better for me personally. And there's just something about them. I guess it's growing up as a kid in the 70s with Dirty Harry and all the old movies and shows.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links