Defensive Carry banner

Glock grip reduction

13K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
I know Robar does a good job on Glocks. What I am looking for is suggestions of other companies to check out. I have a Glock 23 that I want to have a grip reduction done on. Who has suggestions to check out?

#5 ·
I have looked at this extensively to do to a used Glock, Cold Bore and Bowie Tactical have the best looking stuff, IMO

#7 ·
I hadn't considered that. And I'm not sure I trust myself not to ruin my gun. I'm not a gunsmith by any means.

Have you done this type of thing on your own guns OD*?

#10 ·
FWIW, I have three Bowies, all done on G19s. Two pals have Robar jobs; one on a G19, one on a G30.

ALL of us agree that the Bowie work "feels" better.

To be brutally frank, I was highly UNDERwhelmed with the Robar work. It appears to me that they use some sort of spray-on truck bed liner (I kid you not!) as the final step. Robar has always been a number-one company, in work product quality and customer service. But I fear they missed the boat on this one.

Anyway... there are a BUNCH of folks doing this work nowadays. Some of them are excellent; others... well, caveat emptor.

I can tell you that David Bowie's work is impeccable. My pistols have a lot more customizing than just the grip reduction- look at his "Bowie Signature" model for an idea.

#12 ·
I really like the way your G17 looks OD*. I like the look of that grip. I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you did this. What did you use for the heat and how you did the stippling. (a soldering iron?)

#13 ·
Thanks Mike.

I used a Weller soldering gun with the conical tip to do the stippling, a Dremel to remove the finger rests and a candle flame to heat the back strap of the G19.
On the 17, I used the Dremel and a sanding bit to knock down just a little of the factory texture and than took after it with the soldering gun. Do some practicing on some other plastic, you can do the base plates of the Glock magazines if you wanted to (cheaper to replace than a frame :wink:). Just take your time, and you'll be able to do it yourself too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.