The Importance Of Having A Revolver

This is a discussion on The Importance Of Having A Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now I have 2? semi-autos for CC. a 9mm and a .45. I was thinking of adding a .38 special as a home defence ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: The Importance Of Having A Revolver

Right now I have 2? semi-autos for CC. a 9mm and a .45. I was thinking of adding a .38 special as a home defence gun. Strictly for that role and a range gun not to carry. I wanted something that was dead simple just point and pull the trigger. No slide to rack, or anything. I saw a hammerless Ruger Police Service Six for 275.00.
    What are your opinions on having or needing a revolver in your collection based off the fact that it is simple to use and maintain
    Eagleks likes this.

What are your opinions on having or needing a revolver in your collection based off the fact that it is simple to use and maintain
    Revolvers are certainly something I want in my collection. Simple to use and maintain?? Yeah, I guess they are but my love affair with revolvers can't be explained quite that simply.

I think revolvers have a well earned place in either or both self defense (carry) and home defense. Simple, reliable, easy to load and unload, easy to tell if it is loaded, point and boom. Small, medium, and large revolvers have specific purposes to serve. A good j frame snubnosed revolver is a great versatile carry piece (pants pocket, coat pocket - you can carry and fire a hammerless snub through a coat pocket in the winter without having to dig for your primary under layers, IWB, OWB, SOB, ankle, smartcarry, etc.). I typically carry an airweight 38+P in my weak side pants pocket for secondary access. I also have a good 4" bbl Police Service Six in .357 Mag as both carry, woods, and home defense depending on situation. And my SP101 .357 which is a little bigger and heavier than the S&W airweight but handles heavy load .357 great. It can also be shot with .38s. With the option of 2" or 3" barrel, spurred or DAO hammer, numerous grip choices, and the endless variety of .357 and .38 loads the SP101 in .357 is the most versatile revolver you can get. It can be set-up to fit any level of shooter and be taylored to any number of uses.
    teach, Bad Bob and scgunlover1 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I carry a full size semi auto side arm strong side and I also have a S&W 649 in my front right pocket in a Mika pocket holster. Works for me. Remember the quickest reload is a second gun!!!
    crossfireltd and Bullet1234 like this.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

In truth I don't think there is anything simpler to use and maintain than a Glock. If you are wondering about reasons to add a revolver to your collection, BugDude lists excellent reasons in his post. If you are simply looking for simplicity and easy maintenance you don't necessarily need a revolver. I own and carry both revolvers and semi autos. I owned and carried revolvers for many years before I got around to including semi autos so it's no wonder that I'm very comfortable with wheel guns and will always have them. I have noticed what seems to me some renewed interest in revolvers of late.
    remington79 likes this.

I own 2 revolvers. My very first handgun was a Rossi Model 68 .38 special and I've put thousands of rounds through it. I also own a Uberti Cattleman(colt SAA clone) single action .45 LC This I bought for fun and hog hunting. I keep the .45LC on my nightstand and the .38 stays in the living room hidden. I have no children and anytime we have company I put all my firearms away. I think everybody should own a revolver of some type. Probably a .357 for obvious reasons. Like you said, point and shoot. I would definitely look into one of the hammerless .357s if I were you. If I didn't already have my .38 I'd buy one.

Cool

If it is in good condition I would jump on the Ruger Police Service Six as the price is very resonable and it would be a great 1st time revolver..

My SP-101
    photo.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Revolvers are a great firearm to have, and everybody should own at least one. But don't be fooled into thinking that a revolver can't/won't fail you...they CAN lock up. If it's mechanical, it can fail.
    rhinokrk, OD*, blitzburgh and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Definitely a worthwhile addition no matter what the reason however I'd rather clean my glock than any of my revolvers any day, just sayin.

The Ruger sounds like a great deal and would be a fine choice for a first revolver. Spend some time at the range with it and you may find you are drawn to wanting more!

Yea nothing simpler than a Glock. But I love my Ruger SP101, just not as much as my Glock 22.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

My first firearm; Smith & Wesson 640-3 and I hope to never part with it, kind of like that "first" car feeling because I picked it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Yea nothing simpler than a Glock. But I love my Ruger SP101, just not as much as my Glock 22.
    Exactly how I feel with my Glock-36 and my SP101...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I must admit that I am very old school, I love revolvers. I don't think there is a better defensive handgun. Granted most semi-auto carry more rounds than a wheel gun and might be quicker in reloading, but the revolver goes bang every time where a auto can jam, because of more working parts. A revolver tends to be able to shoot straighter and when shooting with the .357 mag, .41 mag or the .44 mag provides better knock down power then just about all semi-autos.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    but the revolver goes bang every time where a auto can jam, because of more working parts.
    I love revolvers too(especially my LCR) but it's important to realize that even revolvers can fail and when they do it can be a catastrophic failure. Just something to consider!
    rhinokrk likes this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links