The Importance Of Having A Revolver - Page 6

The Importance Of Having A Revolver

This is a discussion on The Importance Of Having A Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 Most street punks are NOT going to stick around once the first round is fired. Punks look for the ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: The Importance Of Having A Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Most street punks are NOT going to stick around once the first round is fired. Punks look for the weak, they are not Marines, or SEALS, willing to get into a protracted fire fight to secure an objective.
    I agree with this, but if by some means, 2, 3 or more get the drop on you, you are way behind the eight ball.
    USM1976 likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Note that I said I carry my LCR and my 637. Ten rounds ought to be sufficient in most any CC situation, or I'm in desperate need of practice. I understand your point, but I just think the reliability factor in a crisis is better with the revolver than the autoloader; to much opportunity for slide malfunction and other unforeseen situations IMO.YMMV

I have to agree with this concept. You're better armed with two smaller handguns than you are with just one big blaster, IMHO. Whether you carry two revolvers, or two pistols, or one of each really doesn't matter. Just carry two. The odds of both of them malfunctioning during the same incident is virtually zero.

For me, lately I'm carrying a PM9 and a LCP, one in each front pocket. With my big ol' tree trunk thighs, I need the flatter profile of the pistol instead of the revolver.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I'm curious to note that some people say it is easier to clean and operate a Glock than a revolver. Someone else may have addressed this but I only read the first page.

Unless you're using some kind of funky revolver I don't see how this is the case. You don't even have to take anything apart to clean a revolver, everything is right out there in the open. Glocks are fairly easy to field strip but still require directions and a bit of learning to do so. A little bit more surface area to clean in a semi auto also.

Not sure I agree on ease of use either. Glocks are simple, no doubt about it. Load magazine, insert magazine, rack slide (or hit slide release), pull trigger. Four steps. Revolver, insert rounds into cylinder, close cylinder, pull trigger. Three steps.

I say revolvers are the utmost in simplicity for cleaning and operation. My first handgun purchased was a revolver, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I don't carry it much any more because I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with it, and haven't been able to refine my skills due to the price and availability problems that have plagued .38 Special in recent years.

Where can I get a set of grips like that?!?!?! That would look sweet on my 442.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I don't care who you are, if you hear the crack of a .357mag you are going to be scrambling. I tend to look at it like a fist fight with punks and bullies, if you knock one straight in the kisser the others panic 70% of the time. Lets face it, most of them gang up because they are cowards.
    That reminds me of something Mike Tyson said at the height of his career: "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face." Thugs have a plan until they hear a .357.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Where can I get a set of grips like that?!?!?! That would look sweet on my 442.
    It looks like, for now, he doesn't have ones like those in stock right now. But he'll probably make another set again sooner or later, they pop up from time to time.

Keep checking this guy's store on ebay:

CLIPS-N-GRIPS items - Get great deals on FOLDING KNIVES, GUN PARTS items on eBay Stores!

Although...it looks like he hasn't made anything for 6 months going by his feedback. Hope he's not quitting, I love those rosewood grips.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I love both but carry either SP101 or S&W Mod 60 ,speed strips, flashlight an a strider LMF hope I never fall in a lake, Before anybody asks one the Smith is ported I use 357 in that one an 38 +ps in the SP

Revolvers are good, basically, and I have a few of them. SInce I have some .38 Special stockpiled I've been concealed-carrying my Colt Agent and Charter Arms 'Off Duty', though in some situations I'll take the old S&W 28 .357 out if I feel something heftier is warranted, or a couple of others in my collection like an Astra Terminator .44 I sort of lucked into awhile back.

Re: The Importance Of Having A Revolver

For several years I only had a 22mag revolver that wasnt a CC gun. I carried semi autos everytime I went out.

Early last year I bought my .357 more out of curiosity than anything. After taking it to the range and putting several hundred rounds through it ive fell in love with it. Since then its become my comfy to carry, go to gun. I purposely bought the 7 shot taurus model to even my odds against a semi auto and hardly ever fall back to carrying my semi autos.

I just picked up my .44 today as a bear gun and like it so much, I will be carrying it for a while in place of the .357. Theres just something magical, perhaps simply nostalgic about a revolver. Im using 44 specials for carry and figure the stopping power of that nice wide bullet will be beneficial if the need arises.

Some people are revolver people, some are not. You'll have to make that determination.

Administrator
    The police service six is a great revolver.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd buy the Ruger if the price is good.The security -six,speed six are built like a tank and you won't wear it out
    .Ruger stopped making security=six ,speed -six in 1983.My stainless still looks like I just bought it.They were
    replaced with the stout sp101 which I buy in a second as I am a ruger revolver guy.My s+w revolver seems
    so fine in comparision and the prices $650 for bodyguard ,lazer ,bobbed hammer is excellent carry.Why
    the lazer I don't know but I'd shoot at the light.Some may see this type of site as advantage but I don't.

...agreed on the Rugers...just picked up another...SP101 .357 w/factory bobbed hammer...true DAO...
    ...would trade it even for the stainless Speed Six...best revolver I ever owned...mine was 4"...Ruger then and Ruger now!!!

My first gun was a S&W 686 + 4 inch. Still my favorite. I carry it alot, it's also my house gun. I like the idea of a revolver as a nightstand gun. If your woke in the middle of the night with a BG in your room I think a revolver is better as you don't have to worry about FTF/FTF due to a compromised grip.

Just last month I injured the index finger of my off hand, 10 stiches. Racking the slide and griping a Semi-Auto was out of the question. I could still nicely group .357's one handed with my 686. Many of you may train to shoot your semi-auto one handed but I think a revolver is inherently better for that application.

I would not feel compleat without a revolver in my collection. I want another, debateing between a model 60 or 2.5 inch 686.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I like both semis and revolvers. I know many people cant understand the desire to own or use a revovler. I bought my first .357 about 20years ago. I have a love affar not only with the revolver but with the .357. Whil we dont have tons of firearms we do have 3 .357s. Me and the wife are about to purchase our first semi-auto's. So often people are very negative against revolvers. There is always the capacity thing. And while I know speed loaders arent as quick as slamming in a magazine with practice they arent that slow either. Being a newbie here I'll try to tread carefully. While I'm not against high capacity in a civillian self defense it will most likely be differant than if I was in military or a LEO. People often talk about catastrophic failures with a revolver. If you keep your revolver maintain the catastrophic failures are very very slim. Just my 2 cents. A book I really enjoyed was Grant Cunninghams book of Revolvers. Its a good read.

Only one auto loader I own now and the other 8 are revolvers. I guess I like revolvers a lot more.
    Eric357 likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I have a SP101, DAO and I have a S&W 686+ on lay-a-way. The 686 will be taking over bedside gun for my 1911. I really trust revolvers more and the wife may have to pick up a gun at some point and she sure isnt going to learn the manual of arms for the 1911.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links