The Importance Of Having A Revolver - Page 4

The Importance Of Having A Revolver

This is a discussion on The Importance Of Having A Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only gun that I've had to send back for work is my Smith and Wesson 642. That said, I plan on adding more revolvers ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: The Importance Of Having A Revolver

The only gun that I've had to send back for work is my Smith and Wesson 642.

That said, I plan on adding more revolvers to my collection.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Someone, please tell me what bears have to do with this forum? Funny how some have to bring in a completely irrelevant data bit when they have nothing else to say. Who actually cc's a 454 or 460 or 500? Anyone? Anyone?
    Sure , I will..... because if a bear is attacking ... you want the most reliable gun you can have, as you don't get any second chances. Unlike a shooting where they might miss , be a bad aim, and you get out of there..... a bear will chase you down. You don't see very many people carrying .45's and relying on them doing the job.

It's all about "reliability" when your rear is on the line.

It doesn't have to be a 454 - 460 - 500 to shoot and kill a bear. Although it wouldn't hurt.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Never said revolvers always fail or semi's never fail, revolver lovers say they never fail - which is completely false.
    In 45 yrs of shooting and many carrying, I've never had a revolver fail, and cannot say that for semi-autos.
    Chief1297 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I own Police Service Six and it is an excellent weapon. Sturdy construction and fires both 357 and 38 so you have option between two types of ammunition. As far as needing a revolver I'd say its a matter of taste. Glock pistols are almost as simple as revolvers put in magazine load the first round and you have them in the same state as a loaded revolver, ready to go. The real benefit of a revolver in my opinion is the use of 357 magnum Hollow points. The 357 magnum achieves a speed that gives more consistent expansion and at loads from 125 to 158 gr. it gives some versatility with just that round, not to mention the ability to use 38 special in the same weapon. I like having a revolver but I still prefer my Glock 19. Matter of taste. : )

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
    I own Police Service Six and it is an excellent weapon. Sturdy construction and fires both 357 and 38 so you have option between two types of ammunition. As far as needing a revolver I'd say its a matter of taste. Glock pistols are almost as simple as revolvers put in magazine load the first round and you have them in the same state as a loaded revolver, ready to go. The real benefit of a revolver in my opinion is the use of 357 magnum Hollow points. The 357 magnum achieves a speed that gives more consistent expansion and at loads from 125 to 158 gr. it gives some versatility with just that round, not to mention the ability to use 38 special in the same weapon. I like having a revolver but I still prefer my Glock 19. Matter of taste. : )
    sounds like you need a Glock 20 or 29 that way you can keep your glock and out muscle the 357
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    In 45 yrs of shooting and many carrying, I've never had a revolver fail, and cannot say that for semi-autos.
    My 40+ year experience has been the same. Actually I did have one revolver failure in all that time which was resolved rather quickly by cleaning the crud accumulation from the extractor. I guess you could say I trust revolvers.

Everybody ought to have at least one revolver.

And if it's only gonna be one, it ought to be a .357

Options are good
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I like the draw, point, squeeze the trigger reliability myself.

It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

In 25 yrs of shooting I've had more problems with my revolvers than semi-autos and have many more rounds through my semi-autos. Just sayin'.

Really? I never have had a problem with a revolver in over thirty years of carrying...wish I could say the same for automatics. My first auto failure was with my Army issue .45 ACP after two weeks in the box down at Ft Irwin. Numerous personal auto malfunctions with the store bought. But then...that is pretty much the norm as I understand it.

Just saying.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

In 25 yrs of shooting I've had more problems with my revolvers than semi-autos and have many more rounds through my semi-autos. Just sayin'.
    What are you doing .. ?? Not cleaning them and beating them with a hammer ? ? (Just kidding you) ... but seriously, what was the failures ?

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Revolvers are a great firearm to have, and everybody should own at least one. But don't be fooled into thinking that a revolver can't/won't fail you...they CAN lock up. If it's mechanical, it can fail.

I guess it is possible, but in 40+ years of wheel gun shooting, 4-6 times a month, it has N-E-V-E-R HAPPENED TO ME.

Me either.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I love my little airweight j-frame and couldn't imagine not having it. It gets considerable carry time plus that is my toss in the pocket [w/ pocket holster] go-to when walking the dog at night. It also stays readily and easily accessible in my nightstand (along w/ my semi-auto). I just love it because it gives me options. There are times when gearing up with my XD9sc just isn't feasible depending on what I'm wearing, where I'm going or how much of a hurry I'm in. With my 642 I really have NO excuse what-so-ever to not be carrying at least something. If I have to run out the door it takes 2 seconds to grab and toss in my pocket where it easily disappears. That's my baby there! I agree with those of the mindset that EVERYBODY should own at least one!

I'm curious to note that some people say it is easier to clean and operate a Glock than a revolver. Someone else may have addressed this but I only read the first page.

Unless you're using some kind of funky revolver I don't see how this is the case. You don't even have to take anything apart to clean a revolver, everything is right out there in the open. Glocks are fairly easy to field strip but still require directions and a bit of learning to do so. A little bit more surface area to clean in a semi auto also.

Not sure I agree on ease of use either. Glocks are simple, no doubt about it. Load magazine, insert magazine, rack slide (or hit slide release), pull trigger. Four steps. Revolver, insert rounds into cylinder, close cylinder, pull trigger. Three steps.

I say revolvers are the utmost in simplicity for cleaning and operation. My first handgun purchased was a revolver, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I don't carry it much any more because I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with it, and haven't been able to refine my skills due to the price and availability problems that have plagued .38 Special in recent years.

Eric357 likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links