Sub compact DA/SA guns for CCW?

This is a discussion on Sub compact DA/SA guns for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting my CCW pretty soon and I think I have an idea of what setup I want. Namely: a subcompact DA/SA 9mm riding in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sub compact DA/SA guns for CCW?

I'm getting my CCW pretty soon and I think I have an idea of what setup I want. Namely: a subcompact DA/SA 9mm riding in a crossbreed supertuck with a gun belt.

I've been looking around and it seems most guns are striker fired (which I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying +1)

Some criteria I need are:
    DA/SA exposed hammer
    Sub-Compact size
    Polymer frame or around 20-25 oz.
    Bet your life reliable
    ~$600 [used acceptable]

The examples I've found that fit the bill are:
    H&K P2000SK
    CZ 2075 RAMI
    Beretta PX4 sub compact [bulky?]
    SIG P239 [border-line too heavy?]

I'm 5'10" 160 lbs.

Am I missing any other options? Also, if anyone carries one of the above is it comfortable in the summer? I do live in Florida not a whole lot of opportunities to wear a jacket. =/

Out of thise guns here would be my order
    1. P2000SK
    2. P239
    3. CZ Rami
    4. PX4SC

All decent choices, but the Sig is probably the best shooter of the four but the HK would be pretty close and is not heavy and has more capacity.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact (aka Mini 9 Firestorm) meets the bill. It also has a de-cocker so you can carry chambered, de-cocked, the hammer then rides off of the firing pin, and you can carry it with the safety then off. Ambi controls. It has a metal alloy frame, long frame rails, and thick metal controls. Very durable and well made. The Bersachat forum has a video of two guys putting over 1500 rounds through one rapid fire one mag after another. No problems. At one point, another guy is pouring a bucket of water on the gun with steam rolling off while they are firing and it just keeps on getting it. Not ammo sensitive, not limp wrist sensitive...goes bang every time. Is inexpensive, but a great gun. 13+1 capacity. Super easy takedown lever. Can remove the slide while chamber is loaded if you so choose. Remove mag, flip leaver, and it slides right off.

It's a great carry piece. You should check one out. Everyone that looks at mine loves it...once they shoot it they have to have one. I now have 2 friends that bought ones after shooting mine. I recommend the duotone model. Mine has the black slide finish and it isn't the best finish. The duotone finish is great.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BugDude; April 19th, 2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Added pics
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Comments

I had a couple of comments on this topic. First, I think your 4 candidates are good choices, and I would favor the Sig or the H&K on your list. I own the Sig P239 in 9mm and like it very much, and I have handled and considered buying the H&K P2000sk. Both of them will cost more than $600 in new condition, but you may know that already. I would tend to call these guns compacts, as opposed to "sub compacts", but that is just semantics.

Smith & Wesson makes a few 9mm guns that also fit your spec, including the models 3913 and CS9:

Old School and jwhite75 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Dont forget about revolvers, you may think of them as old school but they go bang every time and you can get them the size, weight you are looking for in a .357, better knockdown power than those you have listed.

I had a 3913 like pogo suggests...it is an excellent choice and can be had for a good price nowadays on the open market since they are discontinued
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would go with the H&K. Granted with your price point you would need to find one used but they wear well.

I have the H&K P2000sk in .40 and it is easy to shoot. The double recoil spring puts it on recoil with my P2000 which is larger. So with 9mm instead of .40 it should be a dream to shoot.

Agree with Adam42. I too like the revolver.

I looked at some revolvers, and I liked them. I very much enjoy shooting my dad's ruger sp101, and I can stage the trigger in double action to get decent accuracy.

BUT, they aren't DA/SA like a semi auto is, and in a lethal confrontation I don't think I would be very good at staging the trigger. The main reason I like DA/SA is the rate of fire I can pump out rounds with, I like that option. Also, I don't think 5 rounds would work very well against multiple attackers. [not saying it can't be done, it has. But more rounds = better for me]

Another thing I found out is you can stuff P30 mags in the P2000SK. Right now, the HK is winning like Charlie Sheen.

In a self defense situation, the distance will probably be within 30 feet, the last thing you will be thinking about is staging a trigger. 5 rounds of real knock down power plus a couple speed loaders in your pocket and you are set. It all comes down to practice, practice, practice. If you read back on many of the Ayoob files you will find that the DA/SA trigger could hurt you in court (I know its stupid, but lawyers can be worse than bad guys). Statistically what is the probability as private citizen of having to face off more than one attacker (I am reminded of a great scene with Kenny Rogers in the "Gambler"). I am adamantly against the spray and pray mindset, thats how innocent bystanders can get killed. I can understand your thinking on the merits of a DA/SA system, but having to adjust you finger in order to fire your DA/SA tool effectively IMHO I think you are better off with a Glock. The striker fired design with a plunger is safer than any DA/SA setup on the market as long as you keep your booger hook off of the bang switch until you need to destroy something. I understand your mindset, but a revolver or a Glock with a minimum of controls is just one less thing you gotta think about in a stressfire situation.

At the range I always keep the finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot, but in a stressful situation I don't know what I'll do and the DA makes me feel a bit better.

I'm not saying I want to just spray rounds, but the option of more is always better. IF I went with a DAO lawyer trigger, it would probably be something akin to a Ruger LC9 for the weight and size benefits.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

The LC9 is nice, if size and weight are an issue, I used to carry a Kel-Tec P11 (loved the belt clip) for years due to size weight and I was a 9mm fan at the time, you should also look at the PF9. Weight of a handgun used to bother me until I invested in a good gun belt. A good belt makes carrying a full size 1911 all day in the summer IWB or in a Fobus paddle holster comfortable as wearing new pair socks fresh out of the package. When I strap on my .357 snubby on the belt OWB I sometimes forget its there. I have carried daily for a few years now and things I wish I learned early on are that a good belt and holster are almost just as important as the gun you want to carry, carry what feels right to you, get a good flashlight and train with your gear. Save your range receipts, they may help you in the civil trial if you ever have the unfortunate situation of having to use your firearm in self defense.

Good tips! The holster I was thinking of getting is the Crossbreed Supertuck with their gun belt. After seeing how flimsy my milsurp US NAVY belt is, I'm thinking a good holster wouldn't help much without a good belt.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

Right you are on both accounts!!! The supertuck is excellent!!! I also use the invisible holster which is similar to the smartcarry. I haven't used it much since I bought a good belt, but its great for the summer, jogging, the gym etc.....
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    HK P2000sk!!!!!

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links