Defensive Carry banner

First impressions on carrying the Kahr CW9

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jyo 
#1 ·
I have my IWB holster for the CW9 and even though i have not been able to get to the range with it yet, I have been carrying it around the house this last weekend to see how it would feel.

What I can say is, WOW. This gun is light, it is thin and it carries like a dream. The holster I bought (THE HOLSTER STORE | Pro Carry HD Kahr Arms K KP CW) is not an expensive one but it seems to be a pretty well made one. The clip is very sturdy and holds the gun/holster very well. It does not slip and stays where I put it.

As for actually carrying it all day, I forget I am wearing it. Like I said, it is thin and light and very easy to conceal with just a T-shirt. I can see myself carrying this gun a lot, especially in the summer months.

I still love my G23 but I have a new carry gun to be sure. And i think it may well become the most carried gun in my line up. Plus, I may send the G23 off to Robar for a grip reduction.

For anyone considering a CW9 I can tell you, it is a good carry gun as far as comfort and weight. I'm very happy with mine.

#3 ·
Mike, you will never regret the CW9 carry. I've been carrying my CW9 for almost 2 years IWB, and with about 1000 flawless rounds through it I'm convinced this is finally the 9mm carry gun of my dreams.

Did you do the night sights? If not, I highly recommend that one single modification.

surv

#4 ·
Man...More and more of these CW9 threads popping up. Im debating between a S&W 3913 and the CW9. After just seeing a PM9 in person I really am starting to sway towards the CW9.

Edit: The slide width is .90 inch. I found a good PDF that gives all the dimensions. Heres the link and quick dimensions if someone stumbles on this thread looking for the same thing.

Length: 6.75 in
Width (of slide): .90 in.
Height: 5.0 in.
Barrel Length: 3.5 in.
Magazine Capacity: 8+1
Weight Empty: 24.8 oz

SW 3913TSW Review + Specs

#6 ·
I see you too are in love with carrying your CW9. In my mind it's high up on the list of perfect concealed carry guns. Lightweight, thin, good caliber, excellent trigger, and good ergonomics. The only gun I like more (or at least as much) is my Colt Commander, but that doesn't conceal so well in the summer months.

#7 ·
Thanks for the post, Mike. I'm new to handguns and want to begin carrying. I've spent hours reading and watching videos. I purchased a Sig Mosquito 22 that I am using for practice. For carrying, I've considered the Glock 30, 36, 26, and Ruger LC9. The LC9 was at the top because of the size and with summer on the way, as my first carry, I thought it would be the easiest to get use to. Today, I spent about two hours at a local dealer. Unfortunately, he did no have an LC9 but I handled the Ruger SR9, SW M&P, and a Kahr CW 9. The day I purchased my Sig I handled a Kahr and really liked how it felt. Again, today, I loved the way the CW 9 felt. For now, I decided against a Glock. I'm down to the Kahr CW9 and Ruger SR9.

Reading your post and comment in another thread is very helpful.

Mike

#10 ·
I'm glad you liked my post Mike. Welcome to the site and to handguns in general.

You and I must be a lot alike in more respects than just our first name because I also want an SR9c. It is the next handgun on my "to acquire" list for myself. But I must obtain a CW9 or CM9 for my wife first.

Congrats Mike. It's a great feeling when you find an easy to carry combo. I've been interested in the Kahrs and looked at some of them when I was looking for a small carry 9mm. At the time (a couple years ago) I ended up buying the Taurus 709 and felt the same way about ease of carry. Mine has been perfect in over 1500 rounds, so I have a good comfort level with it. I'm anxious to hear your range report. Specifically I'll be interested in perceived recoil, the trigger characteristics, and point of impact compared to point of aim. The "pocket 9s" are handy pieces for sure!!! Easy to carry around the house in your leisure attire.
I will give a detailed range report when I have the time to actually get to the range. Work is killing me. I am working 6 days a week regularly right now with just one day off for family time and working on things around the house, and it's little league and softball season so we are almost always at one game or another with 3 of the 5 kids playing this year! :blink:

I can tell you, I have dry fired the CW9 a ton with snap caps in it. And the more I do it, the more I love the trigger. It is smooth as glass and no stacking before it breaks. The reset is pretty short and it breaks at about 5 pounds. It is a great trigger. In fact, I think it is the best out of the box trigger I have ever had on a gun I have owned. My wife loves it too and has threatened to steal the CW9 from me if I do not get her one, or a CM9, of her own. :image035:

#8 ·
Congrats Mike. It's a great feeling when you find an easy to carry combo. I've been interested in the Kahrs and looked at some of them when I was looking for a small carry 9mm. At the time (a couple years ago) I ended up buying the Taurus 709 and felt the same way about ease of carry. Mine has been perfect in over 1500 rounds, so I have a good comfort level with it. I'm anxious to hear your range report. Specifically I'll be interested in perceived recoil, the trigger characteristics, and point of impact compared to point of aim. The "pocket 9s" are handy pieces for sure!!! Easy to carry around the house in your leisure attire.

#11 ·
The trigger on the Kahrs is an absolute joy, I'll agree with you there. It's so good it honestly doesn't seem real. Almost like whatever is on the other end of it must be electronic it's so smooth.

#12 ·
The entire Kahr line of dedicated CCWs is a joy to carry. There are lots of good carry guns to choose from, but Kahr is the only manufacturer to focus on carry features and maintain that focus on each gun in their line. Very "Glock like" in the uniformity. My particular choice is the P9, (same as the CW9 for practical purposes), because I prefer a black gun for carry. Some people find the addition of a grip sleeves enhances the quality of the grip. I like the finger bumps myself.

There are many choices of holster for the Kahrs, so finding the perfect holster should be easy. The main problem reported with Kahrs is that some folks report that extra mags will lose a round when being removed from a pouch and finding a good pouch is the quest.

Enjoy your new Kahr CW9.

Any reason to post a pic...:wink:

#13 ·
Nice looking P9 you have there. I have thought about slip on grip sleeve but I really like the grip just the way it is so I'm going to leave mine stock for now.

My CW9 is a two tone. I do like the all black versions of the P9 I have seen though and i think that is what my wife prefers so hers will probably be all black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.