My only possible gripe with the CW9 so far....

This is a discussion on My only possible gripe with the CW9 so far.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering if this is just something my particular gun does or if this is a common thing with the Kahr line so please let ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My only possible gripe with the CW9 so far....

My only possible gripe with the CW9 so far....

I'm wondering if this is just something my particular gun does or if this is a common thing with the Kahr line so please let me know if yours does this as well.

With an empty magazine and the slide not locked to the rear, my magazine drops free. But, if my slide is locked to the rear as it would be if I fired the gun until it ran dry, the magazine does not drop free when I hit the mag release. This concerns me because in a situation where I have run the gun dry and I need to reload, I will have to actually pull the empty out of the gun and then insert the new magazine.

Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to call Kahr customer service and talk to them about this?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Mike, sounds like with the slide forward it is slightly compressing the follower in the mag. This is giving the mag the push it needs to drop when released. With the slide open, there's nothing to "propel" the mag down.

Does the mag feel like it is rubbing or catching on anything in the grip when you insert it?
    Proud NRA member

One of my mags will drop free open or closed while the other one only drops about an inch open or closed. Not sure about the third, but it looks like a ProMag or an aftermarket so I keep it just for range sessions. I make sure to load the one that drops free first.

Could be tolerances, or it may need to break in. Do you have a second magazine? Try that one too. I sprayed some gun oil on the outside of my mags and that helped them slide out a little easier.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Mike, sounds like with the slide forward it is slightly compressing the follower in the mag. This is giving the mag the push it needs to drop when released. With the slide open, there's nothing to "propel" the mag down.

Does the mag feel like it is rubbing or catching on anything in the grip when you insert it?
    I agree about the follower giving it a push. It feels to me like it is rubbing on the mag release. It may just be that the push that it is getting from the compressed follower is enough to over power the drag from the mag release when the slide is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    One of my mags will drop free open or closed while the other one only drops about an inch open or closed. Not sure about the third, but it looks like a ProMag or an aftermarket so I keep it just for range sessions. I make sure to load the one that drops free first.

Could be tolerances, or it may need to break in. Do you have a second magazine? Try that one too. I sprayed some gun oil on the outside of my mags and that helped them slide out a little easier.
    I have 4 mags total. One 7 round mag and 3 8 round mags. All of them do it.

I am going to call Kahr and see what they say. I'll update the thread after I speak to them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I tried mine.. just one of the magazines, since I didn't want to unload and reload the other. But mine does and does not drop free under both circumstances. Did I confuse you? It depends on the angle that I hold the gun. If I am holding the gun with the muzzle pointed more "up" then the magazine will NOT drop free. Gravity and friction in the magazine well from being at an angle. If more upright it usually drops free. Same thing with the slide locked back. Both ways. But I do have to press very firm on the magazine release, because if not, then it will create drag on the magazine and it will not drop free. Tight tolerances.

This was my CW9. I didn't check the PM9.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

los
    If this only occurs with certain Magazines, it's most likely due to an out-of-spec magazine(s).
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Hmmm. All of mine drop easily at any angle. How new is your CW? I don't really remember having an issue when mine was new, but perhaps this is just a break-in and after a bit of wear they'll be popping free. If you haven't put a few hundred rounds through it, I would give it a little time to see if it loosens up. If more rounds doesn't cure it, I think contacting Kahr is a good idea.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I just checked two of my 8-round mags and they both drop free if the grip is vertical to 45 degrees. They slide out slowly at 45 degrees. There doesn't seem to be an ejection spring. I don't remember having trouble with any of my other mags, but they're not readily available to try. All my five mags are from Kahr. I may have lubed my mags lightly long ago but I don't remember.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    If this only occurs with certain Magazines, it's most likely due to an out-of-spec magazine(s).
    I hate to hear that! I have 4 magazines and all 4 do the same thing.

My CW9 is pretty new, to me anyway. I bought it on GunBroker and the ad said it was used and had approx. 500 rounds through it. I do not know if that is true or not. I plan on taking it to the range to test it out but good in the very near future.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

los
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I hate to hear that! I have 4 magazines and all 4 do the same thing.

My CW9 is pretty new, to me anyway. I bought it on GunBroker and the ad said it was used and had approx. 500 rounds through it. I do not know if that is true or not. I plan on taking it to the range to test it out but good in the very near future.
    Mike, as stated by other Members, it's a new pistol so tolerances are pretty tight.

BTW, are you depressing the release button all the way in..?

Have a CW9, PM9 and P380: CW9 mags were not an issue, but I had to use some paste floor wax on the other mags to get them to jump out. I also clean the mag well, particularly the interior of the mag release after every range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Mike, as stated by other Members, it's a new pistol so tolerances are pretty tight.

BTW, are you depressing the release button all the way in..?
    Now that I think about it, I think I am just pressing and then letting off the mag release. That may be the problem. I am used to just pressing and releasing the mag release button, not holding it down for the entire mag dump. I will give that a try when I get home.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

los
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Now that I think about it, I think I am just pressing and then letting off the mag release. That may be the problem. I am used to just pressing and releasing the mag release button, not holding it down for the entire mag dump. I will give that a try when I get home.
    Cool beans. Come back with an update.

Good Luck !

Just at the range yesterday with a new CW9, mag seemed to hang up a bit at the store but after 250 rounds it slides out like it should. Got home and a second mag was in the mail, it drops out about an inch and then I need to pull it out, so I am figuring it will be fine once I get some rounds through it as well. Just a break in thing with Kahr's I think...

The mags on my LCP come out like greased lightning - they seem to have almost a ceramic coating that is very slippery. Mag changes were no issue during the low-light class I took.

My latest PM9 will not drop the mags free, despite my application of lube to the outside of the mag. I have 300 rounds through the gun so far - may get to the range tomorrow - one more thing for me to keep an eye on.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links