Commando Grips

Commando Grips

This is a discussion on Commando Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking seriously at a Colt Commando Special for everyday front pocket carry. This is the ugly, black parkerized snubbie that they made from 84-86 ...

Thread: Commando Grips

Commando Grips

I'm looking seriously at a Colt Commando Special for everyday front pocket carry. This is the ugly, black parkerized snubbie that they made from 84-86 but it has a trigger that's out of this world and it's 6 shot. Someone (it looks like factory but probably not) has bobbed the spur off the hammer, but left the rest - you could probably have the remainder serrated and use it SA if desired. My question though is: does anyone know if the Eagle (or ?) secret service grips made for the Detective Special fit this gun. I've read where it's the same as the DS only with the black finish.
    Thanks for the help!
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

Not sure about the Eagle/Secret service grips, but I do know the Commando and Agent were both the same frame size and both have 6-shot cylinders. Very similar in size to the K-frame S&W Models 10 and 12, which are also available in snubbie-length, but the S&W have the rounded butt, making CC in the front pocket MUCH easier. The Colt's have the squared butt, making them easier to grip, but much more difficult to slip in and out of a pocket.

I would suggest taking a closer look at the S&W snubs in the Model 10 or 12, as they are also 6-shot, same frame size, but with the rounded grips or birds-head grips will make it a much better fit for concealed carry.

Also consider that the Colt Agents, Cobras and Commando's have the firing pin mounted on the hammer. The S&W models, I believe, all use the transfer bar with an internal firing pin, making them safe to carry with the hammer down on a live cartridge. Just like single=actions, a hammer-mounted firing pin should NEVER rest on a live round, so if you follow safety guidelines, you will have a larger framed revolver in the Colt series, but still only have 5 live rounds at your ready!

Just a suggestion! I used to own a Colt Agent, and loved it...the matte finish made it appear to be much more a working-mans weapon. But the safety features incorporated into the S&W line made me reluctantly turn her loose to someone else.

Colts can safely take six rounds

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Also consider that the Colt Agents, Cobras and Commando's have the firing pin mounted on the hammer. The S&W models, I believe, all use the transfer bar with an internal firing pin, making them safe to carry with the hammer down on a live cartridge. Just like single=actions, a hammer-mounted firing pin should NEVER rest on a live round, so if you follow safety guidelines, you will have a larger framed revolver in the Colt series, but still only have 5 live rounds at your ready!
    The small Colt revolvers have an internal safety mechanism that blocks the firing pin until the trigger is pulled all the way back. So it can't go off prematurely from a blow on the hammer. The Colt "positive safety" to prevent the firing pin from reaching the cartridge has been around for about 100 years and works just fine. (That is where the word "Positive" comes from in old Colt gun names like Police Positive.)
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

...so which Colt revolvers are NOT equipped with this internal safety?

Just the large single-action "cowboy"-style large revolvers?

thanks for the info: additional info would be appreciated!

Hey, I just bought one of those!
    new Colt Commando Special .38 snub

It's the exact same gun as a detective special, all parts and accessories (at least from the same model series, series 3, I think) should interchange. The only thing different is the finish. Fantastic gun.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Not sure about the Eagle/Secret service grips, but I do know the Commando and Agent were both the same frame size and both have 6-shot cylinders. Very similar in size to the K-frame S&W Models 10 and 12, which are also available in snubbie-length, but the S&W have the rounded butt, making CC in the front pocket MUCH easier. The Colt's have the squared butt, making them easier to grip, but much more difficult to slip in and out of a pocket.

I would suggest taking a closer look at the S&W snubs in the Model 10 or 12, as they are also 6-shot, same frame size, but with the rounded grips or birds-head grips will make it a much better fit for concealed carry.

Just a suggestion! I used to own a Colt Agent, and loved it...the matte finish made it appear to be much more a working-mans weapon. But the safety features incorporated into the S&W line made me reluctantly turn her loose to someone else.

I don't know if it's true for all the model years, but I just downloaded an original users manual from Colt (it's on there page) and there is a safety. Pin can only engage when trigger is all the way back

here's a link for the manuals:
    Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Media / Downloads > Manuals
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Sponsored Links