Glock grip reduction

Glock grip reduction

This is a discussion on Glock grip reduction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know Robar does a good job on Glocks. What I am looking for is suggestions of other companies to check out. I have a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GM

Thread: Glock grip reduction

Glock grip reduction

I know Robar does a good job on Glocks. What I am looking for is suggestions of other companies to check out. I have a Glock 23 that I want to have a grip reduction done on. Who has suggestions to check out?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Check out Cold Bore Customs. There are more pics of his work if you search glocktalk.

Cold Bore Customs

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I know Robar does a good job on Glocks. What I am looking for is suggestions of other companies to check out. I have a Glock 23 that I want to have a grip reduction done on. Who has suggestions to check out?

Not sure if this is technically considered a grip reduction, but the GlockStore offers their Glock Grip Enhancement System.

Southwest Shooting Authority also does Glock frame modifications.

GM
    Did you check Bowie Tactical Concepts?
    Bowie Tactical Concepts Pictures Page
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have looked at this extensively to do to a used Glock, Cold Bore and Bowie Tactical have the best looking stuff, IMO
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OD*
    What about doing it yourself, Mike? It's not hard, and it's kinda fun to do.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    What about doing it yourself, Mike? It's not hard, and it's kinda fun to do.
    I hadn't considered that. And I'm not sure I trust myself not to ruin my gun. I'm not a gunsmith by any means.

Have you done this type of thing on your own guns OD*?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Did you check Bowie Tactical Concepts?
    Bowie Tactical Concepts Pictures Page

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have looked at this extensively to do to a used Glock, Cold Bore and Bowie Tactical have the best looking stuff, IMO
    After looking at their pictures. I have to say that I like their stuff better than Robar.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Along the lines of DIY, there's also the candle or heat method.

Grip Reduction Pics? - Page 3 - Glock Talk

FWIW, I have three Bowies, all done on G19s. Two pals have Robar jobs; one on a G19, one on a G30.

ALL of us agree that the Bowie work "feels" better.

To be brutally frank, I was highly UNDERwhelmed with the Robar work. It appears to me that they use some sort of spray-on truck bed liner (I kid you not!) as the final step. Robar has always been a number-one company, in work product quality and customer service. But I fear they missed the boat on this one.

Anyway... there are a BUNCH of folks doing this work nowadays. Some of them are excellent; others... well, caveat emptor.

I can tell you that David Bowie's work is impeccable. My pistols have a lot more customizing than just the grip reduction- look at his "Bowie Signature" model for an idea.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I hadn't considered that. And I'm not sure I trust myself not to ruin my gun. I'm not a gunsmith by any means.

Have you done this type of thing on your own guns OD*?
    I've done it on two, Mike, in addition to removing the finger rests, I used the heat method on the 19's back strap. On the 17, I just removed the finger rests, the finger groove ridges are in the wrong location for me, and my fingers naturally fell right on top of them (on both the 17 & 19). I've always liked the idea of a G19, but they never felt as good to me as the G17 (I've had a couple 19s and one 23), the arch on the back strap hits my palm too high up, and I hate the feel of it, too many years with a 1911 I guess.

I also relieved them under the trigger guard to get a little higher hold, and stippled them both. I'm pleased enough with how they turned out that I've placed the "Blocks" in carry rotation.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I really like the way your G17 looks OD*. I like the look of that grip. I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you did this. What did you use for the heat and how you did the stippling. (a soldering iron?)
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

OD*
    Thanks Mike.

I used a Weller soldering gun with the conical tip to do the stippling, a Dremel to remove the finger rests and a candle flame to heat the back strap of the G19.
    On the 17, I used the Dremel and a sanding bit to knock down just a little of the factory texture and than took after it with the soldering gun. Do some practicing on some other plastic, you can do the base plates of the Glock magazines if you wanted to (cheaper to replace than a frame ). Just take your time, and you'll be able to do it yourself too.

Sponsored Links