Made a Decision - Colt Commando Special

This is a discussion on Made a Decision - Colt Commando Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted the other day about deciding between the SP101 and the Colt Commando Special, both in .38 sp. Well, I decided on the Colt ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: Made a Decision - Colt Commando Special

I posted the other day about deciding between the SP101 and the Colt Commando Special, both in .38 sp. Well, I decided on the Colt for several reasons: smaller, lighter, 6 rounds, and I figure it won't go down in value. It also has the hammer bobbed already which I would have probably done with the Ruger. After comparing the two for front pocket carry, the Ruger was a little on the hefty side - I could have dealt with it but I'm happy with the Colt. It also has an amazing trigger. Now I have decide on grips (Hogue, I'm thinking) and pocket carry as well as SOB holsters.

colt2.jpgColt1.jpg
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

OD*
    Good looking Colt, congrats.

If you're going to carry in the pocket, you might consider a less "tacky" set of stocks for your new Colt.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

GM
    That was a nice piece, and it is a Colt. Congrats
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Can't go too far wrong with either, but your thinking process came up with some good reasons for your choice. Enjoy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good choice and sound reasoning. Since they aren't making the Colt any more it was better to get that now since it was available. It will feel better in pocket than the Ruger and the trigger on those DS models is always nice. Down the road, if you ever want a Ruger, you'll have no trouble locating dozens of them. By that time, the Colt might be worth more than you just paid for it.

VIP Member
    Sweet little Pony and as Ivan said they are getting harder to find and the Rugers are still being made.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Good looking Colt, congrats.

If you're going to carry in the pocket, you might consider a less "tacky" set of stocks for your new Colt.
    OD* makes a thoughtful suggestion here. The tacky, grabby stocks may work fine for you but you might experiment with them in a pocket if you consider carrying in that fashion. The last few Smith & Wesson revolvers I've purchased came with rubber grips. I love pocket carry, frequently without any holster at all, and the rubber grips clung to fabric too much to suit me.

Some custom wood boot grips or else older style factory panels with a Tyler T-Grip can offer an alternative if needed.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'd like to have that choice to make with no 2nd thoughts ,short of unreasonable pricing, i also would have taken that Colt home

congrats, enjoy. Love mine. I have Pachymayr grips on mine that came with the gun, those look and feel great to me.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Welcome to the forum. Very nice find on the Colt. You can always get an SP-101 but that Colt only comes around once in a great while. Enjoy it !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links