The Importance Of Having A Revolver - Page 7

The Importance Of Having A Revolver

This is a discussion on The Importance Of Having A Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is that 686 a new one or a used one? I'd love to hear how you like it after you get it especially if its ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: The Importance Of Having A Revolver

Is that 686 a new one or a used one? I'd love to hear how you like it after you get it especially if its a newer one. I dont own a S&W yet but have often thought about one. I'm just not sure about the the lock and hole. I only have 2 revolvers and the wife has 1. I have a 3inch Sp101 and a 5inch gp100. Wife has a 7 shot Taurus.

There are lots of good points in this thread. I can only speak for myself. Iam 60 an have had several operations on my shoulder an elbow leaving me weak in that arm. I had several limp wrist failures with my 1911 at the range which proved to me that I need to stay with revolvers. I have put several hundred rounds through each of my SP101 an S&W mod sixty never had a prob. Everone needs to carry which ever they can present quickly an on target. The more I read in these forums the more I am impressed with the number of Americans who stand up an take responsibilty for thier own safety and of those around them. I truely believe that carrying a concealed weapon keeps me be aware of my surroundings an makes me walk with deliberate purpose, sending a signal that I am not a victum so stay away. Thanks to all of you who take on this responsibilty, you just might save my life one day.
    Philly Boy, Eric357 and BamaT like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
    Right now I have 2? semi-autos for CC. a 9mm and a .45. I was thinking of adding a .38 special as a home defence gun. Strictly for that role and a range gun not to carry. I wanted something that was dead simple just point and pull the trigger. No slide to rack, or anything. I saw a hammerless Ruger Police Service Six for 275.00.
    What are your opinions on having or needing a revolver in your collection based off the fact that it is simple to use and maintain
    Never saw a gun I didn't like. That's as good an excuse to buy it as any.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Superacerc View Post
    ...I just picked up my .44 today as a bear gun and like it so much, I will be carrying it for a while in place of the .357. Theres just something magical, perhaps simply nostalgic about a revolver. Im using 44 specials for carry and figure the stopping power of that nice wide bullet will be beneficial if the need arises.
    I'm mostly a semi-auto guy, but I love my .44's. Which one did you get?

Mine are all too big for practical CC except possibly under heavy winter clothes (which we don't wear much of down here).
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

We'll try this again as my last post must have gone into cyberspace.
    Although they don't have the firepower of an auto a revolver works first time every time and if one has an arm disabled it still works without racking a slide to clear a jam etc. I have a couple of Kahrs and the 9MM is flawless in operation but the .40 is now going back to Kahr for the second time. (PM9 and PM40) I just don't have that worm fuzzy feeling with an auto CC that I do with a revolver and now I carry a S&W Airweight.
    BamaT likes this.

My 2.25" SP101 is in arm's reach(actually about 10") as I type this. I'm a firm believer in "5(or 6)for sure". A quality revolver should be part of any 'gunslinger's' arsenal !(LOL)
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Re: The Importance Of Having A Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I'm mostly a semi-auto guy, but I love my .44's. Which one did you get?

Mine are all too big for practical CC except possibly under heavy winter clothes (which we don't wear much of down here).
    I got a taurus m44 4" tracker. Its blued and has a ported barrel.

Distinguished Member
    My first revolver (okay 2nd if you count my .22LR SA Only) is on its way to me. Bought it from someone on this forum. It is the Chiappa Rhino (.357 Mag/38 Spl). Quite the interesting revolver as it shoots from the BOTTOM cylinder. That does almost eliminate any muzzle flip and also aids in perceived recoil. I had the chance to shoot one at the range (rented it) and found I did want to get it. So, by sometime next week I should have it in my hands and will go to the range and have some fun.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superacerc View Post
    I got a taurus m44 4" tracker. Its blued and has a ported barrel.
    I also have a 4" M44, but in stainless. It's one of my pig-hunting sidearms. Great gun, for the money!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    They don't spit brass!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I suppose anything mechanical can fail but I've never seen a revolver fail/lock up. At the moment I'm between revolvers but I do like them, although I'm mainly an auto guy. They are pretty simple to operate, very reliable and quite robust (assuming you buy a decent one). They also work with basically any ammo- no more fiddling around trying to find a bullet shape that will reliably feed and cycle thru your gun.

I'm in love with this 586. May be my next purchase:

150908_01_lg.jpg
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Revolvers? Yeah I got a couple of them around.

B81B60F0CCA549EA9344628011439742.jpg
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

The Importance Of Having A Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I'm in love with this 586. May be my next purchase:
    Oh! The blue finish and those old-school wooden grips look great! I've got a 686 I bought around 20 years ago and I still love that gun.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I am thinking about more revolvers because I am very worried that I won't be able to own most of my pistols anymore in the near future. :(
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links