The Importance Of Having A Revolver

This is a discussion on The Importance Of Having A Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quite simply, you can't call yourself a gun guy if you don't know how to run a revolver!...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: The Importance Of Having A Revolver

Quite simply, you can't call yourself a gun guy if you don't know how to run a revolver!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My first handgun was a revolver- an EAA Windicator; .357mag. I have put roughly 1000 rounds downrange with no failures (only issues I've come across were when my thumb slipped off of the hammer when I was cocking).
    My second, is my Taurus; which after only about 350 rounds has only jammed on me once- I got a little too excited at the range and didn't insert the magazine quite firmly enough. (Silly me).

I am comfortable with either semi-auto, or revolver. I will/do trust my life to either- both of them have gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger, and the Taurus was fixed with the 'tap' in 'tap,rack,bang'. The revolver, I just squeezed the trigger and fixed it.

Quickly reloading the revolver is 'interesting' without a speed-loader, but with practice, it's easy enough. And, the Taurus... well... speaks for itself.

I prefer the .357 to the .45 when I think of waking up and grabbing a gun. But, that is on the missus' side of the bed now.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    No LEO's or military mix and match autos and revolvers.
    Gideon
    Ah... guess again, sir.

Cops... a LOT of cops... do it daily. While there has been a "swing" toward small .380 BUGs (at least until they have to shoot someone with it), most of the cops I know who carry a secondary gun, make it a J frame.

And it works the other way, too. When I came on the job in 1978, most everybody was carrying revolvers as a uniform/holster gun. There was a small, but serious, group of cops who favored small semi-autos for their back-up piece.

While I agree that mixing action types isn't the best of ideas, the fact remains that many folks do it, and manage to safely carry and qualify with these divergent pistols on a regular basis.

And nowadays, there isn't much difference between a point'n'pull action like a Glock/etc. and a Centennial J frame.

Not everybody went for small. Some carried a revolver up front and a 1911 for a BUG.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

For the past 25+ years, my bedside night stand gun has been an S&W .38 Special revolver. For most of those years, it was a blued 4" Model 10, a former police gun. Then a few years ago, J&G was selling used police trade-in stainless steel Model 64's at an attractive price, and so I substituted one of those with added Ahrens grips.

Word must have somehow leaked out, and the bad guys must know the S&W .38 is there waiting, because they haven't come around.

gold40

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Wink

LSP972, good point and I stand corrected. I guess I should have said as a primary gun, you don't see mix and match. To the best of my limited knowledge, all modern fighting forces tend to use an auto as their primary service weapon.

I appreciate your point that a j frame is a good bug and I also notice and appreciate the similar manual of arms between my j frames and my Kahrs as far as point and pull a DAO trigger, but when it comes to reloading or dealing with a stoppage the difference is night and day.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm jealous of those of you with the larger hands who can fit the different S&W frame sizes. I too love revolvers and carry them but I sense that as much as we try to rationalize this or that, that having a singe gun that's a reliable auto probably maxes us out on the best all around attributes of a dedicated primary SD gun....as much as I hate to say it.

So for me it's not important at all and could even be a distraction but I have them because I like them. I had to work harder to shoot one well than autos. But if I'd had a .38 service revolver all my life and that's what I knew like the inside of my own eyelids then that's the gun for me unless I'm willing and wanting to put the time in to gain the benefits of an auto. If the auto didn't have the benefits, LEO's and military would still have revolvers as their primary guns.

Right now, any one of my Kahr's are more reliable than my ruger SP101. Figure that one out!

Gideon

1. Out of 45 yrs of shooting many many revolvers, I've yet to have one fail.
    2. Out of 14 different semi-auto's I've had at one time or another, 1/2 - 2/3 rds of them have failed at some point.
    3. Having a hammer on a revolver does not prevent carrying it, nor pocket carrying it, or I"ve been proving that wrong for many years.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hi Eagleks;

My experience pretty much mimics yours only you have 9 years on me and I agree on all points.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If I had to have only one gun, it would be a revolver, both for SD and for range - though I like my automatics.
    BugDude likes this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jglocke View Post
    Can't go wrong with a S&W 357. I carry both a revolver and a Glock 36 and I feel secure with either one.
    Welcome to the forum.

I carry both a SP-101 .357 and a Glock 36 ........sometimes together. I feel very secure then.
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    That basically doesn't happen - not with solid, high-quality, proven revolvers that are well maintained and cared for.
    Which is why I will never buy another Taurus. Only revolver I've ever owned that jammed more than my uncle's crap ass Taurus PT-111.

For home defense, a revolver is a great option, because if your wife needs to use it, there's not as much to remember in order to operate it. I currently have a 1911 in the nightstand, but it will be replaced by my Glock 21SF as soon as I test fire my defense ammo through it.

A 357mag is definitely a good powerful and reliable choice, but my concern is that at night, when my brain would be rattled between coming out of sleep and the sudden jolt of adrenaline, the blast and flash from a 357 fired indoors would potentially stun me and could be the fatal variable in the event my first round misses. A 45acp is no joke either, but it doesn't have the characteristics fireball and muzzle blast that magnum revolvers have.

I also have a Glock 20 10mm, but I prefer the lower blast, flash, and recoil of the 45acp for situations where I may be firing indoors.

If I were to pick a revolver for home defense, it, would be either a 45LC or a 44sp. Big bullet, low pressure, and plenty of thump without all the blast of the magnum.

...on Earth, as it is in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
    ...on Earth, as it is in Texas
    Amen!
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Someone, please tell me what bears have to do with this forum? Funny how some have to bring in a completely irrelevant data bit when they have nothing else to say. Who actually cc's a 454 or 460 or 500? Anyone? Anyone?

6 shots of .357 vs. 13 10 mm - I'll take the 10mm. Against man or beast.

Never said revolvers always fail or semi's never fail, revolver lovers say they never fail - which is completely false.
    Rio Lobo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I would carry a 454... But, I would probably 'need' a Raging Judge first. ...454, 45lc, 44mag, and .410...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Someone, please tell me what bears have to do with this forum? Funny how some have to bring in a completely irrelevant data bit when they have nothing else to say. Who actually cc's a 454 or 460 or 500? Anyone? Anyone?

6 shots of .357 vs. 13 10 mm - I'll take the 10mm. Against man or beast.

Never said revolvers always fail or semi's never fail, revolver lovers say they never fail - which is completely false.
    NOTHING!,
    and i agree with the guy that said you should try to pick one gun and stick with that. revolver or semi, don't really matter clean maintain and fire frequently and you will not have a problem. So to answer the question that the thread title says..............it's not that important. A revolver probably won't fail neither will none of the semis i have because i always take care of them and know what they like to eat. and if either one did than i guess that's the day God had already picked for me from the foundation of the earth.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links