Defensive Carry banner

Sub compact DA/SA guns for CCW?

54K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  JBPDXOR 
#1 ·
I'm getting my CCW pretty soon and I think I have an idea of what setup I want. Namely: a subcompact DA/SA 9mm riding in a crossbreed supertuck with a gun belt.

I've been looking around and it seems most guns are striker fired (which I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying +1)

Some criteria I need are:
DA/SA exposed hammer
Sub-Compact size
Polymer frame or around 20-25 oz.
Bet your life reliable
~$600 [used acceptable]

The examples I've found that fit the bill are:
H&K P2000SK
CZ 2075 RAMI
Beretta PX4 sub compact [bulky?]
SIG P239 [border-line too heavy?]

I'm 5'10" 160 lbs.

Am I missing any other options? Also, if anyone carries one of the above is it comfortable in the summer? I do live in Florida not a whole lot of opportunities to wear a jacket. =/

See less See more
#36 ·
Well Lets see... Go to the range, shoot Glock 19,then Springfield XD9sc or XDm, the Shoot the HK2000, then shoot M&P9c... Out these some are striker fire,one isnt, If you dont like anyone of these, then GET a 1911.... And the only way to have a SD on your hip is in condition 1 ....

Next is pratice... I allways have one in the pipe as the 2 to 3 sec to rack the slide,is or can be your life...

#39 ·
Anybody take a look at the USP Compact? It's DA/SA, thinner than the others mentioned and fairly high capacity for it's size.
I have an HK USP Compact in .40 S&W, DA/SA with safety/decocker and it has a capacity of 12 rounds. It is my favorite EDC weapon and it is so reliable, accurate and ergonomic. I highly recommend it!

Reactions: whiteox
#38 ·
I agree about not wanting a safety on my EDC. In competition I have neglected the safety not often but once is enough. I find the DA/SA fine, again comparing it to competition you will rarely notice the heavy first pull in a stress situation. I also have a P2000 with the light LEM. A great trigger but it took a while to get used to.

#42 ·
I am a relative newbie to concealed carry but for my money and first concealable gun I purchased the Springfield XDm 9mm compact and I love. I carry a SIG 40 for work and it is, for my hands, a little large to manipulate but dead on accurate. My wife carries the XDsc 9mm and loves hers. Both of the guns are 500-600 price range and worth a look. I am now looking at the S&W M&P compact in a 40 caliber just waiting on the ok from the wife before I spend the money.

#43 ·
Wow I finally found a P239 at a gun store. That thing is HUGE. Way bigger than I expected. Definitely not an option at this point.

I tried the LEM P2000sk, and its FANTASTIC, exactly what I thought it would be like, unfortunately I won't be able to afford one for quite a while...

#45 ·
I carry a SA XD subcompact 9mm during the summer w.no problems. It has a grip safety for those who are leary of DAO. With the 2 mags and 1 in the pipe=33 rnds. of gang busting rapture. It works for me.

db

#46 ·
I Like my total package for CHL. I purchased a Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm for $375 after contacting Littlebearholsters, I order a shark skin 1.5" belt for $95.00 and a IWB/OWB leather holster with shark skin belt loops and trim for $115.00. This package allows me to carry in a number of positions including OWB, between the pants and the belt, IWB, and finally, I made a spring clip adapter and made this holster also Tuckable( I am going to buy Kydex belt loops to replace the spring clip I made)

What I like about this holster is the belt loops are a little over 8" a part for weight distribution. Having this type of holster gives me a wide variety of ways to carry and not have invested a lot of money on numerous different holsters. I know that my next holster will be the Remora and again it is very in-expensive.
So I guess, I like to say that sometimes spending dollars for each item is okay but I looked to make the best use of my limited funds on a total package that meets my varying carry needs and still has a top quality look when I look at the belt or the holster or even at the Cougar 8000 DA/SA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.